• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Market Square

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

hellfogg wrote:
RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
I wonder how most cops would react to a request for ID if someone said "show me yours first... otherwise how do I know if YOU are a "good guy" ?" Basically mirror the confrontation back on them without being antagonistic.
(they probably just point to their badge and name plate, because we all know a badge is impossible to get without being a police officer).

probably - at which point I'd just shrug and tell them there's several dozen website where you can buy those too....

There was local a case not long ago where women were being pulled over by fake police and raped. The news channels made a strong point about verifying a cop and not just trusting the badge and flashing lights. I seem to recall that they have to show you an ID card when asked.

eyesopened

imported post

spawnbringer wrote:
Right eyesopened. I concur. In fact I agree with your entire statement. Nevertheless it really seemed to have troubled me. I think it's because at that moment I felt that the people in that area viewed me as if I was a criminal and that the person who was in fear had the power to have me detained and even perhaps something worst.
I hear ya man. It's that same feeling when you're pulled over on the side of the road :lol:

Only difference is that everytime I've been pulled over for speeding, I earned it - LOL

I haven't had a negative encounter with my firearm yet, but I've only been carrying for a few years. Been lucky I suppose. I'm glad this experience hasn't changed your view, more than likely solidified it.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

And next time since he is doing his duty and responding to complaints....
Ask him to check out those armed people over there who seem to be scoping
you out, possibly to rob. :shock:
Then see if he was telling the truth about checking out a complaint.
But other than not having to much fun at his expense, sounds like a good one.

Anyone try to OC to that lovely parking authority yet.
Would love to see that episode on TV, explaining that the permit is in the
glove box, and you need to get it out of the car.

Any word on Mountain Jacks BHO SS headache yet?

wrightme

imported post

spawnbringer wrote:
<snip>
Officer: "the key word is PENDING" I'm doing my job, That's what I do. Enforce the law.

Officer: "you're free to go"

Me: "ok... be safe"

He just stood there, and I just stood there. I picked up my coffee and started to drink it. He took a few steps from me and call someone on his cell phone.

Officer: "you're free to go"

Me: I'm thinking ok... I'm free to go but for christ sake I was standing here drinking my coffee and you approached me. You walk away. I'm a bit hot at this time and thought to myself that I need to go and cool down so I just walked about 3 miles home. I needed that walk.

I have to go and in a hurry so please let me have the opportunity to edit mistakes later. thanks

Edited because I left out a part in the begining when I cut & pasted fron note pad.
I guess you were "free to go," but not "free to stay."

"Move on, now."

Walleye

imported post

Overall, the experience could have turned out a lot worse. This was probably the first time the officer in question had seen a LAC openly armed, so he may not of had an idea how to proceed either.

Now if you have any future encounters, you will be better equipped to deal with the situation. Aren't there some flyers for PA you can print out and carry around?

Also, what were you carrying?

spawnbringer

imported post

gnbrotz wrote:
Do you plan any type of follow-up as a result of this exchange?

Yes I do.

I'm strongly consideringdrafting a letter to the Chief of Police Nathan Harper and send it via registered mail. At this timeI'm contemplatingwhat the contents will entail. Copies will be sent to other concernedparties. Any suggestions would be considered and appreciated.

I'm going to hold off until after our Meet & Greet in Cranberry this Sunday. I'm looking forward to discussing some issuespertaining to this event with those in the know and willing to pass on their own experience and/or expertise.

spawnbringer

imported post

Walleye wrote:
Overall, the experience could have turned out a lot worse. This was probably the first time the officer in question had seen a LAC openly armed, so he may not of had an idea how to proceed either.

Now if you have any future encounters, you will be better equipped to deal with the situation. Aren't there some flyers for PA you can print out and carry around?

Also, what were you carrying?

Right. The event wasn't nearlyas bad as some I've read about. :)

In factsome wouldsay that over all it was productive i.e.,I've been "checked out" and if I'm seen again the police may know about me and may notask me for my "papers" again. :quirky :banghead:

And yes. It was a learning experience. :cool:

Yes, I do indeed have the OC fliers.

I was, and I am carrying a Glock 19 with 16 rounds of147 TAP FPD in the pistol. As well as 2 X 15 115 FMJ on my left side. I'm not sure if I posted the ammo correctly but it is what's stated on the boxes. Hell, I'm still a FNG here.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

spawnbringer wrote:
I was, and I am carrying a Glock 19 with 16 rounds of147 TAP FPD in the pistol. As well as 2 X 15 115 FMJ on my left side. I'm not sure if I posted the ammo correctly but it is what's stated on the boxes. Hell, I'm still a FNG here.
Not only did you do well, but exceptionally well for a FNG.

Having gone to college at CMU, I'm considering a trip back to Pittsburgh. I know the school's policy, and would check out all laws thoroughly before determining how and/or where to carry. Appears you did that, and you handled the encounter well.

I, too, thought about asking whether you were free to stay <grin>.

canadian

imported post

Jizzzle wrote:
standing ovation.

I have to agree. Although I have to admit I was secretly hoping for one of those stories that ends in "And I sued him for every cent he had."

I guess it's just jealousy, since I'd be looking at a minimum of 5 years in prison for doing what you did. Good job.

YllwFvr

imported post

I've showed my brother some of your stories. Hes is in Police Academy and started carrying concealed about a month ago. He facepalms almost every time. He said he would NEVER carry openly because he wouldnt want the hassle from a cop. Even when he becomes one he said he would rather not deal with it. He also knows you have no need to show ID, or speak to the officer. He told me he would waive those rights, and even allow the officer to take his weapon for the duration of the conversation.

Have they brainwashed my younger sibling in just four weeks? He knows your allowed to OC and not cooperate but thinks its lunacy.

Spawnbringer I think you did very well! I can only hope I do half as well!! I doubt I'd have the guts to oc in Pittsburg.

Question for you. You said a few times you dont consent to this and then did it anyway. Did he show any reaction to this mild show of resistance? He sounded quite decent the whole time.

You said other police were in the area. Did they observe this exchange from a distance? Last question! Will you OC in that area again?

When I OC the first time it will be at one of the Dinners put together on here. After my last run-in with an officer I will admit it scared the hell outta me. Im gonna need that confidence boost.

Jizzzle

imported post

hey spawn ur situation coulda gotten a lot worse. take NM police in alamogordo for instance. lol. say you're watching a movie in a theater with a buddy.. say for instance the manager calls the cops because he's to scared to tell you himself that he'd prefer guns not being carried in the theater.. then say for instance 7"safety officers"enter your theater and pull you out by chicken winging you and have thier guns unclasped. just in case.... then proceed to hassle you for about 30-45 minutes. then they don't so much as give u a citation then file a false police report.....i applaud u. thank god ur cop wasn't a douche bag.