Thread: SB 78, Parking Lot Pre-emption passes first hearing

State Researcher

Post imported post

Sen. Madsen's SB 78, Protection of Constitutional activities in certain private venues, (aka "parking lot pre-emption") passed out of its senate committee with a unanimous positive vote.

Please thank the following senators for supporting this bill that protects employees from being fired over having a lawful gun (or religious material) inside their private car that is parked in company parking lots.

Yeas - 7
    Davis, G.
    Liljenquist, D.
    Mayne, K.
    Niederhauser, W.
    Urquhart, S.
    Valentine, J.
    Van Tassell, K.

Remember, this is about life and safety during the daily commute. It is a proper balance of the property rights of the employer, and the life, safety, and property rights of the employee.

We need to watch to avoid backroom efforts to prevent a floor vote in the house.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Post imported post

Dang, I hadn't even heard of this.

What can I do to help with this?

Post imported post

Thank you for posting this Charles! :celebrate

With the number of co-sponsors on this bill, it should hopefully remain "bullet proof" throughout the session.

A extra special "thank you" to Senators Davis and Mayne. The other five senators that voted in favor are all co-sponsors, but these two were not.

Oh, and the reason you have not heard about this yet Jeremy? Because you are too busy fighting the good fight for open carry in Texas... right???????? Did you know that there are not just one, but ten pieces of legislation this year that could alter gun rights in Utah?

Watch out "Brady Bunch", we're shooting for a perfect zero!
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

Ten? good ones?

But yes, I have been getting everyone I run into that likes Open carry, to sign the petition, I signed it as a current resident of Texas, and I have written the applicable parties with my views, and encouraged others to do the same.

But as a Utahn, I don't mind fighting a two front war.

Post imported post

Sweet! It's about time I heard some good news. My whole life has been turned upside-down lately, so this is a breath of fresh air!

Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

It passed the Senate on Tuesday by a 25-4-0 vote, but they have now added enough exemptions to make it look like swiss cheese. They have now exempted anyone who can claim hardship, anyone who processes chemicals, any religious organization, any school, and anyone else who can find a federal regulation that might be stretched to apply to them.

Post imported post

cant just pass a law can they, they have to make it "fair" dont they?

sick of this crap

State Researcher

Post imported post

rpyne wrote:
    It passed the Senate on Tuesday by a 25-4-0 vote, but they have now added enough exemptions to make it look like swiss cheese. They have now exempted anyone who can claim hardship, anyone who processes chemicals, any religious organization, any school, and anyone else who can find a federal regulation that might be stretched to apply to them.
    The loopholes have dramatically reduced opposition to the bill while also increasing the chances of it surviving any court challenge. It will not provide parking lot pre-emption for every employee in the State. But it should increase the number from those who currently enjoy it by virtue of being employees of the State or one of its subdivisions/agencies to a fair number of private employees.

Even a small step is good if it is in the right direction.

All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Post imported post

I just found the Arizona version that just passed out of committee in the Arizona house. I like it MUCH better.....

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....ls/hb2474p.htm

Post imported post

Niederhauser, W is my Senator and i have written him about 2nd Amendment Rights and he assured me 2 months ago that he supports the 2nd A like all of us, he walked the walk and talked the talk good job Niederhauser.