• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police using Valentines for Gun control

forever_frost

imported post

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29195216/?GT1=43001

COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Police in South Carolina are giving out roses on Valentine's Day. All you have to do is turn in a gun.

Authorities are running the "Guns for Roses" program Saturday at two locations in the central part of the state.

Anyone who turns in a gun gets a free rose and an electronics store gift card. A handgun gets a $100 gift card, while a rifle or shotgun nets a $50 gift card.

Richland County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Chris Cowan says there has already been a great turnout at one Columbia location and deputies have seized about 75 guns in the first 90 minutes.

He says there is no amnesty for gun owners. The weapons are checked to see if they are stolen and ballistics test will also be done.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

lol Dangit! I wish I had known about this. I would have headed down there and offered $125 for every decent handgun and $75 for the long guns. :D

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Richland County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Chris Cowan says there has already been a great turnout at one Columbia location and deputies have seized about 75 guns in the first 90 minutes.
So my question is to whether that was the police spokesman's word or the reporter's word? On a gun "buyback" wouldn't "accepted" be a more appropriate word.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
So my question is to whether that was the police spokesman's word or the reporter's word? On a gun "buyback" wouldn't "accepted" be a more appropriate word.

Hahaha! That's awesome. Even they know it's that much of a rip off.

Hang on, let me go get my $900 handgun and turn it in for $100 gift card. Who participates in these things? Like someone else said, I'll set up a table next to them andtakeanything decentfor $125. :lol:

Tumbleweeds

imported post

My bet is the only guns they got were junk guns going to the scrap heep anyway. I'd give a junk gun up for $100 and buy ammo for my expensive working guns.

YllwFvr

imported post

something similair was done here not too long ago. My local firearms dealer DID go down but he didnt have a whole lot of cash so he only walked away with an AR, four shotguns, and two rifles. Handguns you cant buy in Pa like that. Too bad. At least he made his money back. He got a Mossberg with a folding stock, relfex sight, and ashort barrel (18"??). WOW it was gorgeous! Asked $300 too bad I cant get it!

Statesman

imported post

Despite the voluntary nature of the "seizure" program, perhaps someone should drop this brochure off next time to keep things in perspective.

MassMurderersAgree.jpg

Pamiam

imported post

In spite of the AP hype, I venture a guess that there weren't many gangbangers lined up to turn in viable weapons.

Most likely the stuff turned in was damaged beyond repair and couldn't be given away.

A gunsmith friend has a collection of stuff like that in his shop. Likely the fellow touted as "turning in 6 handguns" was a smithy. Got himself 1/2 dozen roses and 600 bucks for a handful of worthless junk. Good for him! ((((applause)))

:celebrate

LEO 229

imported post

forever_frost wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29195216/?GT1=43001

COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Police in South Carolina are giving out roses on Valentine's Day. All you have to do is turn in a gun.

Authorities are running the "Guns for Roses" program Saturday at two locations in the central part of the state.

Anyone who turns in a gun gets a free rose and an electronics store gift card. A handgun gets a $100 gift card, while a rifle or shotgun nets a $50 gift card.

He says there is no amnesty for gun owners. The weapons are checked to see if they are stolen and ballistics test will also be done.
I see the word "seized" was used but I thought this was a voluntary turn in program.

The term seized is where the you take something possibly by force.

It would seem the program is more about a trade where the guns are given.

I always enjoy the media and the terms they incorrectly use. Like My house was robbed!! I guess a person can be burglarized too!! :lol:

Sheriff

imported post

forever_frost wrote:
Police in South Carolina are giving out roses on Valentine's Day. All you have to do is turn in a gun.

Guess this lastest program, just one of hundreds nationwide,once again blows a hole in the theory that most cops are pro-gun? :lol:

I have sympathy for any person who believes that even a small minority of cops in this nation are pro-gun.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
something similair was done here not too long ago. My local firearms dealer DID go down but he didnt have a whole lot of cash so he only walked away with an AR, four shotguns, and two rifles. Handguns you cant buy in Pa like that. Too bad. At least he made his money back. He got a Mossberg with a folding stock, relfex sight, and ashort barrel (18"??). WOW it was gorgeous! Asked $300 too bad I cant get it!

What are people retarded!?!?! I'm scouring the earth trying to find one for a decent price and they're giving them away to the fuzz for $100. :banghead:

LEO 229

imported post

Funny, most of the cops I know are actually for guns and gun ownership. There is only 1 cop that I can think of that is against guns and think they should be banned.

Since I am in active employment with almost 2 decades of experience I can speak for the current opinion of cops I have been around. I have not been out of circulation for the past couple of years like some other people. But even so, a few years back it was the same way... most cops support gun ownership.

The cash for guns program is actually targeted at those who are older and have guns strewn about the house that are not being used any more. They no longer do any recreational shooting and have probably never experienced a need to fend off a burglar.

They do not have the strength to shoot it and maybe the cost of ammo does not factor into their fixed income any longer. This is a way to get rid of it easy enough and know that it is not going to get into the hands of a bad guy.

So these programs are not geared to get criminals to turn over their guns... it is for those that have unused guns they no longer need.

The true purpose is to prevent that unused gun from being stolen during a burglary or used family members that maybe should not have access to them for some specific reason.

Nobody is forcing these people to sell their guns. People sell guns all the time. You can sell your gun on many web sites or at gun shows. But this takes time and you have to know how to maybe use the internet.

In this case, the police are willing to pay a fixed amount if you are willing to sell for that price. Some places have paid $200 for handguns and $0 for rifles. But again, do not like the price? Go to the pawn shop or put an add on the internet and sell it yourself if you want more money.

