• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Someone Convicted Of A Felony Or Violent Crime

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

goodsamaritan742 wrote:
i made a posting today at the bottom about this topic but i wanted to repeat something.

im 26 now but when i was 13 years old me and my brother got into an argument and i pulled a knife...i didnt touch him but i was still charged with 4th degree assault because the threat was implied.

sense that regretful day...ived stayed clean my juvenile record was sealed(all i had was that one charge) and i have a clean adult record...im a christian father of two, a undergrad student working on a business degree i vote in every election am a candidate for city council pay my taxes am a charter member of the lions club and am a respected member of my community. but that one misdemeanor charge on my sealed juvenile record is preventing me from owning and carrying a fire arm unless i want to become a criminal and buy one on the street.

the only other option is to go through a cumbersome lengthy and expensive process involving a good lawyer a court room and countless court dates......the process should be easier for people like me...but its not because like everything with the goverment laws included its a one size fits all deal...and people like me get shafted...

so you asked the question who gets to decide....let the imperfect legal system decide but i beleive the process shouldnt be as such that it puts an unneccary burden on people trying to prove to society that they want to be like the rest of us...

i have one person left to prove to and thats a judge in king county superior court if i ever get the means the time or the energy to pursue it.....the law provides a way out but makes it so tough that most people never are able to take advantage...
Write and read like you did in English 001

goodsamaritan742

imported post

I asked you for suggestions not for you to critique the way I wrote my opinion and question/plea. This is a forum not an English class. As far as I know there are not any rules on this forum about typing as if your English grade depended on it...

If you have suggestions to help I'm open to them and if not maybe you need a new day job say....English 101 professor instead of forum police chief....

By the way was that better? What is my grade?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

goodsamaritan742 wrote:
I asked you for suggestions not for you to critique the way I wrote my opinion and question/plea. This is a forum not an English class. As far as I know there are not any rules on this forum about typing as if your English grade depended on it...

If you have suggestions to help I'm open to them and if not maybe you need a new day job say....English 101 professor instead of forum police chief....

By the way was that better? What is my grade?

Doug has become pretty much useless these days, so it's best to ignore him. All the years of shooting without ear protection in the name of freedom must be getting to him.

Carnivore

imported post

Obama can't help out re-arming felons, he's busy courting the Taliban!!

Pamiam maybe a million felons March will get you the limelight you crave.. what ya say we work as dilligently to arm the non criminal public first. This current administration doesn't even want law abiding citizens with a spotless record toposses arms.. I'm sorry, I just don't feel your passion for arming folks that have proven that they are capable of a short curcuit in their gray matter..If I ever get convicted of a felony, you can bet I'll scrape up every spare dime I can for however long it takes tofinance my ride through the proper channels of getting my rights restored, so why shouldn't any other felon..

wrightme

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
wrightme wrote:
He also tends to get repetitive.
But responsive until Biteme pipes up. Y'all can deal with your peer.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. Biteme NRA
Calling out someone on an ENG001 reference is not "responsive," it is counterproductive.
Those who resort to insult have exhausted valid points.

wrightme

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
goodsamaritan742 wrote:
i take advantage...
Write and read like you did in English 001
Not "responsive."

Doug Huffman wrote:
goodsamaritan742 wrote:
ANY SUGGESTIONS.....any lawyers on here in washington state willing to take a good case at a discount?
For readability.

If a felon may properly be disbarred his Right to Keep and Bear Arms under color of law then we all can be legally disarmed by sufficiently lowering the bar of felony - even to allegations of domestic violence.
Also not "responsive."

goodsamaritan742

imported post

A lot of us don't have spare dimes to scrounge up to finance a lengthy court process to get our rights restored and the expense isn't any less for folks like my self who lost the right to own a gun the day i plead guilty to fourth degree assault after threatning my brother with a knife...i was 13 at the time im now 26 with a clean record...im an undergrad student with two young kids to raise...if i had 2000.00 i would gladly fight for what i feel is still my right to own a fire arm....but i guess only if you are a wealthy felon i.e soon to be felon madroff or elliot spitzer the ex ag of new york do you have a straight shot to getting your right back....like ive said before i wish the process wasnt so cumbersome and out of reach...ill have my mba in 4 years maybe with luck the financial markets will get better and i wont be 85,000 in debt with no job then maybe i can afford to take back a right i should have never lost..a mistake i made when i was 13 a kid a misdemeanor with nothing on record since lost me the right to own a gun...

Pamiam

imported post

goodsamaritan742 wrote:
A lot of us don't have spare dimes to scrounge up to finance a lengthy court process to get our rights restored and the expense isn't any less for folks like my self who lost the right to own a gun the day i plead guilty to fourth degree assault after threatning my brother with a knife...i was 13 at the time im now 26 with a clean record...im an undergrad student with two young kids to raise...if i had 2000.00 i would gladly fight for what i feel is still my right to own a fire arm....but i guess only if you are a wealthy felon i.e soon to be felon madroff or elliot spitzer the ex ag of new york do you have a straight shot to getting your right back....like ive said before i wish the process wasnt so cumbersome and out of reach...ill have my mba in 4 years maybe with luck the financial markets will get better and i wont be 85,000 in debt with no job then maybe i can afford to take back a right i should have never lost..a mistake i made when i was 13 a kid a misdemeanor with nothing on record since lost me the right to own a gun...

