Thread: open carry on white river

Post imported post

Hey me and a couple of buddies are going on a trip in april to fly fish we were thinking about carrying our guns with us i have a uberti .45 single action revolver as does my friend we are going to the white river in arkansas the chatooga in georgia and some place in louisiana. any body know any thing about open carrying in any of these

Post imported post

As far as I know, Arkansas is not an "open carry" state. There may be some instances where you can open carry if you are hunting, but I don't believe you will find that while fishing.

Post imported post

You will be able to open carry on Arkansas highways until you get to White River, but you must store the firearms after you arrive. Arkansas has a "journey" law which allows you to legally carry a firearm in the open until you reach your destination.

That being said, the Whiter River area is very friendly to firearms. However, who knows how a LEO will treat you if he catches you "illegally" carrying a firearm.

Arkansas does have a Concealed Carry law, and reciprocates with many states.

Go to www.ArkansasCarry.com for more info.

Post imported post

If you are a CCW holder, the proper solution is to use an outside holster (or shoulder holster) and a big floppy shirt for concealment.

Determine the local, G&F, SP, NP, etc rules for the area you are in.

In areas that snakes might drop off a tree into your boat, be advised that snake shot ricochets off the bottom of the boat, and hurts like heck, so always wear wrap-around shooting glasses.

Post imported post

Gordon Shumway wrote:
    In areas that snakes might drop off a tree into your boat, be advised that snake shot ricochets off the bottom of the boat, and hurts like heck, so always wear wrap-around shooting glasses.
    Man! I haven't worried about moccasins dropping in for a bite since I lived in Florida in the 70s!

Most fishing stores sell frog gigs (looks like a trident mounted on a broom handle) which is a useful, less dangerous way of of dealing with snakes than a handgun. Not too cool if you're in an inflatable. Then again, neither is a gun...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.