View Poll Results: Do you carry a revolver or an auto loader?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Revolver

7 11.67%
  • Auto Loader

35 58.33%
  • I have both so I mix it up.

18 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry preference: revolvers or auto loaders

Post imported post

I'm not trying to start a debate, I am just curious who carries which type and why. Do you prefer an auto loader; max ammo, easier to conceal (a moot point if your OCing) easier to reload, or a revolver; dependable, no bells or whistles, just pull the trigger.

I carry a Glock 19 (OC) and a Glock 26 (CC). I have never carried both at the same time though.

Post imported post

I only own autos, so that's what I carry. I'd like to get a concealable .38 revolver for a BUG at some point in time, but don't have the funds for it now.

In general, I prefer autos over the revolvers I've tried as the grip feels better for me. I've only tried .44 mag and .41 mag revolvers though.

Post imported post

My 1911 is my favorite handgun. I have several revolvers but am not as accurate with any of them (except my Python). All my revolvers are 3" bbl or longer and I don't have iwb holsters for them. I have a Charter arms Bulldog .44 that is the 3" that I may try to get a holster for and different grips and try it in the future.
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Post imported post

I have a Ruger SP101 (.357 mag, 2" bbl) that I frequently use for carry. It's seemed a tad heavy initially, but became comfortable.

I've been trying a Ruger P944 lately. It's physically a bit larger than the revolver, and not (yet) quite as comfortable.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

glock 20 baby yeah!

Post imported post

My 'grab and go' gun is a Taurus 650 CIA ('carry it anywhere') but I feel most secure carrying my M9 with 30 rounds vs. 10 with the 650.

Carry on.

Post imported post

Just got my CC license and an M&P 360. I carry it every day. The only place I can't carry is on base, but I've been parking off base and leaving it in the car. I'm actually trying to decide on an auto right now, as I have quite a bit of my tax return left and can afford just about anything. So far I haven't found anything that I like as much as my Smith and Wesson revolver. I might just buy another as a backup.

Post imported post

Ordinarily I carry an autoloader only, but depending on the circumstances I might also have revolver BUG.

Banned

Post imported post

Auto. More rounds the better.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Depends on the need. For two legged critters, a high capacity .45 auto because it conceals better if I need it out of sight, and reloads are easier to carry. For critters with more legs (or no legs) a revolver in either .44 or .50 Mag depending on where I am heading.

For long road trips a high cap .45, a .44 mag and a .50 S&W mag makes for a nice set that can handle most problems that might come along.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

IMHO, It all depends on which hand gun YOU are comfortable with. Reliability, accuracy, weight and EASE of use should come into mind.

Post imported post

2.5'' CHARTER ARMS BULLDOG PUG CHARLES DALY 45ACP 1911

Post imported post

Currently I carry G27 either in Blackhawk Serpa with Walther PPK/S in either ankle or should rig, or G27 shoulde rand Walther on ankle, that is only because I have not found my Colt Python yet

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

US Firearms SA .45LC "Rodeo" (Colt .45 clone) with 5.5 inch barrel. Handling a SA revolver is second nature to me as I've messed with them since I was a kid.

Currently carrying a Makarov IJ-70 9mm (9x18) w/8+1 cap,but will be getting a CZ82 w/12+1 cap (same cal as Mak) shortly.

Post imported post

I could have told you what the poll results are going to show. RevolverONLY carriers are far and few between. They are indeed out there, just not in numbers like 40 years ago. Auto-loaders now are very dependable, add that with an average 12 chances to hit your target and there's no wonder why they are popular.

Post imported post

My OC rig is an auto. It has over 1,500 rounds through it and it has never jammed or had a failure of any type. It is incredibly accurate, very controllable and so far has been 100% reliable. It's far too large to CC. (5+" barrel, .45 ACP)

My CC rig is a revolver. It is quite accurate, more powerful than my OC rig, but much less controllable. (3" barrel,.357 Magnum)

I require any carry gun to be 100% reliable. I'm not concerned with reloads for my .45 ACP because if 12+1 can't do the trick I'm ina situation gone terribly wrong where I should have my M1A with me instead. (I still carry 2 spare 12 rd mags anyways, but if I really need 36+1 there's something seriously wrong.)

For my CC rig I compromise some controllability for more concealability. I also lose capacity. 5 rounds is enough for any threat I am likely to face, but I do carry one speed-loader in case things go terribly wrong.

Different missions require different firearms, but reliabilityand accuracy arethe key factors I will never compromise on. I compromise some on caliber. The .45 ACP and .357 Mag are both proven man-stoppers, but I'd rather carry a .44 Mag, it's just too big and bulky for everyday use.

Post imported post

Although I have a classic S&W Mdl 10 .38 that would be very good for CC I have gotten to really like my new Springfield XD(M) .40 loaded with Gold Dot +P. I use a Blackhawk SERPA holster because of its positive retention and ease of drawing. With one spare mag on the belt, that gives me 16 rounds x2 so I could handle about anything that comes along. This rig works well for OC but also for CC with a bulky jacket. I have shied away from revolvers in the larger caliberswith barrels less than 3" because of the problem with recoil: if I'm going to carry at all I feel it should be at LEAST .357Mag just for the stopping power. And a .357 or larger with a 3" barrel will have more kick than I would want to deal with in a stress situation. Anyone care to say I'm nuts?

