• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Open Carrier Not Guilty!!!

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Congratulations Brad! I was able to meet a few of the guys Nick, parabellum, shotgun and others, it was a little blustery and I was in short sleeves so I had to runoff after about 15 minutes ouside lol.

Ben

cleveland

imported post

One thing the judge said concerned me. "West Allis may pass a law in the future that bans open carry." I left right away, but on my way out I mentioned it to an an older guy. He said he doesn't think it would ever pass. I don't know though?

I was the second to last guy to get there this morning (gray suit, yellow tie) and I expected for see standing room only. Pretty sad that only a few people showed up, and only one news camera. I think people in general just don't care. :(

So if people don't care, and it would "solve they problem" for the police.......

Who knows, maybe it's just paranoia. :?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

One thing the judge said concerned me. "West Allis may pass a law in the future that bans open carry."

I guess the judge is unaware of wisconsin's very clear pre-emptive law.

The city of west allis cannot pass that ordinance. Only the state could.

I too was hoping for a standing room only crowd, but we had a good turnout. Considering last hearing there was only 8 of us there.

I'd estimate 50 to75 people considering the seating was 14 seats across and the first 3 rows were completely filled. The last 3 rows were about half filled.

Fox 6 was there for the whole hearing. CBS 58 showed up after the hearing. There was one other reporter, perhaps from the Journal Sentinel.

Anyone who is looking for news reports would likely see something on Fox6 andCBS58 and perhaps tomorrow in the journal

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Congratulations Brad, and thank you! We owe you gratitude for standing up for your rights, and by doing so, stand up for everyone's rights.

I was pleased with the number of people who appeared to show support. We'll see how the press handles this, but it's good that there finally is some press coverage in Wisconsin.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I would also ask/hope that people continue to support Brad and encourage him to seek a civil judgement against the city.

I don't know what Brad's plans are, but this victory today, while just, will be even more resounding if Brad were to choose to sue the city.

Brad was found not guilty today and the city court has not returned Brad's weapon to him.

If the city can arrest us, charge us, cost us a great deal of money in legal fees etc, and keep our weapons EVEN if we are found not guilty, we still have de-facto loss of our rights.

The city of west allis could continue this method of "harrassment" for a long time and its no skin off their back. Losing an expensive weapon to the city court will be an expensive endeavor for most people.

When the city has to face reprecussions monetarily for their harrassement, then they will have no choice but to stop their illegal usurpation of our rights and dangerous police tactics against law abiding citizens.

trailblazer2003

imported post

cleveland wrote:
One thing the judge said concerned me. "West Allis may pass a law in the future that bans open carry." I left right away, but on my way out I mentioned it to an an older guy. He said he doesn't think it would ever pass. I don't know though?

I was the second to last guy to get there this morning (gray suit, yellow tie) and I expected for see standing room only. Pretty sad that only a few people showed up, and only one news camera. I think people in general just don't care. :(

So if people don't care, and it would "solve they problem" for the police.......

Who knows, maybe it's just paranoia. :?
Seeing it as a "gun" issue only, most probably don't care. But if we can get more people to realize this was a violation of our civil rights in general we maybe can get a more sympathetic following. If this charge had been for another constitutionally protected right would the response have been different? In reality all citizens should be sincere and pissed off with any right that is infringed upon by the government, and should come together to right the wrong.

Am I making any sense?

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I would also ask/hope that people continue to support Brad and encourage him to seek a civil judgement against the city.

I don't know what Brad's plans are, but this victory today, while just, will be even more resounding if Brad were to choose to sue the city.
He will.

WIG19

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Congratulations Brad, and thank you! We owe you gratitude for standing up for your rights, and by doing so, stand up for everyone's rights.

I was pleased with the number of people who appeared to show support. We'll see how the press handles this, but it's good that there finally is some press coverage in Wisconsin.
First, yes, if there was ever a clear case for a civil suit, this is one. Second, does anyone know if Brad will have to file a separate petition for return of property, or was that a part of the judge's order?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Second, does anyone know if Brad will have to file a separate petition for return of property, or was that a part of the judge's order?

The judge refused to return his weapon.

Found not guilty, but the government keeps your property anyway. So much for freedom in West Allis, WI.

Teej

imported post

This judge did not have the jurisdiction to return the weapon. Not the same as saying he wouldn't...

WIG19

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Second, does anyone know if Brad will have to file a separate petition for return of property, or was that a part of the judge's order?

The judge refused to return his weapon.

Found not guilty, but the government keeps your property anyway. So much for freedom in West Allis, WI.
Teej wrote:
This judge did not have the jurisdiction to return the weapon. Not the same as saying he wouldn't...
Well, Hugh, I'm not surprised. It seems usual that someone must still file a petition for Return of Property.

Teej: I'm curious; what proscribes the judge from ordering return of the evidence?WHY must this go through a separate filing?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

From other discussions I've had with people more knowledgeable than I, my understanding was the the judge COULD have ordered the property returned, but he 'punted' so to speak and left that to someone else.