• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doug Huffman's letter to the lakeland times printed

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

My GF picked up the local paper yesterday, flops it on my lap with the paper opened to Dougs letter and says in an inqusitive way "Friend of yours?" I was very happy the times chose to print Dougs letter. Now I am curious to know if they did any editing from the original.

Link http://lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=11&SubSectionID=11&ArticleID=9106&TM=43056.57

Clearing the waters
[font="TIMES, SERIF"]To the Editor:

In his "Don't muddy the waters," (page 8, Feb. 3 edition) Mr. Wendel Kurr opened with the rhetorical announcement that Mr. Moore and "The Lakeland Times did a good job of raising some of the questions which relate to the complex topic of gun rights."

Unfortunately Mr. Kurr's rhetoric did nothing to clarify the topic or even to mention the questions raised but one.

In the midst of his exposition of opinion, he does ask, "How can an individual move about through the community ... while ensuring that the firearm he or she openly carries does not come into the wrong hands?"

It is common practice among open carriers to use a "retention holster" that features (often multiple) mechanical arrangements to ensure the gun cannot be improperly removed. Openly armed police officers usually carry their gun in a retention holster. The occurrence of a successful snatch from a legally armed, and open carrying citizen has never been documented.

Neither the Second Amendment to the Constitution of The United States nor Wisconsin's Constitution, Article I, Section 25 make any mention of training or of what might constitute proper training.

Indeed, the Second Amendment requires that it "shall not be infringed."

Doug Huffman

Washington Island
[/font]

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Here's the original e-mail body. The editing has been exceedingly gentle.

Dear Editor and Mr. Moore,

In his 'Don't muddy the waters', Mr. Wendel Kurr opened with the rhetorical announcement that Mr. Moore and "The Lakeland Times did a good job of raising some of the questions which relate to the complex topic of gun rights." Unfortunately Mr. Kurr' rhetoric did nothing to clarify the topic or even to mention the questions raised but one.

In the midst of his exposition of opinion, he does ask, "How can an individual move about through the community ... while ensuring that the firearm he or she openly carries does not come into the wrong hands?"

It is common practice amongst open carriers to use a 'retention holster' that features (often multiple) mechanical arrangements to ensure the gun cannot be improperly removed. Openly armed police officers usually carry their gun in a retention holster. The occurrence of a successful snatch from a legally armed, and open carrying, citizen has never been documented.

Neither the Second Amendment to the Constitution of The United States nor Wisconsin's Constitution, Article I, Section 25 make any mention of training or of what might constitute proper training. Indeed, the Second Amendment requires that it "shall not be infringed."

Doug Huffman
Washington Island
Wisconsin

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Didn't want to create a new thread about newspaper letters, but my letter was published in today's Journal Sentinel:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/39811367.html

GUN RIGHTS A good decision Brad Krause's innocent verdict in his Feb. 17 trial was a landmark victory for firearm owners in Wisconsin ("Man not guilty in open-carry gun case," Feb. 18).
No longer should law-abiding citizens refuse to open-carry their firearms in fear of wrongly being arrested for disorderly conduct, because, as this case clearly shows, there's nothing disorderly in Wisconsin about going about your daily business and openly carrying a firearm. It is clearly allowed under Wisconsin law.
Congratulations to Krause, as his case gives hope that the days of unlawful arrest for openly carrying a firearm are past.
Greg Plautz
Greenfield