• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi all. Just stumbled on this forum and find the topic interesting...

Bowman26

imported post

I feel like many of you here do. In that basically why should I have to pay for the right to do something I already have a right to do?

I know a lot of people who recently got their CC and I mentioned just carrying open and they all shreek like a bunch of hens about having to explain it to the police etc.

Then you start to think, well shouldn't Johnny Law ummm KNOW THE LAW? That is what he is paid to enforce correct?

So I start to think more about this as I would like to carry but really don't want to get involved with the whole pay your money every few years, databases and cards with your picture etc.

Then I think hmmmm I have never questioned anyone wearing an open carry gun holstered out in public. If anything I would be prone to think them a Det. or Cop of some sort. Who here has ever stopped and questioned the legality of someone wearing a pistol?

In talking with a freind who just got his CC, I mentioned that I thought I would just carry a copy of the LAW itself. I can just as easily show the cop or anyone else it is legal as I can break out my government issues ID badge saying I am legal to carry the same gun under my clothes.

What about the fact that most criminals will hide their guns until needed. Wouldn't this make those concealing more likely to be questionable than someone openly dispalying their gun? The CC guys say ther guns never get seen. I am not so sure about that stat but I know there is no way I can carry in mid summer down here in S. La. without likely showing at somepoint in time to someone.

I will need to get a good Holster for my pistol but not sure what it will fit as none are made specific for it that I can find. There is just no way I want to have to redress myself and be forced to conceal that which I am not obligated to conceal but just as much within my legal rights to carry openly.

Is there any law against wearing cuffs with your gun? :lol:That would give you more of the oh he must be a cop look. :p

Looking forward to reading posts and learning more.

Bo

Bowman26

imported post

Wouldn't that only be true if you actually declared yourself an officer or tried to act as though you are one and actually tried to detain or arrest someone? I see handcuffs dangling off of rear view mirrors all the time. My wife hosted a bachelorette party and one of the strippers was dressed as a cop with cuffs no less.

Just wearing a pocket protector doesn't make you a Engineer. ;)

Bo

wrightme

imported post

If you are "wearing cuffs," you already were contacted by LE! :quirky (or by a sig other).

Carrying them is a different story.

99vengeur

imported post

Bowman26 wrote:
Wouldn't that only be true if you actually declared yourself an officer or tried to act as though you are one and actually tried to detain or arrest someone? I see handcuffs dangling off of rear view mirrors all the time. My wife hosted a bachelorette party and one of the strippers was dressed as a cop with cuffs no less.

Bo
You won't be arrested for trying to impersonate an engineer. You are not providing an adequate comparison. What is your purpose for carrying cuffs along with your firearm? Their main purpose is for detaining someone, a duty of an officer. Therefore, by the sheer fact you are carrying them with your firearm implies you are in the right to detain someone, which you are not afforded as a normal citizen.

wrightme

imported post

99vengeur wrote:
Bowman26 wrote:

Bo
You won't be arrested for trying to impersonate an engineer. You are not providing an adequate comparison. What is your purpose for carrying cuffs along with your firearm? Their main purpose is for detaining someone, a duty of an officer. Therefore, by the sheer fact you are carrying them with your firearm implies you are in the right to detain someone, which you are not afforded as a normal citizen.
So, does carrying the firearm indicate that you are going to shoot someone? Your point is a reach.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!!

I wouldn't put too much on handcuffs. One of the biggest points of OC is to show others that the right still exists, and that normal people can be armed without blood running in the streets. No sense in camoflaging oneself as a cop.

Just learn your law frontwards and backwards. Get your holster. And open carry.

We've learned that it does no good whatsoever to show the police the law during a police encounter. They don't pay attention. They're not interested. Keep some copies handy for curious citizens.

And learn your rights. Its not a pre-requisite. But, the more you know about your rights during a police encounter the better. Mainly Fourth Amendment (search and seizure) and 5th Amendment (talking to police, answering questions).

If secretly recording a conversation in which you are participatingis legal in your state, I strongly recommend a voice-recorder.

imported post

In most states, Louisiana included, a citizen does have the right to detain someone who commits certain crimes in their presence. But, definitely here in Louisiana, wearing cuffs AND OC'ing will more than likely get you a ride to the pokey.