$2000.00 won't help you. You might as well set fire to it. I know too many people who've been there, done that, and have nothing to show for it but a lighter bank account.

Save your money. You're toast.

How wrong is that?

These laws have to be changed, and the only entity that can change them is our legislators. Write them daily. Maybe they'll change them just to get us to shut up. ;)

Pamiam

imported post

wrightme wrote:
I already addressed that. I already told you that I offer no real solutions.

Thanks for trying though, and posting the links. But truly, those don't work. They're pie-in-the-sky stuff. Political feel-good legislation that dead ends and/or scam artists (and lawyers are the best, aren't they?) who're great at writing contracts designed to rip someone off with nothing in return.

The citizens in this country who made a mistake in their youth and learned from it could really use a set of good solutions. Are you on board?

wrightme

imported post

Pamiam wrote:
wrightme wrote:
I already addressed that. I already told you that I offer no real solutions.

Thanks for trying though, and posting the links. But truly, those don't work. They're pie-in-the-sky stuff. Political feel-good legislation that dead ends and/or scam artists (and lawyers are the best, aren't they?) who're great at writing contracts designed to rip someone off with nothing in return.

The citizens in this country who made a mistake in their youth and learned from it could really use a set of good solutions. Are you on board?
You are completely missing my point. I am not advocating some "pie in the sky" solution. I am showing you that the laws are not a blanket prohibition. Did I once promote the links I provided as anything but a source to the legislation?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

goodsamaritan742 wrote:
"Intelligent" folks like Carnivore don't care about your RKBA. :quirky They've determined that, since you've been declared a "felon" (whatever they think that means), your rights are not their concern.

"But I'm a law-abiding citizen! The government would never outlaw any activities I currently engage it, and declare them felonies (like owning firearms), no never!"

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
goodsamaritan742 wrote:
"Intelligent" folks like Carnivore don't care about your RKBA. :quirky They've determined that, since you've been declared a "felon" (whatever they think that means), your rights are not their concern.

"But I'm a law-abiding citizen! The government would never outlaw any activities I currently engage it, and declare them felonies (like owning firearms), no never!"

No one is saying the government can't or won't. However, you're once again throwing the baby, tub, and bathroom out with the bath water.

The solution to the potential problem of the government declaring jaywalking a felony and taking your guns because of itisNOT to let all felons have guns. The solution is to not let the government declare jaywalking a felony in the first place.

Why you can't see something so glaringly simply is beyond me.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Pamiam maybe a million felons March will get you the limelight you crave.. what ya say we work as dilligently to arm the non criminal public first. This current administration doesn't even want law abiding citizens with a spotless record toposses arms.. I'm sorry, I just don't feel your passion for arming folks that have proven that they are capable of a short curcuit in their gray matter.

100%

NightOwl

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Obama can't help out re-arming felons, he's busy courting the Taliban!!

Pamiam maybe a million felons March will get you the limelight you crave.. what ya say we work as dilligently to arm the non criminal public first. This current administration doesn't even want law abiding citizens with a spotless record toposses arms.. I'm sorry, I just don't feel your passion for arming folks that have proven that they are capable of a short curcuit in their gray matter..If I ever get convicted of a felony, you can bet I'll scrape up every spare dime I can for however long it takes tofinance my ride through the proper channels of getting my rights restored, so why shouldn't any other felon..
Why? Because neither they, nor you, nor anybody else should have to. It's a right, not a privilage. To quote the 2nd amendment in it's entirety:

"Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Could you please point out the part of that where it says "except for" anything? I'm going to assume that you're not claiming that felons are not people.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

NightOwl wrote:
"Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Could you please point out the part of that where it says "except for" anything? I'm going to assume that you're not claiming that felons are not people.
Bears repeating! A well made point. If the 2A is a true premise then "Disarmed is dehumanized." Redounds well with gun-grabbing as racism.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. Biteme NRA

goodsamaritan742

imported post

pamian------all the lawyers i have spoken with have agreed that my chances are good at getting this right back.....i have to go through restoration of rights or expungement of conviction/record....and ive been quoted 1600-2500.00....ive researched online and at local law libraries and the process that they refer to is the same online and at the law libraries as what the lawyers have talked about...ive also looked at the rcw codes for the state of washington and based off of that my chances are excellent...the judge can do what he wants but chances are ill come out with my right to own guns.

Carnivore

imported post

goodsamaritan742 wrote:
I think something like that with the help of your brother could disappear, especially at such a young age and so many clean years.