• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bracken Range, San Antonio

thx997303

imported post

So, has anyone else been there? I went there today and was appalled. I did not think that it was a safe setup at all. Just my opinion of course.

Also, I found the No Assault Pistols sign hilarious.

jdv

imported post

bracken range is not a place to go if your safety conscious. you saw that first hand. Its a do whatever ya feel like range. i have never seen anyone take charge of that range, or monitor whats going on.

i go up north by the lake to Dietz. It's better but still some whacko's shoot there as well. Ie... your at the 7, and they fire from behind ya at the 15. then when ya give them the 101 on safety... they say "yeah, but im shooting at that target". idiots.

can't wait till i get my own ranch.

thx997303

imported post

My buddy and I were there a total of five minutes before we decided that it wasn't worth it to go shooting on that particular range that particular day, so we went to A place to shoot, and found it quite a bit safer, while a little in disrepair. Would rather have to screw with a broken target holder than risk life and limb.

yodaddy78

imported post

The whole "no assault pistols" is a bunch of BS! I have a gsg5 22cal, I asked them if I could shoot it, after examination they gave the xxx answer of NO! The xxxness didnt stop there! I have been going to that range for years. Their customer service is on a steady decline. Every time I go there it seems like the customers are only an inconvenience. They truly take the fun out of shooting at that range. If you plan on going there, be prepared for disappointment. For me, enough is enough; they are a bunch of douche bags!

kweeks10045

imported post

I have been there a few times and quit going. Do yourself a favor and go to Dietz Range off Hwy 46 near New Braunfels. The owners of Bracken are a joke.

jboss10

imported post

I'll tell you a range that's a joke for safety is Cedar Ridge off 1863. They give you a little quiz and then set you free. Anyone is the firing range dept dog as long as you say seize fire...that's a joke and the owner is very grumpy!! and they have a little beater that run's around smoking up the whole gun range when putting up new targets. Where is a good range in SA cause CR is NOT!!

jsimmons

imported post

I've been to Bracken, and the rifle range is pretty nice (if not in a little disrepair as far as spotting scopes and rests are concerned) and you can even shot offhand if that's what you want to do. Most of the people shooting on the rifle line are bench shooters, but I personally refer offhand.

The pistol range was changed last year in a bad way. It seems that some folks couldn't control their pistols and were managing to shoot OVER the burms behind the target. Instead of increasing the weight of the burms, they LOWERED the roof line in front of the shooters.

If you're any taller the 5'6", you won't be able to use the 3-7 yard firing positions because the roof line drops down too far and blocks your ability to find the target.

I've never had a safety problem there, other than the fact that they allow too many non-shooters on the pistol line. I'm not very comfortable with that.

Price is a little high if you want to shoot more than one gun, but other than that, I prefer Bracken to all of the other ranges I've been to in the area.

jboss10

imported post

jsimmons wrote:
I've been to Bracken, and the rifle range is pretty nice (if not in a little disrepair as far as spotting scopes and rests are concerned) and you can even shot offhand if that's what you want to do. Most of the people shooting on the rifle line are bench shooters, but I personally refer offhand.

The pistol range was changed last year in a bad way. It seems that some folks couldn't control their pistols and were managing to shoot OVER the burms behind the target. Instead of increasing the weight of the burms, they LOWERED the roof line in front of the shooters.

If you're any taller the 5'6", you won't be able to use the 3-7 yard firing positions because the roof line drops down too far and blocks your ability to find the target.

I've never had a safety problem there, other than the fact that they allow too many non-shooters on the pistol line. I'm not very comfortable with that.

Price is a little high if you want to shoot more than one gun, but other than that, I prefer Bracken to all of the other ranges I've been to in the area.

I was just at Bracken yesterday. I agree with the short yardage handgun range roofline being difficult to shoot under. I was able to still shoot and I'm 5' 9". I shot my Smith & Wesson 500 there twice and the third time they told me I couldn't shoot it any more due to the loudness. I asked if I could shoot it on the rifle range and the answer was still no. So I shot my AR-15. The range is fine in my opinion. I still HATE CEDAR RIDGE. JOKE!!!!!, but I can probably shoot my Smith out there.

jsimmons

imported post

jboss10 wrote:
I was just at Bracken yesterday. I agree with the short yardage handgun range roofline being difficult to shoot under. I was able to still shoot and I'm 5' 9". I shot my Smith & Wesson 500 there twice and the third time they told me I couldn't shoot it any more due to the loudness. I asked if I could shoot it on the rifle range and the answer was still no. So I shot my AR-15. The range is fine in my opinion. I still HATE CEDAR RIDGE. JOKE!!!!!, but I can probably shoot my Smith out there.[/quote]

"Too loud"? WTF? Next thing you know, they won't allow you to shoot nickle-plated pistols because they're too shiny...

There was some old guy that used to show up- every saturday and they let him shoot his wheel gun on the rifle line - it sounded like a canon, and it had interchangable barrel and cylinder that let him go all the way down to .22

Duckhunter

Bracken is rude!!!

I am an avid shooter here in San Antonio and had not been to Bracken Range in about 3 years. I thought it was horrible! The fat guy (range master) and the older lady were very rude! I had a difficult time concentrating becuase the enviroment is not very safe and this range is where all the "non-shooters'' go. I will never go back again!! I highly recommend Cedar Ridge Range on 1863, its the best and very safe. Thanks.

jlb27537

If you are looking for a gun friendly gun range in the San Antonio area, drive out to Bandera. 30 miles NW on 16. JM, the owner is a gun person. They have everything you will need. They have a Mac10 and a Uzi you can rent. They are "assault gun friendly"

CHL classes monthly.

IDPA second Saturday monthly.

Plus trap and skeet ranges.

http://banderagunclub.com/

Jim
Bandera Gun Club Life Member
Texas CHL
NRA

Grantard

Bracken Range Sucks!

I have been there a few times and have been met with unjustified attitude from the range master. (tall guy with gray hair and gray beard)

--Moderator Statement--
Personal attack deleted -rule violation.

GrimeyGoose

Bandera Gun Club

If you are looking for a gun friendly gun range in the San Antonio area, drive out to Bandera. 30 miles NW on 16. JM, the owner is a gun person. They have everything you will need. They have a Mac10 and a Uzi you can rent. They are "assault gun friendly"

CHL classes monthly.

IDPA second Saturday monthly.

Plus trap and skeet ranges.

http://banderagunclub.com/

Jim
Bandera Gun Club Life Member
Texas CHL
NRA

I have to agree with Jim. Great place, JM is a great guy, knowledgeable as well as the staff that I have had contact with.

James
Bandera Gun Club Life Member, too