Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Kimber

Post imported post

I've been browsing all of the different 1911 models over the last few months, and I think I've finally decided to go with a Kimber. I'm looking at the Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II (those laser grips are just too cool!). Does anyone have opinions on this particular pistol or on Kimbers in general?

Post imported post

I have a Kimber Eclipse that I absolutely LOVE!

The gun is just hands down the best in my opinion. I love taking it to the range because I always get compliments on it.

The kick isn't that bad at all and the grouping is excellent.

Only a few thousand rounds through it so far, but no malfunctions/jams so far! :celebrate

Post imported post

I dont have any firsthand experience with them. I've heard mixed reviews...as with any other manufacturer. I will say that Kimbers build one handsome 1911. The Crimson Carry is certainly no exception. I doubt you can go wrong as long as you don't mind the investment in getting that particular gun.

Post imported post

The 1911 is a great choice for a firearm. It has proven itself in about 100 years of service to millions of people. Kimbers are a great firearm. I have a Stainless II that has recently replaced my XD as my carry gun. They are made in the USA and have a fantastic customer service dept as with most US gun manufacturers.

I will say that my Kimber is more maintenance intensive than my XD and requires a bit more TLC and I cannot shoot cheaper ammo in it.

All in all, I love my Kimber and I know they will stand behind it should something go wrong. It is scary accurate and so far I have had no issues with it. I use only Wilson Combat model 47D magazines.

Best of luck with your choice. If you go pick up a copy of SWAT magazine they had a review of the Crimson Carry II in the February issue. Perhaps that could help you out.

Post imported post

I have owned a Kimber Tactical II ( 3 inch bbl ) for a year now and love it. I shoot WWb 230 gr FMJ for practice and have had no problems with it.

I use the Kim pro Tac-mags .

Post imported post

Kimbers are Great Guns. I know several who own them, and they'll own them until death.

Springfields and Kimbers are the only 1911's I'll buy with my own money

Post imported post

I bought a used Kimber Classic Custom a few months ago and it's a great shooter. It had FTF problems, but I bought some new magazines and a new recoil spring and it's been reliable since. Previous owner said he barely used it, but who knows how many rounds were really put through it.

It's a very tight gun. Hardly any play in the slide. The safety clicks on/off very smoothly. The trigger is great. There is a little bit of vertical and side to side play, but nothing that would concern me. I've only put two mags of JHP through it and it functioned fine. It's not going to replace my XD as a carry piece though as I like the greater capacity of the XD, and the XD eats any kind of JHP.

Post imported post

Careful with Kimber. The following does not apply to all Kimbers, but...buyer beware.

1) My self-defense trainer (fpftraining.com) has seen many of them come through his courses and "many have fallen apart". Just an observation by someone who is in the industry and sees many, many guns come through two day classes.

2) My experience:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...tactical+ultra

The problem was cruddy quality control. I had a gunsmith evaluate the gun and he found many problems that were completely avoidable. I do recommend that you read the thread and look for each of the problems listed in any gun you're considering.

Post imported post

Just me sayin' it, but there's plenty of good 1911's out there that won't cost you an arm & leg. To me Kimber is just a name, an expensive name. I'm fond of Springfields and I'd match em to any Kimber you brought out. I also like Taurus' and they make a fine weapon. But if you've got your heart set on spending about 500$ too much for a .45 have at it.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
    Just me sayin' it, but there's plenty of good 1911's out there that won't cost you an arm & leg. To me Kimber is just a name, an expensive name. I'm fond of Springfields and I'd match em to any Kimber you brought out. I also like Taurus' and they make a fine weapon. But if you've got your heart set on spending about 500$ too much for a .45 have at it.
    Which is why I said I wou;dn't spend MY money on a Kimber, but would own one is someone payed for it

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:
    Kimbers are Great Guns. I know several who own them, and they'll own them until death.

Actually you did say you would buy one with your own money...

Post imported post

Vandal wrote:
    Dustin wrote:

Actually you did say you would buy one with your own money...
    Talk about your basic faux pas' he did indeed say that, i bet he meant Sringfields and ??
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
    Careful with Kimber. The following does not apply to all Kimbers, but...buyer beware.

1) My self-defense trainer (fpftraining.com) has seen many of them come through his courses and "many have fallen apart". Just an observation by someone who is in the industry and sees many, many guns come through two day classes.

2) My experience:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...tactical+ultra

The problem was cruddy quality control. I had a gunsmith evaluate the gun and he found many problems that were completely avoidable. I do recommend that you read the thread and look for each of the problems listed in any gun you're considering.
    From what I've heard, it's the newer II versions that have the QC issues. That's why I looked specifically for the original Kimbers. That and I didn't want a 1911 with a schwartz safety like all the II models.

Post imported post

No matter, still wouldn't own one their priced too high and won't eat garbage like my Sringfield. Have yet to have a failure to feed or extract, after 2000 rounds.

Post imported post

I bought a Kimber Cutom II back in October last year, but has been so busy so only took it shooting once. Put about 200 rounds through it and after the first 50 rounds started havingabout oneFTF per magazine. Used the original mag though, i heard using Wilson mags hels a lot. Also, their manual clearly states that the gun in machined to very tight tolerances and requires a break-in of about 500 rounds during which FTFs and FTEs shouldn't be a concern. I've been so busy lately, that couldn't make it to the range since october, but next time i go i'll try to get it to 500 rounds and see if anything changes. Anyone else had these problems initially that went away after break in?

