• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

resident of pa visiting FL. question

spencer280

imported post

i have a L.T.C.F self defense permit and FL. does recolonize that. FL> and PA have a reciprocating law that allows me to carry in the state of FL. My question is , is that state a open carry state or do i have to conceal it when i go down there.

gzelmiami

imported post

Florida is not an open carry state.......yet.
If we can get Floridians to mobilize like Texans it might happen, but with our current White House admin. who knows?

gzelmiami

imported post

Fortunately, with a reciprocal permit you can ccw and you have the right to protect yourself and your family. Enjoy your visit and I wish you plenty of sunshine.

sandcast69

imported post

From what I've heard, in Florida 'concealed means concealed' meaning no printing.
Perhaps someone from Florida can elaborate as to how strict local PD is with this.

Good luck and enjoy!

sandcast69

starbuck

imported post

Florida definitely NOT open carry.

The statute governing CCW says "Concealed from plain and ordinary sight", and doesn't specifically address the issue of "printing". It's basically up to the officer's discretion. I'm not aware of any case law concerning the issue printing.

spencer280

imported post

that's cool i was just wondering. i guess the safest thing to do is when i travel down to FL there is only one state i cannot carry in and that is SC. the rest of the other states WV,V,NC,GA,FL all have a reciprocating agreement with pa for people that have obtained a L.T.C.F permit. is to just wear my shoulder hustler that way my guns under my arm pit and no one can see it. so if im in a state where it's CC only im good.

gzelmiami

imported post

That sounds to be the best bet for you. I carry with an owb Fobus holster and wear oversized shirts that are untucked. Unfortunately my big belly causes them to rise up when I reach up to get something or to close the trunk of my SUV,thus exposing my weapon.
I've notice that on many occasions that I have been exposing. I am constantly checking to see that that I dont flash. Fortunately nobody has noticed or called, I wouldn't know what to tell a L.E.O.

chazman321

imported post

So as a PA resident planning an August trip to FL, I should be good to go? Anything I should know about in reference to the Daytona Beach area? I have friends and family in Deltona and Orange City... Just wanna make sure there are no strange laws like Maryland and PRNJ, like 10 round mag limits and no hollowpoints... lol

-Chaz

glock4me

imported post

chazman321 wrote:
So as a PA resident planning an August trip to FL, I should be good to go? Anything I should know about in reference to the Daytona Beach area? I have friends and family in Deltona and Orange City... Just wanna make sure there are no strange laws like Maryland and PRNJ, like 10 round mag limits and no hollowpoints... lol

-Chaz

you cant carry

into any place of nuisance
any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
any detention facility, prison, or jail;
any courthouse; any courtroom;
any polling place;
any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
any school administration building;
any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises,
any elementary or secondary school facility;
any career center;
any college or university facility;
inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport;
any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

semperflyer729

imported post

Jus to clarrify on the last post, this is currently what the Floridastate staute says as far as carrying in a concelaed manner per F.S.S. 790.06 (12)

"...any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose...."

The entire statute can be found at http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC06.HTM&Title=->2008->Ch0790->Section%2006#0790.06

Some people will tell you if they serve alcohol you can't go into the establishment while carrying a concealed firearm. What this was mainly put into law for was so people couldn't go into a "bar" and carry, get drunk, and do something stupid with their firearm. However, any resteraunt that serves alcohol with your meal is still a place where you can cary concealed. Obviously you shouldn't be drinking and carrying as it can lead to other problems but if you are simply eating there then there is no reason you can't or shouldn't carry as far as I know. Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate any cases where it has been necessary for someone to use their firearm and did so, and what happened to them as a result. I hope this clears any confusion.

glock4me

imported post

semperflyer729 wrote:
Jus to clarrify on the last post, this is currently what the Floridastate staute says as far as carrying in a concelaed manner per F.S.S. 790.06 (12)

"...any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose...."
I think you can't sit at the bar portion of the establishment but you can sit anywhere else.

rvrctyrngr

imported post

Technically, you can't even walk through the 'bar' portion of the restaurant.

Other than that, carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol is perfectly fine.