• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walther PPS

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I am really leaning towards purchasing a Walther PPS, probably in .40 S&W. The owner of my local gun shop loves his, and stated he would carry it daily if Galco would get off their butts and make a decent holster for it. He obviously loves it, but so far he's the only person I've met that owns one. I'm sure there are plenty of Walther fan-boy websites out there, but I trust the opinions of those on this website much more than I would theirs.

So, who owns one, or at least has shot one, and can give me some feedback?

buster81

imported post

I've got one and love it. Mine is a 9mm, and I have no problem at all with the recoil. I carry it whenever I'm CC'g. There are some things you MUST do to break it in correctly. The details are in this thread:

http://ppstalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=799

After you follow DMARS instructions, clean, lube and rack the slide a couple hundred times. I've got about 400 rounds through mine and haven't had a single FTE or FTF.

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

My friend bought one in 9mm. I like it overall. It's had about 200 rounds put through it so far with no issues whatsoever. Recoil is manageable even with the 6-round mag and the dang thing is skinny!

Just curious, why leave the backstrap in when cleaning? Removing it is part of the disassembly process.

buster81

imported post

It is skinny! I can CC IWB without even knowing it's there.

You leave the backstrap on because taking it off does nothing. If you've properly cleared your gun, you can dissasemble with the backstrap on. Having said that, what remove a "plastic" piece repeatedly and risk fatigueing the material and damaging it. I am currently looking at ways to make the backstrap a permanent part of the pistol. The gun won't fire without it, so it's pretty important.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

buster81 wrote:

You leave the backstrap on because taking it off does nothing. If you've properly cleared your gun, you can dissasemble with the backstrap on. Having said that, what remove a "plastic" piece repeatedly and risk fatigueing the material and damaging it. I am currently looking at ways to make the backstrap a permanent part of the pistol. The gun won't fire without it, so it's pretty important.

I can understand leaving it there under normal circumstances. The less parts move, the better. I do, however, don't mind that there is a way to disable the firearm if I so choose. It's not like it can be done quickly by your opponent, and being that it is half the grip of the firearm, you wouldn't pick it up not realizing that it was disabled (compared to the key locks that the Taurus's have).

Anyway, I currently carry a full-sized S&W SW99 .40 and/or a Kel-Tec P3AT most of the time. The P3AT is great for concealment, but it's small size and smaller caliber make it less than optimal as a primary carry. My SW99 is a great gun, comfortable to shoot, and more accurate than I am. It's near impossible to conceal comfortably, though, and there's NO way I can carry it IWB w/o bruises.

I'm hoping the PPS will fill that gap between those two, giving me a easily concealable handgun, yet powerful and accurate enough to be carried as a primary. From what you guys are saying, it sounds like it will do just that.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

buster81 wrote:

That's odd... my friend couldn't get the slide off so he gave it to me to try and I couldn't get it off either. So I looked at the manual and it said to remove the backstrap, so I did that, and the slide came right off.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't own one or know about the different models. Is PPS the same as PPK/S? There is a recall.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=62303&sectionId=10506

buster81

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
buster81 wrote:

That's odd... my friend couldn't get the slide off so he gave it to me to try and I couldn't get it off either. So I looked at the manual and it said to remove the backstrap, so I did that, and the slide came right off.

When you were trying to strip it, did you dry fire it while working the take down lever? You have to pull the trigger like on a Glock.

Removing the backstrap decocks the gun so you can release the slide.I know how to properly clear my guns, so I don't use this feature.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

buster81 wrote:

Different names denote different guns? Wow, that's a new one :p.

Thanks for that reference anyway, though. I own a PPK/s as well, and I'm about to check if it needs to be sent in.

glenn36

imported post

I just bought my PPS 9mm yesterday. I have not yet had a chance to take it to the range. In looking at the PPS forum I am going to do those steps before I do. I have a fobus holster ordered (actualy back ordered). Right now I am trying to find a good IWB holster for it....no one in my area seems to carry them>

ballester

imported post

would love one in 9mm....with all the different mag lengths..i loved handling that little gun...fired one once..reminded me of the pf9 by kel-tec...got a nice snappy recoil...coulda been the 147grain i was firing...:dude:...only thing keeping me from buying one..well besides being poor..:(..is i can get another h&k for the same money....but the wonderful pps is an awesome consideration for a CC piece...one day..or a hundered scratch tickets later...i hope to own a walther pps...or a p99 for that matter....anyone that buys this pistol i dont think will be dissapointed...IMHO..as for the IWB holster...

Glenn36...try an uncle mikes or blackhawk iwb ....size 10 i think for pps...your only out 10-13 bucks and ive had the same uncle mikes size 15 for my p2000..the holster has gone through a g17, hk USPc 45, sw4006, and now my p2000 over a course of 2 years...and its just now showing it might be time to replace..got a few wear marks......best 10 bucks i spent

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well I just took mine home tonight! Unfortunately they come with only one magazine now :(. None the less it's an amazing firearm. I don't know why people bother to carry this thing IWB, since even in a OWB holster it disappears under an untucked t-shirt lol.

Anyway now I'm looking for a decent cross draw holster for her. Fobus makes their roto holster for the PPS, but the extra material that the roto system puts between the belt and holster kinda defeat the purpose of the slim design. I wish Galco would figure their crap out and start putting out belt holster for it.

glenn36

imported post

I have to agree that this is an great gun. The only downside is now my wife has really taken to it. So at this point it is pretty much her gun. I guess I am on the look out for another one.

As far as holsters I finally got the roto-fubus. The fit is great but, as someone already stated all the extra crap in there to make it rotate makes it stick out farther than I like. I am going to try to find just a standard fobus for it. I did buy the uncle mike's IWB holster and it works just fine. When I have in the IWB in the small of my back I forgett it's there.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

glenn36 wrote:
I have to agree that this is an great gun. The only downside is now my wife has really taken to it. So at this point it is pretty much her gun. I guess I am on the look out for another one.

As far as holsters I finally got the roto-fubus. The fit is great but, as someone already stated all the extra crap in there to make it rotate makes it stick out farther than I like. I am going to try to find just a standard fobus for it. I did buy the uncle mike's IWB holster and it works just fine. When I have in the IWB in the small of my back I forgett it's there.

I've ordered a leather cross draw holster from a custom holster manufacturer. I wont mention their name yet until I can verify that they make a good holster lol. I like the idea of the fobus roto, but from what I've heard the whole system is over 3 inches thick, which completely negates the benefit of having a handgun that's only an inch thick.

Anyway I just got back from putting another 200 rounds down range with her. She functioned 99.5% flawlessly, with 1 failure to eject. I was shooting light rounds at the time, so I'm assuming that was the problem. The only other issue that weapon has is biting the heck out of my hand lol.

glenn36

imported post

Dre,

Let me know how you like the cross draw holster also, who makes once you verify quality. Like I said I may not be carrying this one much longer as my wife loves it.

Mordis

imported post

I looked at one, but dont understand the magazine release. Does its placement on the trigger guard like it is, hinder the speed of using it compared to a traditional type?

buster81

imported post

Mordis wrote:
I looked at one, but dont understand the magazine release. Does its placement on the trigger guard like it is, hinder the speed of using it compared to a traditional type?
It doesn't for me. It's similar to other Walther guns, as well as H&Kmoldels. It's actuall pretty good, and vertually impossible to accidently drop a mag while drawing from deep cover. You do need to pactice, but I can do a reload just as quickly as with the typical release.

glenn36

imported post

scottg wrote:
I have my local gun shop looking for me. I put my order in for the 40 cal PPS. I don't know when they find one, but I will wait.

Scott have your gun shop call Tom's gun shop in Rome GA. Tom has two in stock right now (I was there today) on in 40mm and one in 9mm. I think he has them at $629.00

his ph# is 706-235-7927