• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first encounter with discrimination while Open Carry

SpizyChicken

imported post

I got my first comment and sneer for OPEN CARRY TODAY!

I was open carrying in my front yard while doing yard work. We own our house, but most of our neighbors are in rental homes that are falling apart. Most are on probation or in and out of jail.

The people across the street saw I had a gun on my side in a holster and started making comments. They yelled loud enough and said "Yah, he has a gun...He might start shooting up the neighborhood."

The 2nd amendment sure isn't a popular freedom in America.
If you are an American that exercises your 2nd amendment rights you will be looked down on, discriminated against, at the very least.

Orygunner

imported post

SpizyChicken wrote:

I was open carrying in my front yard while doing yard work. We own our house, but most of our neighbors are in rental homes that are falling apart. Most are on probation or in and out of jail.

The people across the street saw I had a gun on my side in a holster and started making comments. They yelled loud enough and said "Yah, he has a gun...He might start shooting up the neighborhood."

...SNIP...

I may have responded:

"Yeah! Watch me!"

Then continued about my business :)

...Orygunner...

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SpizyChicken wrote:

The 2nd amendment sure isn't a popular freedom in America.
If you are an American that exercises your 2nd amendment rights you will be looked down on, discriminated against, at the very least.
No, you won't.

Your opinion is based upon your experience. My opinion is based upon my experience.

My opinion is that you are wrong.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

If they have a problem, then they are the ones with a problem.

Are you comfortable with who you are? If so, then their problem does not become your problem.

Are you knowledgeable and familiar with Oregon law concerning firearms? If so, then what do their comments matter?

If white/black/brown/yellow/red/green trash is attempting to look down at you, and you accept their viewpoint, where does that place you on the pecking order?

Again, if they have a problem, then they have a problem, not you.

On the bright side, your neighbors now know not to mess with you.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Maybe they were just worried thier parole officer would decide they were
armed since there was a gun on the same block.

Maybe yell back, "I wouldn't need it if you were still locked up!":banghead:
I love having lots of land between me and the neigbors.
But around here there is no discrimination against guns, that is unless you don't
bring yours.:lol:

Fred Kenpo

imported post

SpizyChicken wrote:
They yelled loud enough and said "Yah, he has a gun...He might start shooting up the neighborhood."
They were just giving you a hard time. I only had my OCHL for ID once, and the girl who looked at it, to verify my identity for writing a check, said "Please, don't shoot me," in a teasing tone of voice. I responded, "Haven't shot anyone today, but the day is still young."

Jeffytune

imported post

My reply would have been more like....

"You bet I carry one, have you seen the people that live around here?"