• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Someone Convicted Of A Felony Or Violent Crime

Carnivore

imported post

There's too many Variants for "(something foolish done in their youth)" to be able to discount all violations as the same, so no matter how you slice it there will be some that should never be allowed to see the light of day ever!!

wrightme

imported post

Pamiam wrote:
wrightme wrote:
I will again point to my comment that "they are not free." They are only no longer incarcerated.
That makes sense like lug nuts on birthday cake.
vsmack.gif
Really? Do you believe that someone who is released from prison for a felony conviction is free? Do you believe that simply because they are now released from prison that they have changed, and will assimilate without recidivism? What gauge will you use to measure the danger they may or may not present to others?
Sure there will be those who "made a mistake," and will not revert to a life of taking rights from others. Who decides?

Carnivore

imported post

marine77 wrote:
Stick to your guns, pamiam.

Yep and keep your gun stuck to you! It's not really worth arguing about whether felons can have guns or not, most of them probably won't abide by that little nonsense rule anyway, and with Obama in the whitehouse, we'll be able to witness first hand real soon..

Hopefully all the nonviolent corporate theives will be released first so they can figure how to rip off tens of thousands of peoples retirementsagain.. those folks didn't commit voilent crimes either, but they destroyed millions of lives with basicallyjust the whisp of a pen..

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Isn't it strange, that if you use a gun to commit a crime, you are banned from guns.
But if you use money to commit a crime, you are not banned from money.

Just one more example of the stupidity of our government.
The only real valid argument for the felons having guns, is that our beloved masters
have made just about everything a felony.

YllwFvr

imported post

I dont know how it works in all the states but I know that I myself was arrested and the charges were dropped. Because I was arrested I have the right to OWN guns but not the right to BUY them. Nice eh? Oh sure I can go buy a shotty from a friend, but I cant go to the store. And I cant get a pistol again. I can fight it. Im almost positive I could win. But I dont have any $$$ to get the ball rolling. Oh well, maybe it another twenty years when I am financially well off.

I get where Pamiam is going. Maybe it could be specified? How bout offenders with nonviolent crimes or at least those without assault or attempted murder/murder. They get off parole for a few years and the right to arms is granted back. Maybe add a stipulation that if they were to commit a violent crime it will double your next prison sentance, as a deterrent to running afoul with the law again.

Some felons are the scum of the earth. Some just messed up. Can you see a guy who fell asleep at the wheel and killed somebody and being charged with manslaughter never being able to own again EVER just because they worked a 12 hour graveyard shift for example? Seems like lunacy to me.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have to agree with Pamian.

Not all convicted felons (of the violant variaty) are crazed individuals. And for those that are, they'll get arms anyway. All we have to do is shoot 'em DRT if they try to commit another violant crime.

Elkad

imported post

While on parole/probation, they should be under the same restrictions as if still incarcerated. No guns, no mild-altering substances, etc. They aren't really free yet, just (supposedly) trustworthy enough they are allowed back into society.

Once they are truly free, they should get all their rights back. Voting, firearm ownership, and everything else.

Re:registering sex offenders. While on parole, sure. Once they are off, their name comes off the list. If you don't like the idea of them being "loose", then push to keep them behind bars.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Elkad wrote:
Re:registering sex offenders. While on parole, sure. Once they are off, their name comes off the list. If you don't like the idea of them being "loose", then push to keep them behind bars.

His point with the sex offenders was that some people have unchangable psychological conditions. Does that mean they should live their lives out in jail? That's up for debate. But if you choose to let them out, as our society does, it's benefitial to them and society if they're kept away from things that are going to make them slip up. So while they may have "done their time" or "paid their debt" in the eyes of the justice system, all is not well and good, and that is why restrictions on their rights continue. The same can be applied to violent felons and guns.

Basically it's the justice system that needs a massive overhaul. Until that day comes (unlikely), no, felons should not be allowed to own weapons.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
But if you choose to let them out, as our society does, it's benefitial to them and society if they're kept away from things that are going to make them slip up.
So sayeth Sarah Brady's sockpuppet.

Shouldn't you be out shooting with no ear plugs?

SlackwareRobert

imported post

If you go to the store, they KNOW you have it.
It takes longer to find what you want. But the fact it is yours not the governments
registered loaner is much more satisfying.

I am peaved that Kalifornia killed my home buisiness plan.
I was going to buy up all those guns and lease them to the residents,
that way they wouldn't own a gun there, but would still have protection,
and I would make a tidy profit.

But you can always move down here, we have no restrictions against non convicts in AL.
Heck you can even get a ccw.

But you can always have your wife buy guns and have her protect your home.
Of course you better not give her reason to get mad at you.:lol:
And don't get caught cleaning them for her. Which brings to mind, can a felon
load ammo for his wifes guns? Or do over zelus DA consider the loading machine
a 'zip' gun?

