• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RUGER P95

PYRO PSR

imported post

anybody own a ruger p95 or ever shot one before? im lookin into buying one but am not sure if its a good buy. any personal info on the gun?

Ruger Fan

imported post

It's a good, solidgun. A friend of my Dad's that does shooting competitions relates them to a good workhorse in that they are dependable and get the job done. He doesn't use them in his competitions though. For the money, it's a great gun. Easy to use and maintain, very dependable and will eat any ammo I load in the mag.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ruger or Beretta are fine sidearms, if your a bit more quality orientated; look at Sig Sauer, and H&K. You can go to a range and rent sidearms to try to see what ones bop your bippy. I love Sig and Springfield arms. Whatever feels right in the hands is the one for you.

t3rmin

imported post

Love my P95. Eats anything. The 17-rd Mec-Gar mags for it rock.

Uncle Mike's kydex paddle is the only OC holster that'll fit the model w/ rail.

PavePusher

imported post

My girlfriend and I just tried a P95 at the Marksman here in Tucson on Saturday (we're shopping around for a gun for her). We both hated it because we couldn't seem to find a grip that wouldn't cause a finger or knuckle to bump the magazine release every 2-3 rounds, dropping the mag and locking the gun. Your mileage may vary but, as always with a gun purchase, try before you buy.

She also doesn't like the new HK pistol. She likes the ergos of my Taurus PT1911, but not the recoil, even though she is 4 inches taller than me and an ex-track'n'field athelete. She re-e-a-ally likes the Taurus P92. Now she's wishing the 1911 came in a 9mm that didn't cost megabucks...

t3rmin

imported post

I've never had the accidental mag-drop problem myself, but it was plaguing my wife last time at the range. So I just removed the right-side release button. Never used it anyway. It pops out pretty easy with a little screwdriver.

PYRO PSR

imported post

so you're sayin the Uncle Mike's kydex paddle is the only holster that fits the p95?? or are you sayin that its the only holster that fits the p95 with something attached?

me812

imported post

PYRO PSR wrote:
anybody own a ruger p95 or ever shot one before? im lookin into buying one but am not sure if its a good buy. any personal info on the gun?
Ruger pistols are good guns and a great value. They're as tough and reliable as a gun gets. I used to own one and it never failed me, even though I bought it second hand and it lokked as if it had been to hell and back.

t3rmin

imported post

PYRO PSR wrote:
so you're sayin the Uncle Mike's kydex paddle is the only holster that fits the p95?? or are you sayin that its the only holster that fits the p95 with something attached?
There are two models of P95: those without a rail and those with a rail. Most of the molded holsters out there are for the non-rail model. If you have the rail model you're pretty much limited to the Uncle Mike's.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine open carry holster. Sturdier than Fobus. I've got the one with the thumb break, which I like. Kinda bulky, but it's OC anyway, right?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I also vouch for the Ruger. I owned a different model (P89), but it is very similar.

I put at least 10,000 rounds through it. Mostly my own loads. Not one failure in the whole time I owned it. And for the price, can't complain at all. I bought it 2nd hand, and paid under $300.

Sold it to a friend a few years back. He loves it.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
She likes the ergos of my Taurus PT1911, but not the recoil, even though she is 4 inches taller than me and an ex-track'n'field athelete.
That's funny! My Mother was looking for a handgun, and decided to try out my collection to see if anything suited her....

Keep in mind, she's 65+, she chose my PT1911AR. Put 4 mags through it and said she wanted one. She tried everything from my Beretta .22lr, Kel-tecs, .357 revolver, a few 9mm... She wants the 1911.

Don't piss off this grandma.....

usdm419

imported post

I own and daily carry a Ruger P97DC. I absolutely love it. My first handgun, and I think it will be my only. I can't see getting rid of what works. It fires every single time no matter what ammo I'm feeding it. I've had no issues with mag release problems, etc. I can honestly say that if I ever had to use it I would have no worries because it is going to fire.

I've had thoughts of "upgrading" to a Glock, but I just can't do it.

PYRO PSR

imported post

i just went to my local gun store and they had a used p95 for $260. i checked it out and i thought the frame was polymer but it wasnt the plastic material, it was metal.. what version of the p95 is this??

t3rmin

imported post

PYRO PSR wrote:
i just went to my local gun store and they had a used p95 for $260. i checked it out and i thought the frame was polymer but it wasnt the plastic material, it was metal.. what version of the p95 is this??

That couldn't be a P95 then...

PYRO PSR

imported post

i dont recall it sayin P95 on it... and yeah i knew it had a polymer frame but this gun didnt so i thought it was a different type of P95

usdm419

imported post

Should say P95 right on the slide:
kp95dpr.jpg