• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying revolvers or autoloaders and why

Do you carry a revolver or an autoloader?

• Revolver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Auto loader

• I have both and switch it up.

• Total voters

Godscreation

imported post

I'm not trying to start a debate, I am just curious who carries which type and why. Do you prefer an auto loader; max ammo, easier to conceal (a moot point if your OCing) easier to reload, or a revolver; dependable, no bells or whistles, just pull the trigger.

I carry a Glock 19 (OC) and a Glock 26 (CC). I have never carried both at the same time though.

Kivuli

imported post

I carry a USP .45 full size because it fits my huge hands, I'm intimately familiar with its care and feeding, and I want to be able to reload the weapon in seconds if I need to.

NCHornet

imported post

I have always preferred a semi auto, more firepower and faster reloads and ease of concealing are just a few!! The new semi auto's are very reliable, so the reliability issue isn't as strong as it was 20 years ago!!
My wife carries a J frame 5 shot as she isn't strong enough to work the slide on my autos and the recoil makes her limp wrist and the gun jambs. Each person needs to carry what works for them. Just make sure you carry something!!

NCH

Johnston-Wake COPTF

imported post

I carry a Beretta 92FS Converted. Main reasons? It is what I carried in the Army and when I OC it fits comfortably in a holster on the back of my waist rather than on my hip (which is much more comfortable when driving) and also wears comfortable (without to much bulk or weight) in a drop-leg holster.

CC, I wear a Beretta PX4 40SW, outfitted with a 3-dot sight.

Prophet

imported post

I normally carry a 1911 but with everyone telling me how open carry is like the wild west I just had to get a six shooter which i carry from time to time.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

I carry a Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm compact. It holds 12+1 rounds.

I absolutely love this firearm, as I carry this open and concealed. It weighs a mere 18oz (unloaded).

As much as I love revolvers, I would never carry one as my method of protection. Their lack of ammo capacity and slow reloading time (even with a moonclip) are enough to keep me away.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

All though I only own autoloaders at the moment, I will add a revolver or a few to my arsenal some day. Revolvers are still very practical handguns, and they have their own unique benefits as well. The mainbenefit I like is the lack of a moving slide. In a pinch,a revolvercan be fired from the inside of a pocket or coat, while an autoloader's slide could easily get caught up in the material.Revolvers can also be fired extremely close to the body, or at less than optimal grip angles, without the risk of injury from the slide.

Autoloaders are more user friendly to reload, but with practice and a good speedloader, a revolver can be reloaded fast enough to negate that difference. If I did carry a revolver, it would probably take on a secondary roll, anyway.

Autoloaders are by no means better than revolvers, and vice versa. They each have their own unique properties that make them very practical as self defense tools.

chiefjason

imported post

I currently only OC in the car so I take my S&W 457 in45. I leave the kel tek P3AT 380 at home for the wife to use. Though my wife was eyeing a pink revolver in one of my NRA mags the other day. That may be in the near future. The S&W was just a good deal, but I got the Kel tek because it is simple to operate. My wife is not very familiar with pistols and the only real safety on the kel teck is a heavy trigger pull. Makes it about as easy to use as a revolver, with a few more rounds in case. But like the guy at the gun store told me, there are usually only 2 important shots in an encounter, the first two.

Custodian

imported post

I looked at revolvers. But there are so many!

.357 magnum/.38 special [.357's power, as I understand it, is only noticeable with a barrel length around 4 inches and above]

.41 magnum - the 10mm round equivalent or so I've been told

.44 magnum - the world's most powerful handgun, according to a movie, starring Clint Eastwood. [yeah, right, .454 Casull? .475 Wildey Magnum, and others?]

Either Colt, S&W, Ruger, or Charter

Gilly

imported post

I carry a semi-auto mainly baecuse I have never shot a revolver. But I also like having 14 rounds in my pistol as opposed to 5 or 6.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Because I'm a snob and only carry 1911's :p

Actually, I have never owned a revolver. My next purchase items on the wish list include a S&W 642 airweight and a Ruger Vaquero in .45 cal (my son wants a cowboy gun).

Jimmysbar

imported post

I carry a Sp101 .327 Mag in a belly band , its almost invisible.

I'd rather shoot well with 6 shots , than 8-12 poorly.

buzzsaw

imported post

I have both and have carried either type in the past. Not carrying presently. I have also carried a 10" TC single shot break action in .357 while working on the property but it pretty much gets in the way so I tend to leave it at home unless I'm going to the range or a competition.

Mungo

imported post

I use to be a huge revolver lover. A .38 S&W Hammerless revolver had been my favorite CCW for a long time. No hammer to get caught up in clothing and very easily and reliably fired from a coat pocket.

However, I have become a huge fan of automatics. There have been a couple of specific brands that I have had issues with FTFs, but they have either been fixed or sold. The rest have fired flawlessly.

I like both. In some cases a revolver is better to carry, in others an automatic is better. To me it's like a flat head screw driver is needed and in other cases a Phillips screwdriver is necessary. The right tool for the right job.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Both!!!!

I prefer the revolver on ankle, don't like a semi getting banged around
like the feet get. But Semi on the hip. If I find a good semi DAO for
my ankle I will consider it. I must admit I am falling in love with the
hammerless models. But don't see to many with decockers in the compacts.
And I do not want a cocked semi on my ankle.

You can OC the Wildey .475, it is just a long process to make holster, and
train with it. Can't wait for the MWC calls. Betting I never get a
"you a cop" question with it. It has taken me 4 months to work out
the holster, and will take another couple to train with it.
But wow what a bang for your buck.:celebrate:celebrate
Good thing we have a 3 legged bear running around these parts to justify
it.

kenpofan

Greater Metro Reidsville, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Revolver for ease of operation and dependability.

My Job requires me to carry a auto, but on my time, I stick with a S&W wheel gun .

I understand the FBI still reports 3 shots at 3 yard's in 3 seconds is the rule of thumb.

To each his own .

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

ahh, speaking of all this,

i just bought a brand new S&W 642 Airweight hammerless revolver (.38 Special), in stainless steel.

it's my first revolver, and i can't wait to shoot it!

what are the most popular types/brands of holsters for one of these?

FogRider

imported post

I've got a couple autos and a revolver, and they all get more or less equal rotation. The decision honestly is as much about the mood I'm in when I head out the door as it is anything else. If I know I might need to conceal I'll take my 1911, but other than that could very well come down to what holster is closest.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Prophet wrote:
I normally carry a 1911 but with everyone telling me how open carry is like the wild west I just had to get a six shooter which i carry from time to time.
:D