• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Act of excersizing our 2nd amendment rightCarry - My First Day

spawnbringer

imported post

Yesterday morning (with a handful of PA Gun Rights filiers (thank you OCDO)) I stopped at mydaughter's homewhere I met her and my eldest son. We greeted each other with sleep still lingeringin our heads whileloading up in the SUV.Wereally lookedforward to arrivingat Starbucks in the South Sidetoget that wake up juice.

Now with a bit of caffeine in or veins we manage to make a few sounds that seem more like actual words.Sowe head out to Eat'n Puke in Robinson for breakfast. The getting thereisalways one of my favorite times.Goodconversation and most often more then just a fewlaughs. Good times. Though this morning it wasa bit different for all of us.Dad (that's me) as a civilian is for the first time evercarrying a gunin public (though in the early 80's I carried guns often while in the Army).

Supportive of their fathers choice to be an armed citizen (and showing their own desire to some day soon carry their own firearm) the "kids" seem to be just ascurious as I am of how people would respond (or in most negative encounters react) when seeing a citizen who is not LEcarryinga holstered gun. But that will have to wait. Sorry kiddos, not happening this morning. The jerseyI wore just didn't look right tucked in, so I opted tocarry concealed. Though if anyone cared enough they could see the print.

Look, I didn't say that this was going to be exciting. :p

Anyways, with hugs and kisseswe partedand I droveback to my home topick up myyoung ones (nine and six) and off we goto run some errands. But just prior to our leaving I changed my jersey and put on a lite Polo jacket that rides up on the wast. Now I am most defiantly in Open Carry mode.

Before leaving my son who is the nine year old looked at me inquisitively and said, "Is that how you're going dad?" I thought for a second as I looked over myself and said, "Yeah,what do you think about it son?" Heh, kids huh? He looked at me intently and said, "Is that legal or illegal?" I of course told him it was perfectly legal and in fact is my opinion a necessity for all responsible law abiding citizens to do."So, it's legal?" Yes son, it is. I said."Okay, let's go"were his last wordson the matter and off we went.

First stop, gas at the Kennedy Township Get Go next to the Giant Eagle. Two smiles and no problems later we pull around to park in front of the grocery store. A fewstares anda cashier who wouldn't stop talking to me is the crux of what happen. Now we depart to... yeah that's right, Wal Mart.

Not sure if any of you go to the one in Robinson but it is where we go most of the time if we go to Wal Mart. This visit was for the most part just as uneventful. There were a few looks of curiosity and not much more. Though, like manyothers who share their own events I too noticed thatsome of the sales associates seem to have been a bit more cordial, talkative and even pleasant. Maybe it's because of the firearm ormaybe it's just because I'mjust such a bloody wonderful good guy. You'll have to be the judge of that.

The only strange or potentialproblem I noticed was a guy who passedby pushing two children in a cart.He was a big guy, a guy twice my size and for some reason found it necessary to look at me with a look that I can only describe as hateful. This look came after he seen my side arm. What? I thought to myself. You don't like the fact that I can defend myself or is it that since I have a means to defend myselfyou can't intimidate me with yoursize?Who the hell knows.Maybe the guy was pissed off that he had the kids and his "look" reflected his discomfort. Or maybe hejust had gas. Heh, no matter to me whatever the problem may or may not be.It's just an observation. Though whatever the case may beit did indeed looked to me that he wasangrythat I was carrying. Go figure.

Well, that'sit. That's my first day of carrying both CC and OC.

Thanks. :cool:

No, I really mean it. Thanks. Thanks to those of you whoshareyour own experiences and for those who are activists for both CC and OC. It helped me tremendously to reach this my first day of being a true citizen.

david.ross

imported post

In regards to the guy with kids, I find what usually helps break those type of looks if you just give a friendly smile. Don't worry too much if they don't change. I've had one person literally here in town while in the store cover his kid's eyes who appears to be about 8 years old while in the sight of my person.

I've open carried in Pittsburgh before, last year. I usually went jogging every morning downtown without being bothered. I've only had one encounter with a cop who I believe learned the law, R Pedley.

If you ever find yourself in a situation with an officer, tell him you're going to call one of the lieutenants, which all know open carry is legal and will correct said officers. I can't remember off the top of my head, but after speaking with one of them they will say, "ignorance is no excuse for not knowing the law."

Wonderer

imported post

spawnbringer wrote:
Maybe it's because of the firearm ormaybe it's just because I'mjust such a bloody wonderful good guy. You'll have to be the judge of that.

OK so I can be judge and jury>>>>?????? Interesting concept.

Then having "met " you for only one evening, I recognize your picture....

The verdict is:

You're a wonderful guy.

Congratulations!!! exercizing your right is liberating isn't it?and see you Sunday night.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

spawnbringer wrote:
SNIP The only strange or potentialproblem I noticed was a guy who passedby pushing two children in a cart.He was a big guy, a guy twice my size and for some reason found it necessary to look at me with a look that I can only describe as hateful. This look came after he seen my side arm. What? I thought to myself. You don't like the fact that I can defend myself or is it that since I have a means to defend myselfyou can't intimidate me with yoursize?Who the hell knows.Maybe the guy was pissed off that he had the kids and his "look" reflected his discomfort. Or maybe hejust had gas. Heh, no matter to me whatever the problem may or may not be.It's just an observation. Though whatever the case may beit did indeed looked to me that he wasangrythat I was carrying. Go figure.

Welcome to the ranks!! Congratulations and well done.

A word of experienced advice. You probably won't get many of those looks, if reported experience counts for anything. When you do get an expression like that, its time to go on the alert for police, or managers with ejection in their mind. While it could be gas or the kids, it may also be someone indignant about guns. Those can be the sort of people who call the police or complain to the manager. Especially after they go out of sight, or leave the store. (Ask the Tony's guys about what happened after Mr. Hostility left the premises.)

If voice-recorders are legal in PA, that expression would have me getting the recorder near to hand. I'd pay even more attention to the aisles between me and the front door, and I'd start running through my conversational strategies in my mind.

Welcome aboard. Keep up the good work.

YllwFvr

imported post

Congrats, you did well. Let them glare. They are entitled to that opinion, and it shows you at first glance the kind of person they are. I've had people rant at me for carrying, shrug it off and strap it on the next morning.

Carry on sir!