• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a Kimber

hunter45

imported post

I've been browsing all of the different 1911 models over the last few months, and I think I've finally decided to go with a Kimber. I'm looking at the Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II (those laser grips are just too cool!). Does anyone have opinions on this particular pistol or on Kimbers in general?

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I have a Kimber Eclipse that I absolutely LOVE!

The gun is just hands down the best in my opinion. I love taking it to the range because I always get compliments on it.

The kick isn't that bad at all and the grouping is excellent.

Only a few thousand rounds through it so far, but no malfunctions/jams so far! :celebrate

richarcm

imported post

I dont have any firsthand experience with them. I've heard mixed reviews...as with any other manufacturer. I will say that Kimbers build one handsome 1911. The Crimson Carry is certainly no exception. I doubt you can go wrong as long as you don't mind the investment in getting that particular gun.

Vandal

imported post

The 1911 is a great choice for a firearm. It has proven itself in about 100 years of service to millions of people. Kimbers are a great firearm. I have a Stainless II that has recently replaced my XD as my carry gun. They are made in the USA and have a fantastic customer service dept as with most US gun manufacturers.

I will say that my Kimber is more maintenance intensive than my XD and requires a bit more TLC and I cannot shoot cheaper ammo in it.

All in all, I love my Kimber and I know they will stand behind it should something go wrong. It is scary accurate and so far I have had no issues with it. I use only Wilson Combat model 47D magazines.

Best of luck with your choice. If you go pick up a copy of SWAT magazine they had a review of the Crimson Carry II in the February issue. Perhaps that could help you out.

eyesopened

imported post

I bought a used Kimber Classic Custom a few months ago and it's a great shooter. It had FTF problems, but I bought some new magazines and a new recoil spring and it's been reliable since. Previous owner said he barely used it, but who knows how many rounds were really put through it.

It's a very tight gun. Hardly any play in the slide. The safety clicks on/off very smoothly. The trigger is great. There is a little bit of vertical and side to side play, but nothing that would concern me. I've only put two mags of JHP through it and it functioned fine. It's not going to replace my XD as a carry piece though as I like the greater capacity of the XD, and the XD eats any kind of JHP.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Careful with Kimber. The following does not apply to all Kimbers, but...buyer beware.

1) My self-defense trainer (fpftraining.com) has seen many of them come through his courses and "many have fallen apart". Just an observation by someone who is in the industry and sees many, many guns come through two day classes.

2) My experience:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=105608&highlight=kimber+tactical+ultra

The problem was cruddy quality control. I had a gunsmith evaluate the gun and he found many problems that were completely avoidable. I do recommend that you read the thread and look for each of the problems listed in any gun you're considering.

KansasMustang

imported post

Just me sayin' it, but there's plenty of good 1911's out there that won't cost you an arm & leg. To me Kimber is just a name, an expensive name. I'm fond of Springfields and I'd match em to any Kimber you brought out. I also like Taurus' and they make a fine weapon. But if you've got your heart set on spending about 500$ too much for a .45 have at it.

Dustin

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
Just me sayin' it, but there's plenty of good 1911's out there that won't cost you an arm & leg. To me Kimber is just a name, an expensive name. I'm fond of Springfields and I'd match em to any Kimber you brought out. I also like Taurus' and they make a fine weapon. But if you've got your heart set on spending about 500$ too much for a .45 have at it.

Which is why I said I wou;dn't spend MY money on a Kimber, but would own one is someone payed for it :lol:

Vandal

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Kimbers are Great Guns. I know several who own them, and they'll own them until death.

Springfields and Kimbers are the only 1911's I'll buy with my own money :)

Actually you did say you would buy one with your own money...

KansasMustang

imported post

Vandal wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Kimbers are Great Guns. I know several who own them, and they'll own them until death.

Springfields and Kimbers are the only 1911's I'll buy with my own money :)

Actually you did say you would buy one with your own money...
Talk about your basic faux pas' he did indeed say that, i bet he meant Sringfields and ??

eyesopened

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
Careful with Kimber. The following does not apply to all Kimbers, but...buyer beware.

1) My self-defense trainer (fpftraining.com) has seen many of them come through his courses and "many have fallen apart". Just an observation by someone who is in the industry and sees many, many guns come through two day classes.

2) My experience:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=105608&highlight=kimber+tactical+ultra

The problem was cruddy quality control. I had a gunsmith evaluate the gun and he found many problems that were completely avoidable. I do recommend that you read the thread and look for each of the problems listed in any gun you're considering.
From what I've heard, it's the newer II versions that have the QC issues. That's why I looked specifically for the original Kimbers. That and I didn't want a 1911 with a schwartz safety like all the II models.

KansasMustang

imported post

No matter, still wouldn't own one their priced too high and won't eat garbage like my Sringfield. Have yet to have a failure to feed or extract, after 2000 rounds.

Chaingun81

imported post

I bought a Kimber Cutom II back in October last year, but has been so busy so only took it shooting once. Put about 200 rounds through it and after the first 50 rounds started havingabout oneFTF per magazine. Used the original mag though, i heard using Wilson mags hels a lot. Also, their manual clearly states that the gun in machined to very tight tolerances and requires a break-in of about 500 rounds during which FTFs and FTEs shouldn't be a concern. I've been so busy lately, that couldn't make it to the range since october, but next time i go i'll try to get it to 500 rounds and see if anything changes. Anyone else had these problems initially that went away after break in?

eyesopened

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
No matter, still wouldn't own one their priced too high and won't eat garbage like my Sringfield. Have yet to have a failure to feed or extract, after 2000 rounds.
I got mine for $450 with night sights and 5 magazines. I didn't think I paid too much... My gun gets fed ammo, not garbage. It is not a flux capacitor. Bullets from it do fly over 88mph, but they do not travel back in time as far as I know :p

shad0wfax

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I've been browsing all of the different 1911 models over the last few months, and I think I've finally decided to go with a Kimber. I'm looking at the Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II (those laser grips are just too cool!). Does anyone have opinions on this particular pistol or on Kimbers in general?

I've got about 250-300 rounds throughthat exact modeland it's a real tack-driver. The gun has 500+ through it, but not all of it was fired by me. The Kimber is easily capable of 0.75" to 1.00" groups at 50' off of the irons or using the laser and it will do it all day long with a capable shooter behind the trigger. That was using cheap old Remington UMC "brick" ammunition, 230gr ball. Factory Speer Gold dots (also in 230 gr) shot equally well but burned cleaner and had less flash.

Make sure you follow the "break-in" period in the manual though. The accuracy definitely improved after we put 400+ rounds through the pistol. (It was shooting about 2" or so out of the box initiially.We had no failure to feed. We hadtwo failures to extract during the "break-in" period from one shooter. When I fired to attempt to duplicate the FTE, I was unable to get the gun to malfunction. I suspect it was an improper grip near the slide that caused the other shooter to experience the FTE's. After he changed his grip slightly, the pistol cycled perfectly for him.

KansasMustang

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
KansasMustang wrote:
I got mine for $450 with night sights and 5 magazines. I didn't think I paid too much... My gun gets fed ammo, not garbage. It is not a flux capacitor. Bullets from it do fly over 88mph, but they do not travel back in time as far as I know :p
You got a good price, which is very rare. Bet you didn't buy it at a gun store? And you know hat I meant by garbage, cheap ammo. No matter, I'll still take my Springfield over anything that Kimber puts out.