• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Owners of America Alert Supporting Open Carry for Texas!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Texas Open Carry Bill Stalled!

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
http://www.gunowners.org

Monday, February 16, 2009

Most states require no permit to carry a holstered handgun openly. Yet
incredibly, Texas is one of only 6 states to outright ban open carry!
Yes, that's right, law abiding Americans can "open carry"
without any
permit in Pittsburgh and Seattle, but not Dallas, Houston or West Texas.

Even the U.S. Supreme Court seemed to endorse open carry in the DC v.
Heller decision when it said that the right to "bear" arms means to
"carry" them. It doesn't take a law degree to figure out that open
carry is constitutionally protected and that Americans don't need no
stinkin' permit to carry openly.

Over 54,000 Texans have signed an online petition at
http://www.petitiononline.com/texasoc/petition.html to decriminalize
open carry and, for some weeks now, Texas legislators meeting in Austin
have been waiting to receive a final draft of a bill from legislative
services to effect this change.

But now that the bill is drafted, some legislators seem to have gone
wobbly on introducing the bill. Some are concerned that open carry is
too controversial and may harm the chance of passage for other pro-gun
bills. If anything, the reverse is true. The more the merrier. Many
pro-Second Amendment bills help to show legislators that their voters
want to see freedom expanded in this area.

Self-imposed bill rationing makes no more sense than gun sale rationing.
The anti-gun forces don't play this way, so why should we?

The Texas legislature only meets once every two years, and there's no
reason to put off this open carry reform in Texas any longer.

ACTION: Please urge your state representative and senator to introduce
the Texas open carry bill.

You can use the pre-written letter below to help direct your comments to
your state representative and senator. To quickly identify your
*state* representative and senator -- and click on their websites to
send each a webform email message -- go to:

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

----- Pre-written letter -----

SUBJECT: Please introduce an open carry bill this session!

Dear Representative/Senator: [remember to use correct title for each]

Why does Texas still criminalize the open carry of holstered handguns?
There is no reason why Texans cannot carry openly when folks in
Pittsburgh and Seattle open carry at will, no permit required.

Representative Riddle already has one version of an open carry bill
drafted, and there may be other drafts on file with legislative
services.

I urge you to reject efforts to keep open gun carry in the closet in
Texas. Just as more freedom is good, more pro-gun bills are good too.
Its nonsense to think that open carry is so controversial that it will
KILL other less controversial bills like some sort of high tech smart
bomb.

Representative Riddle's bill draft is reportedly applicable only to
Concealed Handgun License holders. While I agree that Concealed Handgun
License holders should be able to open carry, I believe that all gun
owners should have the right to freely bear arms, no permit required, as
implied by the US Supreme Court in the recent DC v. Heller decision.

Besides, millions of Texans own handguns, yet only a few have Concealed
Handgun Licenses. And when a hurricane or other trouble comes, all
Texans deserve the right to open carry.

Over 54,000 Texans have signed an online petition at
http://www.petitiononline.com/texasoc/petition.html to decriminalize
open carry. There is no reason to put off this "open carry"
reform for
two more years. Please INTRODUCE a bill to decriminalize open carry for
all Texans this session.

Please act quickly and tell me what you are going to do.

Sincerely,

Please do not reply directly to this message, as your reply will
bounce back as undeliverable.

To subscribe to free, low-volume GOA alerts, go to
http://www.gunowners.org/ean.htm on the web. Change of e-mail
address may also be made at that location.

To unsubscribe send a message to
gunowners_list@capwiz.mailmanager.net with the word unsubscribe in
the subject line or use the url below.

Problems, questions or comments? The main GOA e-mail address
goamail@gunowners.org is at your disposal. Please do not add that
address to distribution lists sending more than ten messages per
week or lists associated with issues other than gun rights.

echo5sierra

imported post

When the NRA and TSRA issue the same endorsement, I will be impressed.

That being said, thanks to the GOA for their courage!!