Post imported post

Oops. Bad wording.

You guys get the point anyway.

Same with Glocks, I'd own one, carry it maybe too, but I wouldn't buy one.

Post imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
    No matter, still wouldn't own one their priced too high and won't eat garbage like my Sringfield. Have yet to have a failure to feed or extract, after 2000 rounds.
    I got mine for $450 with night sights and 5 magazines. I didn't think I paid too much... My gun gets fed ammo, not garbage. It is not a flux capacitor. Bullets from it do fly over 88mph, but they do not travel back in time as far as I know :P

Post imported post

And this month's Shooting Illustrated has a review of the Crimson Carry.

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    I've been browsing all of the different 1911 models over the last few months, and I think I've finally decided to go with a Kimber. I'm looking at the Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II (those laser grips are just too cool!). Does anyone have opinions on this particular pistol or on Kimbers in general?
    I've got about 250-300 rounds throughthat exact modeland it's a real tack-driver. The gun has 500+ through it, but not all of it was fired by me. The Kimber is easily capable of 0.75" to 1.00" groups at 50' off of the irons or using the laser and it will do it all day long with a capable shooter behind the trigger. That was using cheap old Remington UMC "brick" ammunition, 230gr ball. Factory Speer Gold dots (also in 230 gr) shot equally well but burned cleaner and had less flash.

Make sure you follow the "break-in" period in the manual though. The accuracy definitely improved after we put 400+ rounds through the pistol. (It was shooting about 2" or so out of the box initiially.We had no failure to feed. We hadtwo failures to extract during the "break-in" period from one shooter. When I fired to attempt to duplicate the FTE, I was unable to get the gun to malfunction. I suspect it was an improper grip near the slide that caused the other shooter to experience the FTE's. After he changed his grip slightly, the pistol cycled perfectly for him.

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    KansasMustang wrote:
    I got mine for $450 with night sights and 5 magazines. I didn't think I paid too much... My gun gets fed ammo, not garbage. It is not a flux capacitor. Bullets from it do fly over 88mph, but they do not travel back in time as far as I know :P
    You got a good price, which is very rare. Bet you didn't buy it at a gun store? And you know hat I meant by garbage, cheap ammo. No matter, I'll still take my Springfield over anything that Kimber puts out.

Post imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
    eyesopened wrote:
    KansasMustang wrote:
    You got a good price, which is very rare. Bet you didn't buy it at a gun store? And you know hat I meant by garbage, cheap ammo. No matter, I'll still take my Springfield over anything that Kimber puts out.
    You'd probably change your tune if you had a Kimber All kidding aside, I like Springfield too. I own an XD and an EMP. I wouldn't go out and buy a Kimber, this one just fell into my lap.

A friend of a friend was selling to fund his gun club membership. My friend told me about the deal and I told him he should buy it for that price. He was short on funds so I said I'd buy it if he wasn't going to. The day I picked it up, I told my friend again he should buy it but he passed. They owner actually bought the pistol used from a gun store that his wife worked at for $450 a few years ago (I have the receipt to prove it). He said he was selling it for pretty much what he put into it, except he had added the night sights.

I've shot Federal/UMC/WWB and range reloads through it and it's never choked (after I had changed out the recoil spring and used new magazines). I understand though not wanting to buy a Kimber just for the name. I think Springfields are great and their warranty is awesome. I've had to send back the EMP once and it was back in my hands promptly and I was refunded my costs to ship to them.

Post imported post

My Kimber has at least 10,000 rounds through it. Fuctionally, it is just as reliable as the Springfields, Colts, Glocks, etc. Any gun can have a malfunction under the right (or wrong) conditions. I will occasionally get a FTE, but this is only with light reloads at a match. I would never use these loads for carry.

I will say that the adjustable sights on Kimbers do sometimes work loose. A little locktite does the trick on this.

Post imported post

I purchased the Stainless Ultra Carry II quite a few years ago. I have yet to have a problem with this pistol.

A few years ago I purchased the Ultra Raptor II. That pistol was sent back twice and I ended up with a new pistol from Kimber. That gun had FTE/FTL malfunctions. The new one has not given me the problems, but I have not been able to put the rounds through it yet....Just a bit too cold for me to be in the range to squeeze off all 500 rounds.

I shoot sshhhh Wolf, PMC and Federal Hydros. All shoot fine!

Post imported post

From what I've heard, it's the newer II versions that have the QC issues.Â* That's why I looked specifically for the original Kimbers.Â* That and I didn't want a 1911 with a schwartz safety like all the II models.
    Correct...mine was a version 2 Kimber. I hear many good things about their older guns too.

The old "it's a machine that can fail argument" is too broad to apply to the situation I encountered. A professional gunsmith verified the problem and evaluated the pistol. I had this done prior to contacting Kimber for a repair.

BTW, I ***HIGHLY*** recommend that you spend the money to have a gunsmith look at your gun and show you how to evaluate it from a technical perspective. It was $30 very well spent.

Banned

Post imported post

i looked at one yesterday, pretty nice gun.

i really want a ultra carry ii but there is a 60 day backorder.

i decided to get a used para ordnance p12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast