• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry preference: revolvers or auto loaders

Do you carry a revolver or an auto loader?

• Revolver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Auto Loader

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gunslinger

imported post

I prefer to carry my SIG C3 1911, Commander slide/Officers frame, or Browning Hi-Power when clothes allow good concealment. If I don't care about concealment, I wouldprobably carry my 5" SIG 1911. Out in the boonies, I'd go with either one of my .357s--Blackhawk or Smith 586,or my Blackhawk .44 magnum. But the reality is, the Bersa Firestorm Mini-9 is the best choice, easy to conceal, 13+1 of +P+ HSTs, and the M-85 Taurus the easiest to carry. Depends where I'm going and what I'll be doing.

Richard6218

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
I prefer to carry my SIG C3 1911, Commander slide/Officers frame, or Browning Hi-Power when clothes allow good concealment. If I don't care about concealment, I wouldprobably carry my 5" SIG 1911. Out in the boonies, I'd go with either one of my .357s--Blackhawk or Smith 586,or my Blackhawk .44 magnum. But the reality is, the Bersa Firestorm Mini-9 is the best choice, easy to conceal, 13+1 of +P+ HSTs, and the M-85 Taurus the easiest to carry. Depends where I'm going and what I'll be doing.
Good lord, man, what are you, a one-man army?:lol: Smallest item I have is a classic S&W Model 10 .38 Police Special, great for conceal, though I haven't carried it. I have a 1943-built Walther P38 9mm that I don't shoot too often, but it's good occasionally. For carry I have either my Glock 21C .45 (with the vented barrel) or brand-new Springfield XD(M) .40. I've just ordered a trigger bar set and stainless guide rod for the Glock for competitive shooting, and will probably do the same for the XD(M) in a month or so. I also have a SIG P250 compact in 9mm that's good for CC. And last but not least is my Ruger Hawkeye .256 Winchester Magnum which is presently inoperable because I lost the breech block detent plunger and spring.:cry: And i'm having a helluva time finding anyone to make a new one, never mind finding the genuine part. C'est la guerre.

Gunslinger

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Good lord, man, what are you, a one-man army?:lol: Smallest item I have is a classic S&W Model 10 .38 Police Special, great for conceal, though I haven't carried it. I have a 1943-built Walther P38 9mm that I don't shoot too often, but it's good occasionally. For carry I have either my Glock 21C .45 (with the vented barrel) or brand-new Springfield XD(M) .40. I've just ordered a trigger bar set and stainless guide rod for the Glock for competitive shooting, and will probably do the same for the XD(M) in a month or so. I also have a SIG P250 compact in 9mm that's good for CC. And last but not least is my Ruger Hawkeye .256 Winchester Magnum which is presently inoperable because I lost the breech block detent plunger and spring.:cry: And i'm having a helluva time finding anyone to make a new one, never mind finding the genuine part. C'est la guerre.
It's funny, and my wife thinks I have a lot of guns. But reading other forums, there are guys who have three--or more! of the same gun, to say nothing of the style. I just bought six guns and sold one over the past several years. One was a boxed set of 50th Anv Blackhawks that is kind of an investment, although I do shoot them. The SIGS were because I never had a 1911. The Firestorm and Taurus were to carry--the Bersa, and because I never had a snubbie--the Taurus. Besides, when I consider what I'd spend playing golf versus what I spend on shooting, it's at least a wash. And guns appreciate; golf clubs don't. :cool:Plus, in a bad situation, I'd rather have a SIG than a 5 iron...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Most often... S-A 1911-A1 .45acp OC

Sometimes: 9x19mm Makarov (around the house or CC)

Periodically: Ruger Vaquero SAA.45LC when I feel onery

Richard6218

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
It's funny, and my wife thinks I have a lot of guns. But reading other forums, there are guys who have three--or more! of the same gun, to say nothing of the style. I just bought six guns and sold one over the past several years. One was a boxed set of 50th Anv Blackhawks that is kind of an investment, although I do shoot them. The SIGS were because I never had a 1911. The Firestorm and Taurus were to carry--the Bersa, and because I never had a snubbie--the Taurus. Besides, when I consider what I'd spend playing golf versus what I spend on shooting, it's at least a wash. And guns appreciate; golf clubs don't. :cool:Plus, in a bad situation, I'd rather have a SIG than a 5 iron...
Just re-read my own post -- mygod, I forgot my cannon :cool: Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag in stainless steel. Awesome piece, but really not too practical with its 8" (?) barrel and single action.Plus, ammo for it has gotten rather pricey. I shoot it once in awhile, just for kicks ;)

grumpycoconut

imported post

Where's all the J frame owners. Nothing beats a Chief for when you just want to chuck one in your pocket or boot and go. No fuss, no muss. You may only have 5 on tap but isn't the zen warrior's goal to avoid unnecessary conflict. Besides, knowing that you only have 5 shots to resolve an issue is a strong incentive for marksmanship and smart tactics.

sureshot

imported post

I only have autoloaders, all Glock's. Model 21(.45), Model 23(.40) and Model 31(.357). I carry the .45 most of the time.

Resto Guy

imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
Where's all the J frame owners. Nothing beats a Chief for when you just want to chuck one in your pocket or boot and go. No fuss, no muss. You may only have 5 on tap but isn't the zen warrior's goal to avoid unnecessary conflict. Besides, knowing that you only have 5 shots to resolve an issue is a strong incentive for marksmanship and smart tactics.
S&W 642 here.:cool:

IxionDeece

imported post

I am not a big fan of revolvers due to ammo capacity.I carry a Tanfoglio Witness .45 acp w/ 4.5" barrel, 10+1 and a decocker modification done to it. It also has lighter springs, and a softer trigger (7 lb double,2 lb single) kind of a rough estimate. I used a fish weighing scale to measure the pull. Has a wonder finish. And it is a tack driver. I can shoot of pop bottle lids at 50 ft with it. Aint exactly the easiest to conceal but it is comfy on the hip.It has some custom work done to it,but it is a long list to write out. It is currently the only handgun I own, and I never plan on gettin rid of it (I get alot of complements about it).

Alexcabbie

imported post

CC: Walther PPK/s in a G-Code shoulder rig OR in the paddle cconfiguration.

OC: depends on my mood. I modified a Bianchi hi-ride thumbbrealk to carry my Walther P38, also have a Bianchi "pancake' for the PPK/s; sometimes it's my K-38 Combat Masterpiece in a Bucheimer "Federal Man" rig and if I am walking to the bank to deposit a lot of money in the ATM it's DEFINITELY the 629 .44 Magnum (loaded with Specials) for deterrent value, in a Galco thumb break. Except for Maggie all these combos are fine for CC too.