• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-resident OC

Boondock Saint

imported post

My BIL, a Virginian, just joined the ranks of gun ownership. I live in the People's Republic of Maryland, so I don't get to enjoy the right to OC, but I do get to enjoy teaching a new shooter.

I assume that the OC laws are the same for citizens/non-citizens of the state? If not, could anyone clarify?

Many thanks!

livitup

imported post

Your assumption is correct. The only place there is a distinction between residents and non-residents is in the code surrounding CHP applications.

The beauty of open carry in VA is that it is not specifically spelled out as being legal; but there are no laws against it. So there's no place to legislate that resident OC is handled differently than non-resident OC.

Enjoy your stay in the Commonwealth!

Boondock Saint

imported post

Outstanding. I've been reading a lot of the stories on here, getting a feel for the "tolerance" in NOVA, and it seems like things are just fine and dandy down there.

Now all I have to go is get a Blackhawk Serpa for the XD45. I'd use the stock holster that comes with the XD, but I can't get the tension right on it. Either it's too loose in the event someone tries to disarm me, or so tight that I can't draw it reliably.

Thanks for the info!

richarcm

imported post

Boondock Saint wrote:
Outstanding. I've been reading a lot of the stories on here, getting a feel for the "tolerance" in NOVA, and it seems like things are just fine and dandy down there.

Now all I have to go is get a Blackhawk Serpa for the XD45. I'd use the stock holster that comes with the XD, but I can't get the tension right on it. Either it's too loose in the event someone tries to disarm me, or so tight that I can't draw it reliably.

Thanks for the info!
I've got one of the FOBUS (?) holsters for my XD9 and have realized the similar problem. I suppose it is about as balanced as it is going to get. I really don't care for the plastic holsters anyways. I want to get a nice IWB holster. They are just so expensive!!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Boondock Saint wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Enjoy your "freedom outting" here in Virginia. You'll truly be amazed at what a non-issue it really is. The stories on this forum are not from a bunch of people blowing smoke.

As for the Serpa, make sure you practice with it and get used to pressing the release button on your draws.

Boondock Saint

imported post

I've read that the draw can take a little time to etched into one's muscle memory, and I intend on practicing quite a bit before going "into the wild," so to speak. Perhaps one day I'll spring for the Florida non-resident permit and be able to have a little more freedom when not in the People's Republic.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Boondock Saint wrote:
I've read that the draw can take a little time to etched into one's muscle memory, and I intend on practicing quite a bit before going "into the wild," so to speak. Perhaps one day I'll spring for the Florida non-resident permit and be able to have a little more freedom when not in the People's Republic.
Consider a Utah non-resident permit rather than Florida. Its much cheaper in the long run and gives you more states than Florida.

Boondock Saint

imported post

I don't fly, so picking up a few states in the mid-west wouldn't mean anything to me. The additional fees for the required training also make a Utah non-resident permit less attractive than the Florida non-resident permit for me.

ProShooter

imported post

Boondock Saint wrote:
I don't fly, so picking up a few states in the mid-west wouldn't mean anything to me. The additional fees for the required training also make a Utah non-resident permit less attractive than the Florida non-resident permit for me.
But compare what the training cost is compared to the savings of the permit cost and renewal. I think someone here posted a comparison one time. Its a considerable savings.

Boondock Saint

imported post

IIRC, the permit prices are about $65 for Utah and $115 for Florida, both good for five years. Renewal is about $10 and $100, respectively. Training would be about $80 for Utah, and free for Florida.

By the numbers, Utah makes sense. The real dilemma comes from the fact that I have some family in Florida, but may be buying property in WV. To my knowledge, WV doesn't recognize the Florida non-resident permit. Does anyone know if WV recognizes Utah's non-resident permit?

ProShooter

imported post

Boondock Saint wrote:
IIRC, the permit prices are about $65 for Utah and $115 for Florida, both good for five years. Renewal is about $10 and $100, respectively. Training would be about $80 for Utah, and free for Florida.

By the numbers, Utah makes sense. The real dilemma comes from the fact that I have some family in Florida, but may be buying property in WV. To my knowledge, WV doesn't recognize the Florida non-resident permit. Does anyone know if WV recognizes Utah's non-resident permit?
WV and Florida only recognize a Utah resident permit unfortunately...

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ProShooter, the thing about Florida law though is that if you don't have a resident permit from a reciprocal state then you can't carry in Florida (like some other states). A trip to Florida is a whole lot closer than a trip to Utah, so for folks stuck in Maryland or other places where a CCW permit is hard to get perhaps both would be the best option, but Florida first. That would certainly be the path I'd take.

Boondock Saint

imported post

And perhaps the final nail in the coffin, and maybe a silly question to boot: Does Florida recognize its own non-resident permit for non-residents visiting Florida?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Boondock Saint if you are buying property in WV you may be eligible for a WV resident permit. Check the laws to see if that's a possibility since you will be a landowner.

Yes Florida does recognize its own non-resident permit.

crazydude6030

imported post

Boondock Saint wrote:
And perhaps the final nail in the coffin, and maybe a silly question to boot: Does Florida recognize its own non-resident permit for non-residents visiting Florida?
You might want to check this site you. Its have helped me some when understanding some state carry laws.

http://handgunlaw.us/

According to this FL will honor the following...

http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas Colorado Delaware
Georgia Idaho Indiana Kansas Kentucky Louisiana
Michigan Mississippi Missouri Montana Nevada New Hampshire
New Mexico North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Pennsylvania
South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont
Virginia West Virginia Wyoming

Oh and as always i would fact check things out on your own to make sure they are valid.

ProShooter

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
ProShooter, the thing about Florida law though is that if you don't have a resident permit from a reciprocal state then you can't carry in Florida (like some other states). A trip to Florida is a whole lot closer than a trip to Utah, so for folks stuck in Maryland or other places where a CCW permit is hard to get perhaps both would be the best option, but Florida first. That would certainly be the path I'd take.

Understood, good info.

eta - It will all be a moot point when Utah HB 204 wipes out all of us out of state instructors... :(

leprechaun117

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Boondock Saint if you are buying property in WV you may be eligible for a WV resident permit.  Check the laws to see if that's a possibility since you will be a landowner.

I doubt it... My boss has to buy out of state deer permits (at $175 per deer!!!) To hunt on his own 100 acres w/ cabin.