YllwFvr

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
And don't get caught cleaning them for her. Which brings to mind, can a felon
load ammo for his wifes guns? Or do over zelus DA consider the loading machine
a 'zip' gun?
I believe you cant even have access to firearms. There was a guy down here that was out with his brother at the range. He did not handle any firearms, he was throwing clay pigeons for his brother. Someone knew he was a felon and called the police. He was back in jail in no time. It was that he had access to them and they had reasonable doubt that he was shooting pigeons himself. The gun was confiscated but it had none of his prints on it. Idiocy IMO.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Strange, G gordon Liddy is always talking about all the guns his wife has around the house.
Or is he just "Too Big to Have a Gun"

By this dumb logic, if an leo give a parolee a lift into town he would need to leave his
weapons at the prison, or arrest the poor sucker for getting a ride.

Was he a felon, or a parolee? They do have more leeway with the latter who
still do not have all the rights of travel, association, and other 4th and 5th protections.

But it would be great if all you need to do to get rid of felons, is OC so they cannot
stay in the area with you.

cbunt1

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Strange, G gordon Liddy is always talking about all the guns his wife has around the house.
Or is he just "Too Big to Have a Gun"

Was he a felon, or a parolee? They do have more leeway with the latter who
still do not have all the rights of travel, association, and other 4th and 5th protections.
Neither. If memory serves, he *was* a convicted felon, but received a presidential pardon. It is therefore, as though he was never charged nor convicted.

jmlefler

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
If you feel that time served = all is forgiven, then how would you feel about an unregistered sex offender teaching your daughter in an after school Ballet class?

and then going down to the local youth community game room and seeing the same unregistered sex offender driving the community commuter buss to take the kids back home at 11:00 pm after the game room has closed..

And how about voting the collector of your county seat from a list of recent releases from thefederal pen.after serving time for embezlement..

Or better yet vote or hire in the position of Community fire chief a man/woman who so foolishly in their youth was sent to JUVY Hall for burning down three old vacant buildings in the little town of Barely doo and innocently enough the fire spread to three more structures, that were inhabited, but what the heck, the folks got out alive, and they had insurance on the belongings and structure, soNo Harm/No Foul !!??
Absolutely none of which you describe above are Rights. Who you send your daughter to for dance class is your choice. Where you allow your kids to attend the local youth community game room is your choice. Who you vote for is your choice.

Make better choices.

Carry on.

usdm419

imported post

I totally agree that a felon of "non-violent" crimes should be able to own a firearm. Yes they might have been convicted of check fraud, or stealing a car stereo, but I don't think they should be denied the right to defend their families.

My best friend is a convicted felon from when he was 19 years old. He broke into an unoccupied house and stole stereo equipment. He was later caught in possession of stolen goods and marijuana. He was convicted, served a little less then a year, and released. It is now 15 years later, he's the top sales rep. for a major brewing company, and is a father of 2 young boys. He is not allowed to own a firearm in the great state of AZ. because of that one incident dating back to 1994. It's a damn shame.

cbunt1

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
If you feel that time served = all is forgiven, then how would you feel about an unregistered sex offender teaching your daughter in an after school Ballet class?

and then going down to the local youth community game room and seeing the same unregistered sex offender driving the community commuter buss to take the kids back home at 11:00 pm after the game room has closed..

And how about voting the collector of your county seat from a list of recent releases from thefederal pen.after serving time for embezlement..

Or better yet vote or hire in the position of Community fire chief a man/woman who so foolishly in their youth was sent to JUVY Hall for burning down three old vacant buildings in the little town of Barely doo and innocently enough the fire spread to three more structures, that were inhabited, but what the heck, the folks got out alive, and they had insurance on the belongings and structure, soNo Harm/No Foul !!??
Well...the question is simple. Either the individual has paid his/her "debt to society" or not. There's no in-between on this one, no more than there's any in-between on convicted or not convicted in the first place.

And as for the question of sex offenders having some "inherent drive," looking a little further into many if not most sex offenses, you'll find that the "Sex act" was secondary...there's usually a control element in there. Usually you'll find either a bully or a victim of a bully there....Beyond that, it's purely behavioral--they decide to 'offend' or they don't....

Either way, either the debt to society has been paid, or they should remain in custody.

After all, we can't have monsters roaming about the quiet countryside...

<Donning flame-retardant suit>

shad0wfax

imported post

Pamiam wrote:
Should someone previously convicted of a felony or violent crime be able to carry?

My answer may cause you to fall out of your chair, but I say "yes".

I see it this way:

If they're so dangerous to society that they shouldn't be permitted to carry, why are they out of jail?

Which of the following will be stopped by this law: Someone who was convicted, served their time and learned a lesson, or someone who was convicted, served their time and still don't give a flip about laws?

Yes.

If they are free men, they have the right to free speach, the right of freedom from unreasonable search and siezure, and the right to keep and bear arms. You don't lose your 1st and 3rd through 10th amendment rights when you are convicted of a felony, so why should you lose your 2nd amendment rights upon conviction?

When "society" incarcerates someone for a period of time and then "society" sees fit to free that person from incarceration, it indicates that the former inmate is rehabilitated and fit for society once more. Thus, all rights are inherrently applied at that time.

Whether or not the ex-con learned their lesson or served their time and doesn't give a flip about the law is irrelevant. If "society" sees fit to release them back into the populace as a free man, then they should have all the rights of free men. The moral of the story is, if you don't want the felon to have a gun, lock him up for life or execute him.