Tex

imported post

Who do we need to contact and how do we get there? This is getting re-Goddamn diculous. Just how much of a push do these people need, I mean this is already a right, just acknowledge it for pete's sake

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Mike wrote:
uncle jed wrote:
maybe now that goa stepped in . nra and tsra will ante up and keep the ball rolling
Uhhhh, the TSRA support open carry?

No, they probably won't change their position for reasons that have been documented here (and on TexasCHLForum.com) before.

As a member of both forums, I have been advocating working together. In this case, the best that open carry supporters can hope for is to keep the NRA and TSRA from actively opposing our efforts. They are nearly to that point now. Don't be mislead: we need their help (whether that is in the form of actual assistance or neutrality) if we want to see open carry in Texas pass. Why? Read on.

TSRA has built credibility with key legislators. They have been working every session to improve the CHL situation and the current session is no exception. For this, we should thank them and help where we can. After all, whether open carry passes or not, improvements to concealed carry are still wins for 2A supporters. These members trust TSRA and their input carries weight. Like it or not, they have connections at the Legislature and we'd need those members if we hope to pass open carry.

The Texas Senate requires a super majority to advance legislation. It takes 2/3s of the membership. Yep, that's right, 2/3s. If senators who work with TSRA and are generally supportive of gun issues do NOT support open carry because TSRA is quietly opposing it, we have no chance to get the bill through this body. Let me say this again: we need every pro-gun senator, both Republican and Democrat, to be on-board or we will surely fail. Thus Sen. Wentworth and Hinajosa, just to name a few, shouldn't be criticized for a failure to support open carry but instead should be coaxed around to our point of view. ;) Insults and/or threats will get us no where. Open carry is controversial. The ONLY way to pass it is by gently pursuading the members that the idea isn't radical and crazy. Hot rhetoric and a seeming lack of perspective regarding our pro-2A friends will only work against us as we DO look radical and crazy.

I'm glad to see GOA come out in support of open carry. It matters. Sadly, however, it doesn't matter nearly as much as TSRA's position. We need to stop acting like we can do this alone. We can't. Tactically, it just isn't going to happen until we get pro-2A legislators on our side and that won't happen without help. The more we assist with campus carry and parking lot carry, the more we are in a postion to partner with TSRA and their friendly legislators later in the session or in the future.

As my status indicates, I've put my money where my mouth is for open carry this session. I want it to pass as badly as anyone here. :exclaim: It is for this reason that I suggest that we not be hostile to the TSRA but instead work with them as best we can. In my opinion, this is the course of action that gives us the best chance. If it doesn't make it this session, it also paves the way for next time. You can also be sure that I am advocating FOR open carry with representatives of the TSRA. I'm doing everything that I can to advocate our position in a responsible way.

SA-TX

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

sa-tx, i've seen your posts on txchlforum and commend you on your diplomatic tones and repertoire you've established on that board. That being said, however, i have to agree that you are completely right in that without the help of the TSRA, our bill goes nowhere if it even gets introduced.

I long ago speculated that our major issue would be avoiding active opposition from TSRA and it seems that that fear is founded now. we can approach this one of three ways after this session.

1) we can actively recruit an enormous amount of people throughout the state of TX in every district, enough to the point where we actually place the jobs of those representatives in jeopardy

2) we can replace those legislators and senators anyway, most likely with people that agree with OC, like ourselves.

3) we can all join TSRA and demand open carry be worked on for next session.

If #3 is our considered option, understand that unlicensed open carry will NEVER, and I stress the word NEVER, ever reach the floor. It is too controversial for the likes of most big city legislators and elitist political players to even be considered.

Texas is not the Texas of old anymore.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

GOA message above now listed in full. Let;'s role - spread the word to friends and family and call your sen and rep again - GOA supports OC - so should you!

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
sa-tx, i've seen your posts on txchlforum and commend you on your diplomatic tones and repertoire you've established on that board. That being said, however, i have to agree that you are completely right in that without the help of the TSRA, our bill goes nowhere if it even gets introduced.

