• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Protecting your protection

DESERT ATILLA

imported post

It goes without saying that when we OC, we are carrying a serious responsiblity. There are a lot of discussionsabout protection from ignorance ofthe law, but I haven't seen much aboutprotection from BGencounters. I'm curious, what are your thoughts about weapon retention? Has anybody had any training? Are there any classes offered in the Vegas area? :lol:

imported post

It definitely takes a large amount of concentration and mental awareness to properly OC. Your primary tool for proper weapons retention is your state of mind. I would never OC if I was the type to walk around Condition White. While most BG's may be amateur (relatively), I wouldn't take the risk of a SERPA as my primary defense from being disarmed and taking one in the back.

As far as training...

Depending on your background, I would start with Frontsight. They cover weapons retention in the Empty Hand defense and Advance Tactical Handgun courses.

If you've had some training andcan find an availability, I would train withSuerez Internationalon this.

carracer

imported post

Serpa is a holster brand. My serpa is a retention holster that requires a button to be pushed to release the handgun. It would be extremely difficult to remove by someone. I almost would bet that in a struggle it would be nearly impossible.

775Sabot775

imported post

It would also be very difficult for you to tap that button in a High Adrenaline / Stress entanglement with a BG, retention holsters are bs just use good SA. And never let anyone get behind you to where you can't see their hands. The whole reason for the SERPA paddle holster is so you don't need to fumble with shit like a stupid button or thumb break to get your weapon free, and plus if you dont OC OR CC with one in the chamber thats even more time against you that the BG has to make your ass see stars.

jfrey123

imported post

I won't OC without a holster that has a retention strap. One, it looks just a hair more official, maybe helps with the perception from the Sheeple. Two, if you trip and fall without a retention system, your piece just went flying across the floor/parking lot/whatever, and some guns can be set off that way.

If a BG wants to grab your weapon, you've got the advantage. You'll feel them jerking at the strap and have enough time to put your hand on the grip and push DOWN! I've seen cop training that emphasises this. You have a lot more strength pushing down from below your shoulder, much more strength than a man trying to lift up from your waste level. I'd venture to say with a nice belt, holster and blue training gun, I could wrestle away from most attempts to take my piece. Being an old wrestler helps too. :lol:

carracer

imported post

I guess that's why you train with the holster, regardless of which one you have. As was stated previously, awareness is your most important defense. Regarding the holster, I feel comfortable open carry with my Serpa CQC Retention Holster. Concealed carry I use an Uncle Mikes non retention holster. Concealed means concealed. And, ALWAYS one in the pipe either way as 775sabot775 says.

775Sabot775

imported post

Some people are uncomfortable carrying 100%, and no ammount of training can prepare you for the dump from your adreanal glands that happens instantly when fight of flight engages. sure you can practice quick draw, and all that jazz with the retention holster, the only thing they scream is go ahead go for my gun it's locked to my hip wich in turn lowers your awareness with that false security.

775Sabot775

imported post

Im not bagging on retention holsters I have a BLACKHAWK! thumb break. and my SERPA Paddle can be adjusted. So that the weapon just does not go flying out of your holster . all I'm saying is it pshchologically lowers your SA, wheather you know it or not. Even the most trained professionals surcome to the lightning fast response your body creates in fight or flight, making sight picture, once very clear at the range in tern very blurry, your hands shake, your blood races, if I had to choose between taking an extra second as apposed to popping the BG a seond or two earlier I will go with something I don't have to fumble with.

775Sabot775

imported post

why would you want to look official if you aren't an official. Your just a dude. Carrying guns openly or otherwise, should't give you a psuedo penis. You should do it for protection, and OC for a Statement, to protect our right's, and to unify with fellow OC'ers to spread the word, that gun's dont just kill innocent people, that bad people behind guns kill innocent people.

775Sabot775

imported post

And on another Note, if you are tripping on stuff alot you probobly should'nt be weilding a gun lol. It's well within your rights to and I can't deny that, but come on fuble bumbs should have strings attatched to them first before they buy a gun.

jfrey123

imported post

775Sabot775 wrote:
why would you want to look official if you aren't an official. Your just a dude. Carrying guns openly or otherwise, should't give you a psuedo penis. You should do it for protection, and OC for a Statement, to protect our right's, and to unify with fellow OC'ers to spread the word, that gun's dont just kill innocent people, that bad people behind guns kill innocent people.
Not looking for a penis enlargement here, and I've never said I'm more than just a dude. But, think of it this way:

You see an OC'er. He's in nice jeans, collared polo shirt tucked in, and has a Bianchi hard nylon holster with thumb break holding his G17 in a nice belt. Some sort of holster that looks like the same one a cop MIGHT use. Something about that setup tells me the carrier knows his sheit, and is carrying safely and responsibly. It comes across as non threatening. Nothing about it actually says cop, but it stands out a little less to the sheep staring you down.

I dunno, open top holsters just put a bad image of the user in my head when I see them. Although, on that same note, when I see an OC'er carrying something in his strong hand (like a soda pop), I'm more at ease than the OC'er who carries everything in his weak side hand "just in case."

My .02, just carry with whatever the hell you want to carry :celebrate

Infidel1

imported post

The image thing not withstanding it should not matter how you dress, what kind of holster you use, or which hand you carry your soda in. The fact is those of us that open carry are expressing our 2nd amendment rights and should not be subject to a dress code to be treated any way but fairly. But I digress we don't live in should land do we. In either case it wont stop me from wearing my slayer shirt and ratty jeans when I OC. Sheep are here to be herded (taught) by those of us that are willing to lead. Also I agree that everyone should do what is right by them.

DESERT ATILLA

imported post

That's one of the reasons for training, isn't it?By training, the "dump" of adrenaline can be managed to a point one can take advantage of the extra strength and quicker reflexes while still keeping from losing one's head. Not to mention that muscle memory is also an important benefit. I'm not suggesting that we become a bunch of Rambos. That's Hollywood. However, if one is caught by surprise, then the responsiblity of carrying OCis to be as prepared as can be. In truth, it's impossible to have a 360 degree awareness of your surroundingsall of the time. Training helps to keep the odds of a positive outcome in our favor. IMHO