• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petition to repeal carrying in alcohol establishments

partemisio

imported post

I can probably get my Chief Of Police to sign it when it is done since I am friends with him and he is VERY pro 2nd amendment. He can get some of his officers(maybe all) to sign it also.

Godscreation

imported post

OK, things seem to be going smoothly. If nobody voices any amazing opinions about the statement by the end of the day, then I will submit the petition as it has been written.

In order to make a thread a "sticky" thread, do you have to PM the Super Moderators? Or is it something we can do? That way we can have the link to the petition always on top and we won't have to go digging because it got buried under other threads.

Godscreation

imported post

I reworded point 6 which originally said:
Criminals are not deterred by laws such as these and will carry firearms in these places anyway, leaving honest citizens disarmed and helpless.

Now it says:
Criminals are not deterred by laws such as these and will still carry firearms in places where an admission fee is charged and where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed, leaving honest citizens disarmed and helpless.

xdfan

imported post

Godscreation, first, let me thank you for taking this step. The restaurant ban in particular (I'll say it politely here) has to be one of the least sensible provisions of NC firearms law.

Point six reworded is okay. I'm not sure it helps that much though, as you've already made your point in the statement of the original statute.

Here's a suggestion on alternate wording for 4. What got me thinking about it is your wording that some states *allow* carry in restaurants. In most cases it's that they do not *prevent*, i.e. the law does not forbid it - and such is also better in reminding the reader the RKBA is a right and not a privilege. For example:

"Numerous other states do not forbid people from otherwise carrying in circumstances such as these, with no measurable increase in violent or gun-related crime. On the contrary: in some cases, a lawfully carried weapon has saved lives."

Godscreation

imported post

Final Draft: Last chance to voice a change in it. Special thanks to XDfan for the suggestions.

TO: North Carolina State Legislature and Governor Bev Purdue:

Statute 14-269.3a:

Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

We hold that all citizens who may lawfully purchase and carry a firearm should be allowed to carry in places that statute 14-269.3a prohibits.
  1. 1.Every individual has the right and responsibility to defend their self against unjustified threats of death or serious bodily injury.

2.The Constitution of the United States guarantees the right for an individual to keep and bear arms. The US Supreme Court affirmed this last year in the case DC vs. Heller.

3.The Constitution of North Carolina also guarantees the right to keep and bear arms for defense.

4.Many people who attend these establishments do not drink or consume alcohol, but are still barred from lawfully carrying their firearms into these establishments.

5.Leaving a firearm in the car is more hazardous because of vehicle theft. The gun is much safer in possession of the legal owner.

6.Criminals are not deterred by laws such as these and will still carry firearms in places where an admission fee is charged and where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed, leaving honest citizens disarmed and helpless.

7.Forty (40) other states do not forbid people from carrying firearms in establishments such as these, with no measurable increase in violent or gun-related crime.In some cases, a lawfully carried weapon has saved lives.

8.In these States the carrying of firearms in these establishments is common and it does not alarm law enforcement or other citizens.
For the foregoing reasons, we the people of North Carolina hold that all citizens who may lawfully purchase and carry a handgun should be allowed to carry in places that statute 14-269.3a prohibits.

kdcyyz

imported post

2 extra spaces on #2 just before "keep and bear arms". Other than that, it's all good.

As for the law to replace this one, I would suggest looking at the laws in some of those 40 other states on how to write a piece of legislation that would actually work, but I'm probably stating the obvious there.

xdfan

imported post

Looks pretty good! Feel free to use any to none of the below.

How about going for broke on the last sentence and ask for what we really want: the statute gone?

"For the foregoing reasons, we the people of North Carolina request that statute 14-269.3a be stricken."

This could be added too: ", restoring the rights of persons who in other circumstances may lawfully carry a handgun."

I also subbed "persons" rather than "citizens" above, because others beside citizens might be able to lawfully carry such as foreigners here legally. It's late though and my memory of NC state law on this point is foggy at the moment.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

The petition looks great (aside from the two extra spaces).
Also, I do like the idea of suggesting the statute be "stricken". That is an excellent way of wording it.

Is this going to be signed by a number of people?

Surely there is some way we can arrange for this petition to be signed by anyone who wishes to. This could be done via fax, or possibly electronically. The more signatures it has, the more appealing it looks to legislators.

Right?

Godscreation

imported post

Okay last step:
We need a title for the petition. According to the petition site, the word "petition" will automatically be at the end of the title. For example, South Carolina has a petition to restore open carry to the state (have you signed it yet?) The petition is called "Open Carry of Handguns in South Carolina" which comes out to be "Open Carry of Handguns in South Carolina Petition".

Any ideas?
Carrying firearms in establishments where statute 14-269.3a prohibits (petition).

Try to come up with something that's not too long, doesn't sound too right wingish, but sums up what we want.

Tomorrow is the last day for suggestions. When I get off work and get home at 8:45pm, I will submit the petition on the internet for signing.

Did we have a moderator who said he/she was going to sticky this?

Johnston-Wake COPTF

imported post

QUICK NOTE. I made phone calls to three U.S. Congressmen/women and have the exact format needed to submit the petition. They have informed me that if the guideline is not followed 100% it will be thrown out!

I am working on it today and will have it posted to my site by the end of business day. Just a suggestion, but DO NOT submit a petition unless it meets all the guidelines (which are not listed on any commercial website).

Godscreation

imported post

Johnston,
I'm submitting the petition via petition.com, the same site that all the states that want open carry are using. Legislators from those states are fine with it, and the media constantly makes references to that petition site. It's this site right here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/

This is a great site with lots of petitions (including the open carry petitions like South Carolina OC petition [have you signed it yet? just search for it on the site]).

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Johnston-Wake COPTF wrote:
QUICK NOTE. I made phone calls to three U.S. Congressmen/women and have the exact format needed to submit the petition. They have informed me that if the guideline is not followed 100% it will be thrown out!

I am working on it today and will have it posted to my site by the end of business day. Just a suggestion, but DO NOT submit a petition unless it meets all the guidelines (which are not listed on any commercial website).
I actually received this same information from a few sources as well. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

chiefjason

imported post

I would venture to guess that most of the politicians seeing this won't be so "up" on firearms laws. Do we need to inform them in this petition that it is already illegal to consume alcohol and carry, at least in the CC provisions? That's my only question. I could see somebody going off about drunks with guns because they have no idea what the law says.

Also on #8 you may want to a make it say "In the above states..." to clarify that you are reffereing to #7. Don't want to make it too hard on the elected. Take it or leave it. Good stuff on the rest of it though.