Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Got a question about person to person trasfer.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    , ,

    Post imported post

    I am buying a handgun from my friend of mine and we want to do a person to person transfer with bill of sale and FOID card copies on the bill of sale, is this legal in IL as long as you have a FOID card? I heard in some states it's only legal for long guns.

  2. #2
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Elgin, Illinois, USA

    Post imported post

    If the Buyer has a FOID card and you are both Illinois residents you can make the sale. You must abide by the three day waiting period before transferring the gun to the buyer. So make sure the sale takes place at least 3 days prior to your meet-up.

    If the buyer and seller are not Illinois residents the sale must go through an FFL, but the transfer to the buyer could be at the same time as long as the sale took place at least 3 days prior.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts