• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got a question about person to person trasfer.

DC

imported post

I am buying a handgun from my friend of mine and we want to do a person to person transfer with bill of sale and FOID card copies on the bill of sale, is this legal in IL as long as you have a FOID card? I heard in some states it's only legal for long guns.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

If the Buyer has a FOID card and you are both Illinois residents you can make the sale. You must abide by the three day waiting period before transferring the gun to the buyer. So make sure the sale takes place at least 3 days prior to your meet-up.

If the buyer and seller are not Illinois residents the sale must go through an FFL, but the transfer to the buyer could be at the same time as long as the sale took place at least 3 days prior.