• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had to draw in the middle of the night

delp1213

imported post

Well last saturday at about 2am the door to our apartment started making noise, I woke up to the sound since it is only 10 feet from our bedroom. I sat up in bed but it stopped, waited for about 10 seconds and then walked over and looked through the peep hole to see nothing but the hallway.

Two days later on a monday night at about 3 am I heard the door again, this time much more intense. Not just the rattle of the door from someone else in the building closing theirs but the actual door nob jiggiling like it was trying to be opened. Immediately upon hearing the sound of the door knob my .45 XD was in my hand, glad I keep it in a holster between my bed and night stand. The girlfriend woke up hearing the same noise, I ran to the door, looked through the peep hole but they were gone, i could hear someone running down the stairs in the hallway.

Nothing has happened again, but man did it scare the crap outta me and the girlfriend. I was instantly soooo glad that I keep my 45 right there that I can get it in a second, as well as that I ALWAYS deadbolt my door. Im also quite glad that the girlfirend is muuuch happier that I own guns, know how to use them, and even keep one right by the bed :)

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My house has been broken into twice, glad to hear your ready! I would definately keep some lights on "if possible" or get a dog, it is nerve racking to know that someone may be trageting you for something. At my house I can't keep my gun loaded and instantly accesable, we have a family of 5, a dysfunctional five. But having that gun loaded and close to you is the smartest choice, it gives you an oppurtunity to protect yourself, even if you are body is pinned.

Good luck and stay safe!

ben

delp1213

imported post

yeah when I was about 14 home alone watching TV while my parents were at a dinner party and my brothers were working someone tried to break in to my house. Every door was tried by the perp. I grabbed my dads 20 gauge ( I know that sounds sketch but I was raised hunting and knew how to safely handle a firearm ) didnt have any shells though, called the police and waited in the kitchen. When the guy came to the sliding door, it opened, he stuck his head in and saw me. I racked it, and he about crapped himself and took off. I have never been the same since, and am always ready. As I say to my liberal friends "I trust myself with a gun, but I do not trust the world."

gunman

imported post

I was robbed a week before christmas was'nt home. they stole all the kids presents and broke into my gun cabinet,and took my rugar 9mm.

Hiredgun30

imported post

a flashlight is avaluable toolalso.... there is nothing wrong with flashing your light thru

ur window to let the criminals know u are awake...i have done that before..

jhow1nm2

imported post

BJA,

I have a curious 3 year old...safety is of utmost concern. When asleep, my Glock 27 is locked in a gun safe beside my bed. I can do the finger combo in the dark. It's loaded, and one in the chamber.

YllwFvr

imported post

jhow1nm2 wrote:
BJA,

I have a curious 3 year old...safety is of utmost concern. When asleep, my Glock 27 is locked in a gun safe beside my bed. I can do the finger combo in the dark. It's loaded, and one in the chamber.

imagewrap.img

Finger print safe marked at $115 at

http://www.safetysafeguards.com/site/402168/product/GV1000CDLX

bordsnbikes

imported post

+1 bazillion to the Gun Vault. You can get in to it fast, it keeps your kids away from the gun and if the bad guy is in your room before you wake up he can't get it either. Bad guys have gotten peoples weapons and used it against them many times because they were sitting out in the open. It's crazy to have a gun just laying out beside your bed, the only thing I think is crazier is not having a gun at all. The Gun Vault's are relatively inexpensive ($79.88 at one place I looked) too. Sadly the reason most people don't get them is because it's not as cool of an accessory as the light, or holster, or night sights, or whatever else you want. It is however a lot better investment after you have the basics of a gun and holster.

delp1213

imported post

yeah i will get one of those safes next year when i get home from iraq. i agree that it makes sense, and its dangerous to have someone else (good guy or bad guy) be able to to get to your gun. but i live in an apartment with the girlfriend, she is competent with a weapon, and we have zero kids around. my .45 is kept between the bed and night stand in a holster, if u didnt know it was there you would never see it.

Hammer

imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:
a flashlight is avaluable toolalso.... there is nothing wrong with flashing your light thru

ur window to let the criminals know u are awake...i have done that before..
I do something similar, only my tactical light is beside the gun and cell phone. The wife gets the cell phone duty, not to be hung up until I call all clear. The Tac light stays off so as not to give away my position.
The Tac light is bright enough to stun momentarily. When the gun laser comes to rest on the BG COM, they'd best obey orders.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Delp, I know you didn't think of this at the time, but you should have called the police. If who ever was testing your door wasn't wearing gloves, there's a chance that the cops might have been able to pull a print from the door knob. And if by chance the person testing your door already had a criminal record, the police would be able to be on hte lookout for them.

I would suggest you start wiping down your door knob before you retire for the evening, and be ready to call the cops if this happens again.

ddog101775

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Delp, I know you didn't think of this at the time, but you should have called the police. If who ever was testing your door wasn't wearing gloves, there's a chance that the cops might have been able to pull a print from the door knob. And if by chance the person testing your door already had a criminal record, the police would be able to be on hte lookout for them.

I would suggest you start wiping down your door knob before you retire for the evening, and be ready to call the cops if this happens again.
excellent advice. reading this thread, i didn't even think about getting prints. great idea!

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
jhow1nm2 wrote:
BJA,

imagewrap.img

Finger print safe marked at $115 at

http://www.safetysafeguards.com/site/402168/product/GV1000CDLX
Just FYI that isn't a fingerprint safe, it's a combination safe.

The biometric ones are quite a bit more expensive:
imagewrap.img

http://www.safetysafeguards.com/site/402168/product/GVB1000

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

delp you may want to invest $15-$20 in a door handle mounted alarm. The ones I'm thinking of simply strap over the door handle and alarm when disturbed. A simple turn of the knobor jiggling of the knob may set off the alarm alerting you to the fact that the door is being accessed and make the potential entrant aware that the door is alarmed. The alarm or chime (your alarm may have options) allow you to adjust how loud you want it to be and it should wake you up prior to the door actually being breached.

YllwFvr

imported post

Ianmtx wrote:
Just FYI that isn't a fingerprint safe, it's a combination safe.

The biometric ones are quite a bit more expensive:
imagewrap.img

http://www.safetysafeguards.com/site/402168/product/GVB1000
Hey thanks! Thats exactly what I meant a Bio safe. I did a google search for images. They look so similair. Yes a bio safe is exactly what you want. You know I thought 115 seemed an awfully low number.