• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ft. Lewis Pistol & Rifle Range

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

If you enter through the East Gate Road you do not need to check in. The range is $5 for non military.

Sportsman Rifle/Pistol Range - 253-967-9803
Saturday & Sunday 10am to 4pm
Fridays (July to Oct) 10am to 4pm

Pistols 10 & 20 yards, specialty targets avail.
Rifles 25, 50, 100, 200, 300 yards, specialty targets avail.

Ammo & Shooting accessories available for purchase.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Anyone been here yet? What are some of the rules? Particularly, can you load more than one round into the magazine? Renton Fish and Game club only allows single round loading at any time, which is very frustrating when trying to achieve any consistancy in your aiming.

dlnwoody

imported post

You can load as many rounds your gun will hold. As far as rules: one round a sec, there are 10 min of fire followed by time to change your target. Their is a range master on duty at all times. This is not a bad place to shoot.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

spike89 wrote:
I wonder if they have any ranges measured in meters instead of yards. Would be great to zero the AR using the TM on a 25M range.
25yds = 75 feet
25m - 82 feet

Does 8 feet make that much of a difference when you are firing a 5.56 or 7.62 ?

gsx1138

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
spike89 wrote:
I wonder if they have any ranges measured in meters instead of yards. Would be great to zero the AR using the TM on a 25M range.
25yds = 75 feet
25m - 82 feet

Who knows, maybe I'll have to shoot at zombie midgets. ;)

Bobarino

imported post

i shoot there sometimes. it's one of the better ranges to shoot at if you ask me. they allow human silhouette targets, and even clay pigeons at 50 yards or more. the shooting benches are a little hokey but they work. they have cheap targets and good prices on ammo. they usually have wolf .223 and several other calibers. no rapid fire and the normal safety rules. no mag restrictions. plus it's the only 300 yard range that i know of in the area.

Bobby

spike89

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
spike89 wrote:
25yds = 75 feet
25m - 82 feet

Who knows, maybe I'll have to shoot at zombie midgets. ;)

Careful now, don't you mean zombie "little people"?

And I'm not sure about what kind of difference a zero based on 25yards makes, but it might add up considerably at 300M+. 8ft in 82ft is around 10% difference. Probably much less difference than I could ever shoot at those distances though! :lol:

Krinkovliu

imported post

Is this range really open to civilians? I called them last fall to get directions, and the range person said that unless I was military or the guest of a military person I could not use the range.

Clarity please since I need to test fire some new rifles.

David.Car

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
spike89 wrote:
25yds = 75 feet
25m - 82 feet

Or more simply just adjust for the bullet drop over that distance.

For example. Say you wanted a 50yard/200meter sight in but you only had a 100 yard range. With the 50y/200m, the projectile will be 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. So just sight in 1.5 inches above the bulls.

Just use an internet ballistic software to plot whatever sight in distance you want and make the adjustment.

amlevin

imported post

Bobarino wrote:
Krink,

yes, Range 15 IS open to the public. anyone can shoot there, military or not.

Bobby

If you are NOT military (or retired) it costs you $0.50 more.

Military ranges HAVE to be made available to the "Public" subject to availability of RSO's.

bugly

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Bobarino wrote:
Krink,

yes, Range 15 IS open to the public. anyone can shoot there, military or not.

Bobby

If you are NOT military (or retired) it costs you $0.50 more.

Military ranges HAVE to be made available to the "Public" subject to availability of RSO's.
It would be a good thing if someone were able to give directions to range 15 that do not include going onto Ft. Lewis property. Range 15 is just outside the fenced area, but I can't remember how to get there without going through post. A side note; DO NOT CARRY LOADED WEAPONS OF ANY KIND ONTO MILITARY PROPERTY, YOU WILL NOT LIKE THE RESULTS IF CAUGHT.
The east gate road is not well known to most people, can there be a link posted to show this?
I used to go to range 15 with a Coastie friend of mine, good range, John (the usual RSO) is a hell of a nice guy.

dlnwoody

imported post

Take highway 7 south until you get to the roy y. Take a right onto highway 507. Not sure how far it is but you'll see a sign that says east gate road. Take a right. Follow it until you see range 15 on the right. If you get to the gate you went to far.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

It would be a good thing if someone were able to give directions to range 15 that do not include going onto Ft. Lewis property.

I-5 to HWY 512 (South of Tacoma). Head East on Hwy 512 (1.8mi) to the Pacific Ave exit. Head South on Pacific Ave to the Roy Y split (HWY 507 / 5.1mi). Head South on HWY 507 for approx 4 miles to the only paved road on the right (There will be a right turn lane available) which will be the East Gate road. Go another 3-4 miles it will be on your right hand side (Range 15).

Kildars

imported post

I mainly go to Bullseye in Tacoma. Is that a good range? Is it expensive? are there any other good ones in the area? It's kind of annoying pay $5 if you bring your own ammo + $7.50 range fee.

David.Car

imported post

Kildars wrote:
I mainly go to Bullseye in Tacoma. Is that a good range? Is it expensive? are there any other good ones in the area? It's kind of annoying pay $5 if you bring your own ammo + $7.50 range fee.
$12.50 per range visit is a lot better than what most private ranges charge.