It all comes down to the fact you are willing to sell it. Do not expect to get the full value for the gun selling tot he police. The guns are going to be destroyed... not resold.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Funny, most of the cops I know are actually for guns and gun ownership. There is only 1 cop that I can think of that is against guns and think they should be banned.

I notice that you have a lot of unique, very out of the ordinary experiences when it comes to law enforcement personnel. I have to lawl atsome of the stuff you say.

As for the purpose of buy-backs, that appears to be another of your unique experiences. I have NEVER seen a buy-backmarketed as an event for the old folks to turn in guns they can'tafford to feed. The idea behind buy-backs is getting "evil" guns off themean streets ofAmerica. The police aren't doing the old folks a service, they're leading dumb citizens to believe that they're doing something good for society, almost like a charity donation, when they give their guns away.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The cash for guns program is actually targeted at those who are older and have guns strewn about the house that are not being used any more. They no longer do any recreational shooting and have probably never experienced a need to fend off a burglar.

They do not have the strength to shoot it and maybe the cost of ammo does not factor into their fixed income any longer. This is a way to get rid of it easy enough and know that it is not going to get into the hands of a bad guy.

So these programs are not geared to get criminals to turn over their guns... it is for those that have unused guns they no longer need.

The true purpose is to prevent that unused gun from being stolen during a burglary or used family members that maybe should not have access to them for some specific reason.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Disarm the elderly so they are a much easier target for criminals. Being a criminal has been hard work up to now, a criminal never knows when a resident might pull out a gun to defend themselves.

Your public safety tax dollars at work, making the public safe in their homes. Uh huh! Yeah, sure! :lol:

-------------------------------

As Fox News reports, an 85 year old woman from Point Mariod, PA was at home when a burglar broke in to her home at about 3pm. Leda Smith went to her bedroom, got her handgun, and held the 17 year old male intruder at gunpoint. She then made him pick up the phone and call the police, who arrived and arrested him.

This is just one of the approximately 2.5 million times each year that Americans defend themselves with guns. Here, an elderly lady was able to hold a home invader at bay while making him call the police on himself. Guns truly are the great equalizer, allowing the elderly to stop a 17 year old male home invader. I shudder to think what might have happened to this woman had she been defenseless, having seen the burglar’s face and being able to identify him.

----------------------------------

Charles ‘Johnny’ Johnson is 91 years old. He has been married to Berlie Mae Johnson, who is 90 years old, for the last 72 years. At around 4pm, two home invaders broke in to their Ocoee, Florida home. One of the home invaders placed a gun to the head of Berlie Mae Johnson, who was sitting in her wheelchair. The criminals also ripped the phone from the wall, so that the police could not be called. Mr. Johnson, however, was prepared for this type of situation, and and grabbed his decades-old .38 caliber revolver. One home invader immediately ran, and Mr. Johnson fired a shot at the remaining home invader (who was holding a gun to his wife’s head.) Mr. Johnson is unsure whether he hit that home invader, who also took off running, leaving the elderly couple uninjured. The police are searching for the criminals, and have notified emergency rooms to be on the lookout for a person with an unexplained gunshot wound, in case Mr. Johnson’s bullet did in fact hit the criminal.

Guns are the great equalizer that allowed this 91 year old man to defend his 90 year old wife against armed home invaders. Without a gun, it is unlikely that an elderly man would be able to defend himself, or his wife who was in a wheelchair, against armed criminals. Also note that even if both the criminals and the elderly couple had had no guns, it is almost certain that the younger and stronger criminals would have been able to stab or beat this elderly couple into submission (or to death).

Instead, this elderly man had a gun, and was able to single handedly eject two home invaders from his home, saving himself and his wife. This is no isolated incident, either. This 84 year old man was able to use his handgun to defend himself and his elderly wife, just as this 85 year old woman was able to hold a home invader at gunpoint and make him call the police on himself. Time and time again, guns allow the elderly to defend themselves against young criminals who see them as easy targets.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Disarm the elderly so they are a much easier target for criminals. Being a criminal has been hard work up to now, a criminal never knows when a resident might pull out a gun to defend themselves.

Your public safety tax dollars at work, making the public safe in their homes. Uh huh! Yeah, sure! :lol:

Yea, but come on.... fixed income, expensive ammo, big recoil. Better if they just take their chances. They haven't needed a gun yet, right? :quirky

Sheriff

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Yea, but come on.... fixed income, expensive ammo, big recoil. Better if they just take their chances. They haven't need a gun yet, right? :quirky
Dayum! I had to look up at the user name, I thought I was reading another reply from Reno229! :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I notice that you have a lot of unique, very out of the ordinary experiences when it comes to law enforcement personnel. I have to lawl atsome of the stuff you say.

As for the purpose of buy-backs, that appears to be another of your unique experiences. I have NEVER seen a buy-backmarketed as an event for the old folks to turn in guns they can'tafford to feed. The idea behind buy-backs is getting "evil" guns off themean streets ofAmerica. The police aren't doing the old folks a service, they're leading dumb citizens to believe that they're doing something good for society, almost like a charity donation, when they give their guns away.
What I tell you is my experiences. YMMV. It is the internet, take it for what it is worth. I would not worry about it much since it is free. When you start paying then maybe you want to be concerned about the content you are receiving. :lol:

I guess you do not read much. Here you go. I will point you to something that backs up my opinion on the subject. ;)

http://www.rockawave.com/news/2009/0130/top_stories/020.html
"If you have any old guns lying around the house, you can get some cash when you cash them in," he said.
McMahon went on to say it is an excellent opportunity for older people who were in the military and former police officers to turn in weapons that have been in their possession for years and in return receive monetary help.

http://www.mcsm.org/buyback.html

http://www.kc3.com/news/buybacks_fail.htm