• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Lees summit,

warlocke

imported post

i just got off the phone with lees summit PD and they said that unless you have a CCW permit you cannot Open Carry. =( sucks since i cant get ccw for 2 more years.

however in the state of missouri you can keep it loaded, within reach, in your vehicle, only stipulation on that is it has to be hidden. and that it also has to be registered to you and you be over 21, and no felonies or anything else that would prevent getting a firearm.

Article1section23

imported post

warlocke wrote:
i just got off the phone with lees summit PD and they said that unless you have a CCW permit you cannot Open Carry. =( sucks since i cant get ccw for 2 more years.

however in the state of missouri you can keep it loaded, within reach, in your vehicle, only stipulation on that is it has to be hidden. and that it also has to be registered to you and you be over 21, and no felonies or anything else that would prevent getting a firearm.

Warlocke, Get a copy of the ordinance and post it here for us...can you do that? You can probably get a copy at the library or court house. The online version doesn't match what they are telling you and you shouldn't be asking them anyway.

CODE OF ORDINANCES
City of
LEE'S SUMMIT, MISSOURI

Codified through
Ordinance No. 6651, enacted July 17, 2008.
(Supplement No. 23)

http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=11152&sid=25

Read section - 17.162. There is nothing in there about OC Ban. Also, I didn't read anything in the new sections that have been added since July 17, 2008.

warlocke

imported post

Shawn wrote:
warlocke wrote:

Warlocke, Get a copy of the ordinance and post it here for us...can you do that? You can probably get a copy at the library or court house. The online version doesn't match what they are telling you and you shouldn't be asking them anyway.

CODE OF ORDINANCES
City of
LEE'S SUMMIT, MISSOURI

Codified through
Ordinance No. 6651, enacted July 17, 2008.
(Supplement No. 23)

http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=11152&sid=25

Read section - 17.162. There is nothing in there about OC Ban. Also, I didn't read anything in the new sections that have been added since July 17, 2008.
i can try later this week.

warlocke

imported post

i will print the section you indicated off and take it to the court house and ask them hopefully tomorrow.

i thought that the pd would be the best place. thats why i called them lol. esp considering its a local law that will ban it.

Gordie

imported post

warlocke wrote:
i will print the section you indicated off and take it to the court house and ask them hopefully tomorrow.

i thought that the pd would be the best place. thats why i called them lol. esp considering its a local law that will ban it.
Sadly, cops are sometimes the worst people to ask about the law. Many have no idea what the law actually says, only what they've been told or hold as their own opinion.

warlocke

imported post

Gordie wrote:
warlocke wrote:

Sadly, cops are sometimes the worst people to ask about the law. Many have no idea what the law actually says, only what they've been told or hold as their own opinion.
ok, just got back from them, court house said that the section i printed off is the most current version, and they couldnt say weather or not it was legal, i walked into the pd, (next door) lol, and asked, she said that its legal but to expect to be called on quite a bit. and that i cant take it into buildings that have the signs or anything, obviously. and that they strongly suggest you dont OC.

However she did say as an example of a place you cannot carry into is quick trip.

so i will oc whenever i can now since i cant cc.

does anyone know the law on raymore, belton, raytown and harrisionville?

those are the towns im in most of the time. and i drive through grandview once in awhile so would like to know there as well.

Article1section23

imported post

warlocke wrote:
ok, just got back from them, court house said that the section i printed off is the most current version, and they couldnt say weather or not it was legal, i walked into the pd, (next door) lol, and asked, she said that its legal but to expect to be called on quite a bit. and that i cant take it into buildings that have the signs or anything, obviously. and that they strongly suggest you dont OC.

However she did say as an example of a place you cannot carry into is quick trip.

those are the towns im in most of the time. and i drive through grandview once in awhile so would like to know there as well.
Warlocke....why don't you find out what the law is in those towns and letus know? I bet you could have a couple of answers within the next 30 minutes if you used Google.

warlocke

imported post

Shawn wrote:
warlocke wrote:

Warlocke....why don't you find out what the law is in those towns and letus know? I bet you could have a couple of answers within the next 30 minutes if you used Google.
and i just realized that the site quoted to me had multiple cities lol. just been reading ls laws and such.

raytown has almost the same wording as lees summit,

grandview and belton have the same wording as each other, says nothing about oc except in city buildings, im assuming its ok???

clinton has nothing in their ordances, but does have one that requires physicians to report all gun shot wounds or knife wounds to the chief of police in writing within 24 hours of seeing the patient.

thanks

warlocke

imported post

also the copy of the ordiances you keep on you, is it just this section?

