• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Owners of America Alert Supporting Open Carry for Texas!

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

Here's the reply I received:

To: "XXXXXXXXX" <XXXXXXXXXXX>
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:32:16 PM
Subject: Open Carry

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting NRA-ILA. NRA takes the following position on Open-Carry: NRA supports the right of law-abiding persons to carry a firearm for all lawful purposes in the manner of their choosing, consistent with existing laws.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Krista Cupp
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Sounds like Krista Cupp didn't have any knowledge about the subject! I would say if all of the NRA members remind them, then someone will break down and try too find out about us!!

Might also want to mention the 57,409 people that have already signed this petition-sometimes numbers will say more than words!

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Also a "MUST READ" is http://www.opencongress.org need to find out about HR 45 and how it will affect us all! If you register then you can cast a vote!

This "ACT" is labeled as BLAIR HOLT LICENSING AND RECORD OF SALE ACT OF 2009!

cowman

imported post

Yeah I think at this time it don't matter how many signatures we do get.. as long

as Rep. Riddle does not present this Open Carry bill, it isn't going to go anywhere

right now. At least not for this yrs. session. This is coming from her Cheif of Staff.

He sounds pretty promising about this.. they mention that there are bigger and more

important Bills that need to be passed. And Open Carry is just not on her to do list,

(Not a priority.) Kindda sad.. Oh well at least I'll know where my vote for next time will be going. IT was a good run though while it lasted.:cry:

cowman

imported post

Yeah Rick, Ummm I don't think it matters according to one of the blogs on here.. Rep. Riddle doesnt' seem to care to much about signatures.. even though mine is on the petition. Our first step starts with her.. and from what I read she is not to enthused about presenting this open carry bill.

JB743

imported post

I contacted Rep.Riddles office today and the responce i recieved was that she was no longer going to file the oc bill because of more important 2nd amendment issues and after they found out i wasn't a constituent of hers they asked me for my phone number and thanked me for calling...I'm going to contact others and will post there answers as i recieve them.

cowman

imported post

I told you so... that is sad though. It all starts with Riddle.(Period)

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

It won't end with Riddle, though. So sad but to have a winner there must be losers! Whose is this Chief of Staff-thought that she was to work for the PEOPLE? Guess we need to ruin an add and hire someone else!

cowman

imported post

Yeah I thought she was too. I guess this cheif of staff guy is someone who is running her staff members I guess. If it isn't going to stop with her, then who is going to introduce this bill? Like I said I know who I will be voting for next go round.

pstramer

imported post

In Montana in 1991 the legislature passed some really good gun laws, probably the best in the nation if not the world. That was after a knock down drag out fight in the committees where the people opposing the measures largely were dressed in some kind of a uniform and were wearing a badge of one department or another.

Their opposition was very hysterical. They said things like, "There will be a blood bath in the streets, and public safety will be threatened, and police and sheriffs deputies will not be safe, etc. ad infinitum.

Well none of that happened, and we got the right to carry concealed WITHOUT A PERMIT in over 99.4 percent of Montana. Only within the "official boundaries" of a city or town is concealed carry not allowed without the permit. Even in town we can carry out in the open without any permit.

Now we are trying to pass a self defense bill that would give everyone the right to carry concealed even in town without a permit, and guess what. The opposition still has a badge and a uniform, and the legislature isn't buying their scare tactics any more than they did last time.

So I don't see what the big problem is in Texas, unless it's purely political bull, and there is money involved. Somebody please enlighten me on that score.

I hope the legislators in Texas have the wisdom to pass the open carry law, and increase the safety in your state. Criminals will always have guns because they are criminals. They might be a little less dangerious if they know all the law abiding citizens are armed to the teeth. Public safety will be increased, and so will personal safety.

Tex

imported post

Amen brother, the cold war worked for 50 years, based on the knowledge that the opposition was armed to the teeth. Why don't lawmakers grasp that that would work every day on a more personal scale? I was part of one of the units that disbanded with the SALT II talks at the end of the 80's, one of the signs on the back the last EL's (erector/ launchers) to leave said "We gave peace a chance!". Well we have too, and guess what, not only are we not safer, but we stand an even bigger chance of being mugged, killed, or for the fairer sex, to be raped, then we ever did in the "Wild West"

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not giving up-not that easy. Sometimes "PERSISTANCE" is needed to win the day!

Tex

imported post

PersiSTANCE, resiSTANCE, all I know is Tex'sSTANCE is feet shoulder width apart, left foot slightly forward.

Saltydog

imported post

Wonder what it would take to have some of them legislators in Montana to come down and chat with the folks in Austin??:question:

Tex

imported post

So when does it go from"asking for our rights" to demanding them. Unlike michelle obama, who just got proud of her country, I am, for the first time in my life, disappointed and embarrassed to live in Texas where the members of our House don't think enough of it's citizens to treat them as equals. I saw the video of Rep. Riddle saying that the legislators carry even in places where common folk aren't allowed to "because the officers know us". Where in the Constitution does it say you have to be on a first name basis with a DPS officer to carry a gun?