Thread: Texas judge orders site to identify anonymous trolls, flamers

Post imported post

The right to flame someone online has typically been protected by the courts, but a Texas judge has decided enough is enough when it comes to 178 anonymous commenters on Topix.com. The site has less than a month to hand over identifying information about the Internet trolls.

A Texas judge has ordered an online news site to unveil identifying details about 178 anonymous commenters on the site. The order came after a couple, Mark and Rhonda Lesher, sued the numerous anonymous commenters posting to Topix.com for making what they considered to be "perverted, sick, vile, inhumane accusations" about them.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...ls-flamers.ars

Post imported post

TOPIX SPECIAL REPORT
    Topix vs. Tarrant County
    A judge in Texas has ordered Topix to reveal potentially identifying information about 178 anonymous commenters who allegedly defamed two Tarrant County residents online. What do you think?

HA like im going to fall for that, nice try judge but ill keep my comments to myself

Post imported post

Sounds like a hit on Freedom of speech to me. I hear "perverted, sick, vile, inhumane accusations” from politicians and the media everyday against those they don’t like because the same views aren’t shared. Feelings get hurt “get over it”

Great moregovernment control! If this happens the majority of lurkers will be Government watchdogs, or lawyers lurking for cases.

Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

OOOOOOHHHHH! BOOO HOOO HOOO HOOO! Tumboddy hurt my widdow feewings! OOOHHH BOOO HOOO PEESE MAKE DEM STOP!

Hell I could have AWD Stylez locked up for the rest of his LIFE.......

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    ...SNIP
    Hell I could have AWD Stylez locked up for the rest of his LIFE.......
    Kind of a waste of money to save a single9mm cartridge.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Not the first time this has happened. I seem to recall a case in DE or somewhere. It got tossed. Libel is libel, however, and someday a case will be made. Will be interesting to watch if this one gets traction. I would bet against it, though.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Banned

Post imported post

Gunslinger doesn't love his mama.