Thread: going fishing wanting to oc

Post imported post

Hey me and a couple of buddies are going on a trip in april to fly fish we were thinking about carrying our guns with us i have a uberti .45 single action revolver as does my friend we are going to the white river in arkansas the chatooga in georgia and some place in louisiana. any body know any thing about open carrying in any of these

Post imported post

Summary
    Arkansas is not a traditional open carry state. They issue a concealed carry permit, so it is our understanding at this time that open carry is not allowed even with a permit.
    http://www.opencarry.org/ar.html

Post imported post

...Louisiana is, of course OC..but Fish and Wildlife may have something to say about guns in a boat and on the water...it'd be worth checking out...

it's been 20+ years...I called 'em...Enforcement said it's legal to have a handgun with you in the boat...even legal to shoot on the water...at a snake or something other than a game fish...he said if you're pulled over..just notify the officer there's a weapon on the boat...no problem....

Post imported post

sheepdog wrote:
    ...Louisiana is, of course OC..but Fish and Wildlife may have something to say about guns in a boat and on the water...it'd be worth checking out...

it's been 20+ years...I called 'em...Enforcement said it's legal to have a handgun with you in the boat...even legal to shoot on the water...at a snake or something other than a game fish...he said if you're pulled over..just notify the officer there's a weapon on the boat...no problem....
    No issue's with OC.ing ? while in/on a boat ?

Which branch did you call ?

Thanks

Post imported post

225-765-2800....she sent me to enforcement...the guy said that...I was surprised because my kin when I was in La. said they'd be busted for having a gun in the boat...I never bothered checking it...I asked him specifically could they carry a gun in a boat on the waters and could they shoot from the boat on the waters...he said the only problem was if you were shooting the fish...otherwise...OK...it may be written somewhere...but more likely it is that it is not forbidden anywhere...

Post imported post

sheepdog wrote:
    225-765-2800....she sent me to enforcement...the guy said that...I was surprised because my kin when I was in La. said they'd be busted for having a gun in the boat...I never bothered checking it...I asked him specifically could they carry a gun in a boat on the waters and could they shoot from the boat on the waters...he said the only problem was if you were shooting the fish...otherwise...OK...it may be written somewhere...but more likely it is that it is not forbidden anywhere...
    Ok, I was mainly referring to you saying "in" the boat, and not specifically refering to "ON the person", in the boat.

Post imported post

I told the officer that our friend was going to be open carrying in the beginning...and then specifically asked about in the boat and on the water...he's got the same OC rights in a boat on the water as he would on dry land...unless specifically forbidden by, say, Fish and Wildlife Regs...which would probably come up with the fishing license...now that doesn't say that he won't run in to Officer Oblivious or Deputy Dontknow....

Post imported post

hey just received this from a fish and game guy in louisiana.

Subject: Pistols in Boat
    To: ihunt5@yahoo.com
    Date: Monday, February 23, 2009, 6:54 AM

Yes you may carry or have a firearm in the boat with you while you are fishing, just if you are stopped and checked let the agent/officer know that there is a firearm in the boat if it is not visible. Let me know if you have any further questions. Len

Len Yokum

Captain/Region 7 Enforcement

Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries

(225) 765-2999

(225) 763-5429-Fax

lyokum@wlf.louisiana.gov

Post imported post

...hey, we got our own possumcop!!!! Thanks, Bud, for jumping in....and, no matter what they say, it wasn't me!!!Glad you're with us....

Post imported post

If you have a question call HQ in Baton Rouge. Get the name of whoever you speak to. The buck stops at the top.