• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas judge orders site to identify anonymous trolls, flamers

ne1

imported post

The right to flame someone online has typically been protected by the courts, but a Texas judge has decided enough is enough when it comes to 178 anonymous commenters on Topix.com. The site has less than a month to hand over identifying information about the Internet trolls.

A Texas judge has ordered an online news site to unveil identifying details about 178 anonymous commenters on the site. The order came after a couple, Mark and Rhonda Lesher, sued the numerous anonymous commenters posting to Topix.com for making what they considered to be "perverted, sick, vile, inhumane accusations" about them.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/02/texas-judge-orders-site-to-identify-anonymous-trolls-flamers.ars

jbone

imported post

Sounds like a hit on Freedom of speech to me. I hear "perverted, sick, vile, inhumane accusations” from politicians and the media everyday against those they don’t like because the same views aren’t shared. Feelings get hurt “get over it”

Great moregovernment control! If this happens the majority of lurkers will be Government watchdogs, or lawyers lurking for cases.

Gunslinger

imported post

Not the first time this has happened. I seem to recall a case in DE or somewhere. It got tossed. Libel is libel, however, and someday a case will be made. Will be interesting to watch if this one gets traction. I would bet against it, though.