Sec. 17-162. Unlawful use of weapons; exceptions. A. A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly: 1. Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or 2. Sets a spring gun; or 3. Discharges or shoots a firearm into a dwelling house, a railroad train, boat, aircraft, or motor vehicle as defined in section 302.010, RSMo, or any building or structure used for the assembling of people; or 4. Exhibits in the presence of one (1) or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner; or 5. Possesses a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated; or 6. Discharges a firearm within one hundred yards of any occupied schoolhouse, courthouse, or church building; or 7. Discharges or shoots a firearm at a mark, at any object, or at random, on, along or across a public highway or discharges or shoots a firearm into any outbuilding; or 8. Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any church or place where people have assembled for worship, or into any election precinct on any election day, or into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government, state government, or political subdivision thereof; or 9. Discharges or shoots a firearm at or from a motor vehicle, as defined in section 301.010, RSMo, discharges or shoots a firearm at any person, or at any other motor vehicle, or at any building or habitable structure, unless the person was lawfully acting in self-defense; or 10. Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board. B. Subsections A.1., A.3, A.4., A.6, A.7, A.8, A.9, and A.10 of this section shall not apply to or affect any of the following: 1. All state, county and municipal peace officers possessing the duty and power of arrest for violation of the general criminal laws of the state or for violation of ordinances of counties or municipalities of the state, whether such officers are within or outside their jurisdictions or off duty, or any person summoned by such officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while actually engaged in assisting such officer; or 2. Wardens, superintendents and keepers of prisons, penitentiaries, jails and other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of crime; or 3. Members of the armed forces or national guard while performing their official duty; or 4. Those persons vested by Mo. Const. Art. V with the judicial power of the state those persons vested by article III of the Constitution of the United States with the judicial power of the United States, the members of the federal judiciary; or 5. Any person whose bona fide duty is to execute process, civil or criminal or 6. Any federal probation officer; or 7. Any state probation or parole officer, including supervisors and members of the Board of Probation and Parole; or 8. Any corporate security advisor meeting the definition and fulfilling the requirements of the regulations established by the board of police commissioners under 84.340, RSMo; and 9. Any coroner, deputy coroner, medical examiner, or assistant medical examiner.

Richieg150

imported post

Dont expect to get any reliable information on the phone by calling tha LSPD.They are way to busy doing what cops do,to bother reading or looking up the actual laws and city ordinances they are supposed to be enforceing.You can open carry in LSMO,without a CCW,period,that includes Quicktrip...From my experiences with LSLEO's,they believe in circular reasoning,they tend to believe what each other tells them without bothering to verify the truth.There are a few that ACTUALLY know you can open carry,but dont expect them to share that info.Dont be intimidated,its your right to not be a victim,and to be able to defend yourself.The next time you open carry and are detained,stand your ground,you know the law and your rights....some of the LEO's,think they make or are above the laws on the books,ask for a supervisior and an official complaint form.A LEO asking for ID on a person Open Carrying............doesnt bother me too much,I know that that in its self is wrong,because Im not breaking any laws.But,I figure they can run it and see I'm not a felon................but when they start grilling me on why,and its against the law for me to Open Carry.............that when it starts to get interesting.

warlocke

imported post

Richieg150 wrote:
Dont expect to get any reliable information on the phone by calling tha LSPD.They are way to busy doing what cops do,to bother reading or looking up the actual laws and city ordinances they are supposed to be enforceing.You can open carry in LSMO,without a CCW,period,that includes Quicktrip...From my experiences with LSLEO's,they believe in circular reasoning,they tend to believe what each other tells them without bothering to verify the truth.There are a few that ACTUALLY know you can open carry,but dont expect them to share that info.Dont be intimidated,its your right to not be a victim,and to be able to defend yourself.The next time you open carry and are detained,stand your ground,you know the law and your rights....some of the LEO's,think they make or are above the laws on the books,ask for a supervisior and an official complaint form.A LEO asking for ID on a person Open Carrying............doesnt bother me too much,I know that that in its self is wrong,because Im not breaking any laws.But,I figure they can run it and see I'm not a felon................but when they start grilling me on why,and its against the law for me to Open Carry.............that when it starts to get interesting.
ya the lady at the front desk when i walked in there said straight up that ls has no laws against it but its recommended you dont for fear of scarring people.

since you oc in ls, what do you carry on you speciffically paper wise, because right now i have the 5 pages that i printed out on the weapons ordiances.

granted i have not ocd yet, but first time will be to my parents probally sat after work.