Post imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
    Although I have a classic S&W Mdl 10 .38 that would be very good for CC I have gotten to really like my new Springfield XD(M) .40 loaded with Gold Dot +P. I use a Blackhawk SERPA holster because of its positive retention and ease of drawing. With one spare mag on the belt, that gives me 16 rounds x2 so I could handle about anything that comes along. This rig works well for OC but also for CC with a bulky jacket. I have shied away from revolvers in the larger caliberswith barrels less than 3" because of the problem with recoil: if I'm going to carry at all I feel it should be at LEAST .357Mag just for the stopping power. And a .357 or larger with a 3" barrel will have more kick than I would want to deal with in a stress situation. Anyone care to say I'm nuts?
    Sure, you're nuts.:celebrate

I'm not saying your points are invalid, or that you're wrong, I just wanted to rise to your challenge. It's a small victory, but I'll take what I can get.

Post imported post

(Semi-) autos exclusively here.

-ljp

Post imported post

Gordie wrote:
    Richard6218 wrote:
    Sure, you're nuts.:celebrate

I'm not saying your points are invalid, or that you're wrong, I just wanted to rise to your challenge. It's a small victory, but I'll take what I can get.
    The downside to the 4.5" barrel semi is its size and maybe that could be a negative for CC. This time of year I can cover it pretty well with a big jacket. And OC'ing it tends to attract attention, sometimes the wrong kind. But for me the downside of the short-barrel revolver is the recoil. I can shoot my Springfield (or Glock 21C) and get a fairly tight pattern but with something like a large-caliber small-frame revolver I would worry about the second or third round in a stress situation. It would take too long to re-acquire the target because of the recoil.

Just my $.02

Post imported post

I prefer to carry my SIG C3 1911, Commander slide/Officers frame, or Browning Hi-Power when clothes allow good concealment. If I don't care about concealment, I wouldprobably carry my 5" SIG 1911. Out in the boonies, I'd go with either one of my .357s--Blackhawk or Smith 586,or my Blackhawk .44 magnum. But the reality is, the Bersa Firestorm Mini-9 is the best choice, easy to conceal, 13+1 of +P+ HSTs, and the M-85 Taurus the easiest to carry. Depends where I'm going and what I'll be doing.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
    I prefer to carry my SIG C3 1911, Commander slide/Officers frame, or Browning Hi-Power when clothes allow good concealment. If I don't care about concealment, I wouldprobably carry my 5" SIG 1911. Out in the boonies, I'd go with either one of my .357s--Blackhawk or Smith 586,or my Blackhawk .44 magnum. But the reality is, the Bersa Firestorm Mini-9 is the best choice, easy to conceal, 13+1 of +P+ HSTs, and the M-85 Taurus the easiest to carry. Depends where I'm going and what I'll be doing.
    Good lord, man, what are you, a one-man army? Smallest item I have is a classic S&W Model 10 .38 Police Special, great for conceal, though I haven't carried it. I have a 1943-built Walther P38 9mm that I don't shoot too often, but it's good occasionally. For carry I have either my Glock 21C .45 (with the vented barrel) or brand-new Springfield XD(M) .40. I've just ordered a trigger bar set and stainless guide rod for the Glock for competitive shooting, and will probably do the same for the XD(M) in a month or so. I also have a SIG P250 compact in 9mm that's good for CC. And last but not least is my Ruger Hawkeye .256 Winchester Magnum which is presently inoperable because I lost the breech block detent plunger and spring. And i'm having a helluva time finding anyone to make a new one, never mind finding the genuine part. C'est la guerre.

Post imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
    Gunslinger wrote:
    Good lord, man, what are you, a one-man army? Smallest item I have is a classic S&W Model 10 .38 Police Special, great for conceal, though I haven't carried it. I have a 1943-built Walther P38 9mm that I don't shoot too often, but it's good occasionally. For carry I have either my Glock 21C .45 (with the vented barrel) or brand-new Springfield XD(M) .40. I've just ordered a trigger bar set and stainless guide rod for the Glock for competitive shooting, and will probably do the same for the XD(M) in a month or so. I also have a SIG P250 compact in 9mm that's good for CC. And last but not least is my Ruger Hawkeye .256 Winchester Magnum which is presently inoperable because I lost the breech block detent plunger and spring. And i'm having a helluva time finding anyone to make a new one, never mind finding the genuine part. C'est la guerre.
    It's funny, and my wife thinks I have a lot of guns. But reading other forums, there are guys who have three--or more! of the same gun, to say nothing of the style. I just bought six guns and sold one over the past several years. One was a boxed set of 50th Anv Blackhawks that is kind of an investment, although I do shoot them. The SIGS were because I never had a 1911. The Firestorm and Taurus were to carry--the Bersa, and because I never had a snubbie--the Taurus. Besides, when I consider what I'd spend playing golf versus what I spend on shooting, it's at least a wash. And guns appreciate; golf clubs don't. Plus, in a bad situation, I'd rather have a SIG than a 5 iron...
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Most often... S-A 1911-A1 .45acp OC

Sometimes: 9x19mm Makarov (around the house or CC)

Periodically: Ruger Vaquero SAA.45LC when I feel onery

Post imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
    Richard6218 wrote:
    Gunslinger wrote:
    It's funny, and my wife thinks I have a lot of guns. But reading other forums, there are guys who have three--or more! of the same gun, to say nothing of the style. I just bought six guns and sold one over the past several years. One was a boxed set of 50th Anv Blackhawks that is kind of an investment, although I do shoot them. The SIGS were because I never had a 1911. The Firestorm and Taurus were to carry--the Bersa, and because I never had a snubbie--the Taurus. Besides, when I consider what I'd spend playing golf versus what I spend on shooting, it's at least a wash. And guns appreciate; golf clubs don't. Plus, in a bad situation, I'd rather have a SIG than a 5 iron...
    Just re-read my own post -- mygod, I forgot my cannon Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag in stainless steel. Awesome piece, but really not too practical with its 8" (?) barrel and single action.Plus, ammo for it has gotten rather pricey. I shoot it once in awhile, just for kicks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast