• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying with the family?

chiefjason

imported post

I have seen that a lot of you OC while at work or out during the day. How many of you OC while out with your families? I have a wife and 2 young girls. I hunt so they are familiar with me carrying guns in and out of the house. My wife is actually not very thrilled by the idea of OC. She is almost willing to pay for the CC class now to get me to stop talking about it. :lol: Just curious. Still kicking around the idea of OC'ing, I like the price range. Been scouting out all my normal haunts, no signage so far.

partemisio

imported post

I have OC'ed around my mom, sister, brother, father, grandparents, cousins, aunt, uncles, and a combination of them at the same time. My grandparents are really the only ones that said anything to me, they don't like guns because of what they saw in wars. I have since changed their mind on the subject of me open carrying.

grimstar

imported post

Welcome to OCDO.

If you want some really interesting looks, try going to Barnes and Noble, or any other haven of the liberally minded, and open carrying...while pushing a stroller with your infant son in it.

:lol:

good times....

Grimstar

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I OC when out with my parents and when I'm with my GF.

My parents just tell me I'm going to get arrested, but don't tell me to hide it when I'm with them.

My GF (who has CHP) would prefer I hide it, but doesn't tell me not to OC. She just doesn't like me carrying. Her reason is that then we can't horseplay and she doesn't want to get hurt by running into the gun.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I started carrying openly while I was dating my current girlfriend. She shared my initial nervousness, but supported me. She has an 8 yr old boy, and we all go out on a regular basis while I'm carrying. I get a lot more looks when I'm by myself. Those two seem to make me look more innocent lol.

My immediate family lives in another state where open carry isn't legal w/o a permit, so I haven't carried around them. When I talk to them about it, they're nervous about it, but they trust my judgement. My sister thinks I'm a paranoid idiot, but then again she's a psycho, controlling, insecure, over-bearing liberal that double majored in, get this, religion and politics. did I mention she's also hypocritical? I take her opinions with a grain of salt. I also keep myself on a low sodium diet. :D

acritical

imported post

I open carry all the time, and every where I can do so legally. It does not matter who I am with, whether it is my gf, brother, sister, kids, etc... Actually, if for some reason I am not carrying, they look at me strange and ask if something is wrong. My g/f actually had me go and get my firearm once.

Those on the board that has met me, knows that my g/f does not carry and being from NJ, she has no desire to ever do so. She however, encourages me to when we go out.

chiefjason

imported post

Thanks. Yeah it's a weird problem. If I had my CC my wife would be fine with it and would probably want me to carry everywhere we went. She just does not particularly like the attention that OC might attract. Still working on it.

Gilly

imported post

I carry around the family all the time. My wife carries too. The kids stopped asking about it after about a week. It's normal to them now.

NoGlock4U

imported post

I carry everywhere... minus Gov't buildings :p

My folks don't think it's normal to carry even around the house but with the economy like this, I've done my best to explain...

My wife has gotten used to it and is more aware of why I carry.

ocgso

imported post

I have a gun on me everywhere that I am legally allowed to carry it. I carry around the house and everywhere we go in the evenings and on the weekend. At first the wife wasn't thrilled, but I finally got her thinking of it like wearing a seat belt. She is so accustomed to me wearing a gun that some days she will ask me what I am carrying or even make a suggestion when I open the safe.

The in-laws aren't thrilled about it when they are around, but I could care less.

My three year old rarely even points it out anymore that Daddy is carrying a gun (since he sees it every day).

My only complaint is that there are so many places I cannot OC, that it is difficult to keep one on me. In addition, I cannot have one on premises at work so my gun is at home for my daily commute.

Mungo

imported post

I think I see where you are coming from. I will not OC when I'm out and about with my family simply because OC'ing can be confrontational and I'm not willing to do that when I'm responsible for my family. I CC when I'm with them.

Just don't want to risk getting into a discussion with the law in front of the family.