• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Change in Wyoming Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Mjolnir

imported post

State of Wyoming Dave Freudenthal, Governor
Office of the Attorney General
Division of Criminal Investigation Bruce A. Salzburg
Forrest C. Bright, Director Attorney General

MEMORANDUM

TO: All Wyoming Sheriffs
All Wyoming Chiefs of Police

DATE: February 12, 2009

RE: Concealed Firearm Permit Reciprocity

I am writing to let all the agencies in Wyoming know of substantial changes resulting from review of other states’ concealed firearm criteria. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office recently completed examination of the other 49 states statutes for the purpose of honoring concealed firearms permits issued by another state, or reciprocity.

Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-401(a)(iii), Wyoming will recognize a permit from another state that “has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general . . ..” The Wyoming Attorney General has determined that with the exception of 8 states, presently all the others concealed firearm permit statutes are not sufficiently similar to Wyoming’s. Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous statutes do not.

The Wyoming Attorney General holds that if a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies a Wyoming resident, is also needs to disqualify an out-of-state permit holder. Due to the difference in how each state handles controlled substance convictions, Wyoming is also limited in our ability to maintain reciprocity with states we may have previously.

Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts, and Utah.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

At least they finally made their policy official and consistent. Now, we need to get the Wyoming Legislature to change the reciprocity statute to eliminate the "proper background check" language that the Attorney General is grossly abusing to revoke almost all of Wyoming's reciprocity agreements and/or place a time limit on how long a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies someone from getting a permit.

Mjolnir

imported post

Anubis wrote:
What is the origin of the quoted text? (I know it's a letter from the AG, but where did you see this?)
From a LEO agency it was addressed to..............

Anubis

imported post

Damn!

The WY web pagehttp://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWP.html still states "The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office eagerly seeks reciprocity with other states pertaining to the concealed carry of firearms, and continues to negotiate with other states for reciprocity in this area."

Guess he's not so eager now. I hope that at least open carry will remain an option for us.

jrfoxx

imported post

Interesting that they will be honoring Oregon permits, as I know (lived in OR for the 2.5 years prior to moving to moving here to Evanston,WY a few months ago) that OR only cares about misdemeanor controlled substance convictions that are within (give or take a little, I don't recall EXACTLY) the 3 or five years prior to applying, whereas the WY statute seems to imply, or at least leave open the interpretation, of it being a PERMANENT ban, since, as hinted at by a response above, they don't give a time frame.