Thread: Is this true?

Post imported post

As the law now stands in Arizona, if a Right-to-Carry permit holder is carrying a firearm concealed in a purse in a vehicle, the passengers without permits could be in violation of the law.
    Is the above statement true? I never heard of that, but the NRA e-mail states it is.

Post imported post

Depends on how far the Prosecutor wants to stretch the idea of constructive possession I suppose. I'd think the other passengers would have to know about it.

I doubt it would ever fly.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

i think what that statements trying to get at, is that the passenger has access to it since a purse would most likely be in between them. i doubt a cop would care that much but i suppose it is possible

Post imported post

Any weapon in a glove box or center console... is not considered 'concealed'. However, if a 'passenger' is a former felon, alien nationalor any other person not 'allowed' access to firearms normally, is within' the vehicle... then such storage should be restricted to the owner (driver) of the vehicle... Locking the glovebox, etc. should suffice.

As for a CWP holder (female forinstance) having a weapon in their purse, under their immediate control... The non-permit passengers would not be liable for unauthorized CC. My wife (forinstance) does not have her CWP as yet... (I do). If I'm heeled concealed when driving, and she's a passenger... she's not 'liable' for that. Similarly... if I'm heeled concealed and she's driving.

Any person otherwise normally permitted to carry openly w/o a CWP would be 'legal'... even if they strapped that weapon openly on their hip. They need not reside in the state of Arizona either.

I dunno where the NRA is comin' from.

Post imported post

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Here is the link to refer to what I was speaking about.

Post imported post

Actually the statement is technically true, and while I don't think any cops would pursue it, you may run across that one 'anti' that does. I don't want to be the test case.

Let's just make sure that all the good civil rights laws before the state legislature get debated and passed so that the good Governor Brewer can finally put Nappy's veto pen to rest. Perhaps we can restore the rights that have been slowly eroded by those Kommiefornians that keep pouring across our border.

Post imported post

'Pack or luggage' already covers that... for all intent. Whatinhell's a 'Right-To-Carry' Permit? You have a Concealed Weapons Permit... or none.

NRA's playin' Chicken Little here.

Post imported post

Yeah Sonora, they way it's worded is very bizarre.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    'Pack or luggage' already covers that... for all intent. Whatinhell's a 'Right-To-Carry' Permit? You have a Concealed Weapons Permit... or none.

NRA's playin' Chicken Little here.
    As I stated in an earlier post, The NRA is a joke. They are a too easy to compromise group. They've went along with the 1968 Gun Control Act, the Bill Clinton "Assault" Weapons Ban, and other Draconian pieces of legislation. Join a group that takes the 2nd amendment seriously, such as GOA or AZCDL. Case in point; Why on their website is there no mention of OC, just CC Bills pending? If they're really for 2A, then be for ALL of 2A.

Post imported post

This is good to know because one of my closest friends has a felony from years ago and I'm often with him. Often times he'll be in the passenger seat with my gun holstered in the glove box (as required to be "open carry compliant").

Post imported post

usdm419 wrote:
    This is good to know because one of my closest friends has a felony from years ago and I'm often with him.* Often times he'll be in the passenger seat with my gun holstered in the glove box (as required to be "open carry compliant").
    INAL but this may actually get him in trouble. It's within his control. I would not take the opinion of people on a bulletin board on this topic, (no matter how smart we are) be smart and ask an attorney.

Post imported post

Yeah I'll do that. A police officer should know as well, no? SHOULD being the key word there.

Post imported post

usdm419 wrote:
    This is good to know because one of my closest friends has a felony from years ago and I'm often with him. Often times he'll be in the passenger seat with my gun holstered in the glove box (as required to be "open carry compliant").
    "open carry compliant?" - Please feel free to correct me, but the way I read the law, your firearm must be readily visible or completely non-visible, such as in a glove box. Does this really mean that even if I am carrying in a OWB holster, when I get in the car I have to put it away? I am visiting the Phoenix area this weekend and want to carry, but don't want any legal problems.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Post imported post

no, you are allowed to have it on your hip in the car. but you can put it in the glove compartment if you choose too

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:
    no, you are allowed to have it on your hip in the car. but you can put it in the glove compartment if you choose too
    Thanks for the info. Strange law, but I will comply.

edit: I should slow down when I read. I was reading "you are not" instead of "you are", so it makes more sense now.