• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry preference: revolvers or auto loaders

Do you carry a revolver or an auto loader?

• Revolver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Auto Loader

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Godscreation

imported post

I'm not trying to start a debate, I am just curious who carries which type and why. Do you prefer an auto loader; max ammo, easier to conceal (a moot point if your OCing) easier to reload, or a revolver; dependable, no bells or whistles, just pull the trigger.

I carry a Glock 19 (OC) and a Glock 26 (CC). I have never carried both at the same time though.

Walleye

imported post

I only own autos, so that's what I carry. I'd like to get a concealable .38 revolver for a BUG at some point in time, but don't have the funds for it now.

In general, I prefer autos over the revolvers I've tried as the grip feels better for me. I've only tried .44 mag and .41 mag revolvers though.

carracer

imported post

My 1911 is my favorite handgun. I have several revolvers but am not as accurate with any of them (except my Python). All my revolvers are 3" bbl or longer and I don't have iwb holsters for them. I have a Charter arms Bulldog .44 that is the 3" that I may try to get a holster for and different grips and try it in the future.

2a4all

imported post

I have a Ruger SP101 (.357 mag, 2" bbl) that I frequently use for carry. It's seemed a tad heavy initially, but became comfortable.

I've been trying a Ruger P944 lately. It's physically a bit larger than the revolver, and not (yet) quite as comfortable.

jmlefler

imported post

My 'grab and go' gun is a Taurus 650 CIA ('carry it anywhere') but I feel most secure carrying my M9 with 30 rounds vs. 10 with the 650.

Carry on.

Squid13

imported post

Just got my CC license and an M&P 360. I carry it every day. The only place I can't carry is on base, but I've been parking off base and leaving it in the car. I'm actually trying to decide on an auto right now, as I have quite a bit of my tax return left and can afford just about anything. So far I haven't found anything that I like as much as my Smith and Wesson revolver. I might just buy another as a backup.

mjones

imported post

Ordinarily I carry an autoloader only, but depending on the circumstances I might also have revolver BUG.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Depends on the need. For two legged critters, a high capacity .45 auto because it conceals better if I need it out of sight, and reloads are easier to carry. For critters with more legs (or no legs) a revolver in either .44 or .50 Mag depending on where I am heading.

For long road trips a high cap .45, a .44 mag and a .50 S&W mag makes for a nice set that can handle most problems that might come along.

GWbiker

imported post

IMHO, It all depends on which hand gun YOU are comfortable with. Reliability, accuracy, weight and EASE of use should come into mind.

bradco

imported post

Currently I carry G27 either in Blackhawk Serpa with Walther PPK/S in either ankle or should rig, or G27 shoulde rand Walther on ankle, that is only because I have not found my Colt Python yet

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

US Firearms SA .45LC "Rodeo" (Colt .45 clone) with 5.5 inch barrel. Handling a SA revolver is second nature to me as I've messed with them since I was a kid.

Currently carrying a Makarov IJ-70 9mm (9x18) w/8+1 cap,but will be getting a CZ82 w/12+1 cap (same cal as Mak) shortly.

Dustin

imported post

I could have told you what the poll results are going to show. RevolverONLY carriers are far and few between. They are indeed out there, just not in numbers like 40 years ago. Auto-loaders now are very dependable, add that with an average 12 chances to hit your target and there's no wonder why they are popular.

shad0wfax

imported post

My OC rig is an auto. It has over 1,500 rounds through it and it has never jammed or had a failure of any type. It is incredibly accurate, very controllable and so far has been 100% reliable. It's far too large to CC. (5+" barrel, .45 ACP)

My CC rig is a revolver. It is quite accurate, more powerful than my OC rig, but much less controllable. (3" barrel,.357 Magnum)

I require any carry gun to be 100% reliable. I'm not concerned with reloads for my .45 ACP because if 12+1 can't do the trick I'm ina situation gone terribly wrong where I should have my M1A with me instead. (I still carry 2 spare 12 rd mags anyways, but if I really need 36+1 there's something seriously wrong.)

For my CC rig I compromise some controllability for more concealability. I also lose capacity. 5 rounds is enough for any threat I am likely to face, but I do carry one speed-loader in case things go terribly wrong.

Different missions require different firearms, but reliabilityand accuracy arethe key factors I will never compromise on. I compromise some on caliber. The .45 ACP and .357 Mag are both proven man-stoppers, but I'd rather carry a .44 Mag, it's just too big and bulky for everyday use.

Richard6218

imported post

Although I have a classic S&W Mdl 10 .38 that would be very good for CC I have gotten to really like my new Springfield XD(M) .40 loaded with Gold Dot +P. I use a Blackhawk SERPA holster because of its positive retention and ease of drawing. With one spare mag on the belt, that gives me 16 rounds x2 so I could handle about anything that comes along. This rig works well for OC but also for CC with a bulky jacket. I have shied away from revolvers in the larger caliberswith barrels less than 3" because of the problem with recoil: if I'm going to carry at all I feel it should be at LEAST .357Mag just for the stopping power. And a .357 or larger with a 3" barrel will have more kick than I would want to deal with in a stress situation. Anyone care to say I'm nuts? ;)

Gordie

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
Although I have a classic S&W Mdl 10 .38 that would be very good for CC I have gotten to really like my new Springfield XD(M) .40 loaded with Gold Dot +P. I use a Blackhawk SERPA holster because of its positive retention and ease of drawing. With one spare mag on the belt, that gives me 16 rounds x2 so I could handle about anything that comes along. This rig works well for OC but also for CC with a bulky jacket. I have shied away from revolvers in the larger caliberswith barrels less than 3" because of the problem with recoil: if I'm going to carry at all I feel it should be at LEAST .357Mag just for the stopping power. And a .357 or larger with a 3" barrel will have more kick than I would want to deal with in a stress situation. Anyone care to say I'm nuts? ;)

Sure, you're nuts.:celebrate

I'm not saying your points are invalid, or that you're wrong, I just wanted to rise to your challenge. It's a small victory, but I'll take what I can get.:lol:

Richard6218

imported post

Gordie wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:

Sure, you're nuts.:celebrate

I'm not saying your points are invalid, or that you're wrong, I just wanted to rise to your challenge. It's a small victory, but I'll take what I can get.:lol:
The downside to the 4.5" barrel semi is its size and maybe that could be a negative for CC. This time of year I can cover it pretty well with a big jacket. And OC'ing it tends to attract attention, sometimes the wrong kind. But for me the downside of the short-barrel revolver is the recoil. I can shoot my Springfield (or Glock 21C) and get a fairly tight pattern but with something like a large-caliber small-frame revolver I would worry about the second or third round in a stress situation. It would take too long to re-acquire the target because of the recoil.

Just my $.02