I long ago speculated that our major issue would be avoiding active opposition from TSRA and it seems that that fear is founded now. we can approach this one of three ways after this session.

1) we can actively recruit an enormous amount of people throughout the state of TX in every district, enough to the point where we actually place the jobs of those representatives in jeopardy

2) we can replace those legislators and senators anyway, most likely with people that agree with OC, like ourselves.

3) we can all join TSRA and demand open carry be worked on for next session.

If #3 is our considered option, understand that unlicensed open carry will NEVER, and I stress the word NEVER, ever reach the floor. It is too controversial for the likes of most big city legislators and elitist political players to even be considered.

Texas is not the Texas of old anymore.

DK,

I doubt 1) will happen during this legislative session. We've done a great job with the petition and getting Governor Perry, Land Commissioner Patterson, and others on the record. Our advertising campaign accomplished its purpose. Time to declare victory there and move on to the mechanics of getting a bill passed.

2) We need to be realistic about this. Do we really want to replace solid pro-2A legislators because we differ with them on this issue? If my friends and I have a difference of opinion, I try to convince them, not fire them. Besides, open carry is a radical concept to more people than not. In this sense members are simply reacting to our society and culture that doesn't look upon an openly carried gun with favor any longer. Again, we need to convince them that this isn't radical instead of trying to punish them.

3) This is the smartest course, in my opinion. Cultivate relationships with members during this session. Work on campus carry, parking lot carry, and yes, open carry but always in a thoughful positive way. Honey vs. Vinegar. :lol:

To reiterate, I'm solidly in favor of open carry. I'm going to continue to work on it this session but we need to make friends with the right people if we want to be successful. There is no moral victory in NOT getting open carry and blaming TSRA or others for it. Together, we can succeed. :D

SA-TX

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

SA-TX, I hereby nominate you for the prestigious Voice of Reason award.

You have earned it.

Oh, and I'm pleased that GOA has stepped up to the plate. I'm a Life Member.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

We are now at 57,049 don't see what the problem is, why has the State Govt put this on ignore?? 57,049 may just equate to a lot of votes for someone under the right condition.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Well Mike, now its 57,125 and climbing-wonder if it would do us any good to get ahold of the NRA? They used to have a Legislative Branch ILA, I think. Just e-mailed the NRA (I'm a LIFE MEMBER) they can be located at http://www.nra.org. just incase someone else wants to give it a try especially an NRA member-the more the merrier! My membership only has 4 letters and 4 numbers! Been a Life Member for a long time. Hope it pays!

By the way Senate Bill 730 and House Bill 1301 filed this week-these are bills to legally carry legal firearm to work and leave them locked in vehicle at work.

kingmonkey

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's about time! The GOA coming out in support of this is really going to help our case. Now if we could just get the NRA to jump on board we'd really have something. I hope the NRA and TSRA will do something now that the GOA have come out in support of it. I don't understand why they can't just put out a press release saying they support it? I mean, that wont hurt the work they are doing for other things and it gives us a world of support.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is where we all e-mail NRA's Insitute for Legislative Affairs (NRA-ILA) and ask them to support OC in Texas. Those who are NRA members, anyway.

We must have 10K members here on OCDO. Such a campaign would have to be noticed, no?

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

Citizen wrote:
This is where we all e-mail NRA's Insitute for Legislative Affairs (NRA-ILA) and ask them to support OC in Texas. Those who are NRA members, anyway.

We must have 10K members here on OCDO. Such a campaign would have to be noticed, no?

Done:

"I am a Life Member, Certified Instructor and Range Safety Officer.

What is the NRA doing to push for Open Carry, particularly in Texas? Over 57,000 Texas citizens have signed a petition indicating that they support this.

Gun Owners of America has already come out in support of this, where is the NRA on this issue?

I expect the NRA to get behind the national Open Carry movement.

Thank you very much,"