Bowman26

imported post

Thanks for the replies. I was half talking tongue in cheek about the cuffs but it did make we wonder none the less but was not the intention of my post per say :).

As I mentioned the whole issue is very intriguing to me and one I can see needing to be exercised without a doubt.

I just read about Mark's court case and the outcome :celebrateSucks you had to go through that but I am happy with your outcome.

What gives me the reds the worst is that I am made to feel as though I am bad for wanting to open carry and that getting hassled always sucks when your just trying to take your defense of your life into your hands and no one is at risk so long as they threaten myself or anyone else around me. That I could be hauled off by deputy dip because he doesn't comprehend the law is sad.

I don't drink and I hate parades so I think I am set to give it a go. I have a short haircut and hardly look like a would be offender IMO probably more like a cop these days :lol:without the cuffs of course.

Anyone know a source for a holster for a Steyr M9? Very similar to Glock style but not as squared off. I can't seem to find anyone listing one expressly for the Steyr.

Bo

Bowman26

imported post

Just found High Noon Holsters that makes one for my Steyr. Anyone use these before? They look nice and well made and come recommended on a forum I found info on.

Another post I know but what do you prefer for a mid size semi auto 9mm, a paddle holster or a belt double threaded style? Either would work for me but I like the idea of getting to take the paddle off with more ease.

Bo

Gr8 Scott

imported post

You've inspired me to start OCing too. Now I justneed to find a good holster for my old M9. I'm not too far from you over here in Folsom. :cool:

These boards remind me of an old saying:

"None of us is as smart as all of us"

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BTW, don't get one of those badges that are for sale on the web either. Louisiana law makes it illegal to carry a badge not recognized in the Revised Statutes. Security companies are allowed badges, but only under certain conditions. This is spelled out over several laws, and not one specific one.

Go to http://www.legis.state.la.us/and click on the Law Search tab and search for "badge."

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
In most states, Louisiana included, a citizen does have the right to detain someone who commits certain crimes in their presence. But, definitely here in Louisiana, wearing cuffs AND OC'ing will more than likely get you a ride to the pokey.

This is correct. In Michigan, for instance, if you witness someone commit a felony a citizen may detain that person only 1) if they or someone else has notified the police 2) until the police arrive.

Wearing a gun and cuffs? What's the big deal? I personally don't own cuffs but if I were to carry them, there's no crime for concealing those so how would they know?

Seigi

imported post

There's no crime to openly carry a gun in Gonzales either, but it didn't stop the police from stretching an obviously non-applicable statute to arrest Mark. They might stretch possession of cuffs and a gun to be an attempt to impersonate a police officer. It wouldn't be legitimate but that wouldn't change the fact that the carrier would be in the wrong seat of a patrol car and headed for some long and costly litigation. And a possible motorcycle.

imported post

Some years back, a fellow ham radio operator related his experience with, of all people, the Gonzales PD. Seems he had his 2 meter handy talkie hanging from his waist and entered a fast food place in Gonzales. I'm not sure if someone called the cops or if the cops just showed up. Either way, they hassled him about impersonating an officer based on his ham radio !!! True story.

sheepdog

imported post

...I've seen a cop hassle someone just for looking at him....an insecure wannabeman with a badge and gun hanging off of him is trouble for everyone around him...we got good ones you'd be proud to drink a beer with...and some who aren't worth the p... it'd take to put them out if they were on fire....my approach, having been one...is friendly and smiling....if I meet an attitude...I got one of those, too, and I've challenged one to either change theirs or finish the conversation in front of the Chief's desk...he backed down...my conception is that they work for us...that's the way I did it and that's the reason WE put a badge on them...I'm ashamed to hear some of the crap that OC's experiencing...in the 60s and 70s, I was never even questioned for OCing, and I never questioned someone OCing...now, if I spotted a gun in a pocket or under a shirt...I found out why...like the old deacon at the meat counter one night...I was in the store about 9:30 pm and he, being around 60, was shopping with the clearly defined S&W Model 10 square butt in his slacks pocket...I ID'd and asked him why...he said "In my other pocket, I'm carrying the church offering".....I just told him next time , to leave both in the car or go home with them first....then come shopping.....but common sense ain't as common as it was back then, is it........

I think we should support our local police...as long as they support us!!!

imported post

The very concept of "law enforcement officers" is in direct conflict with the principles upon which this country was founded. Seems the declaration of independence made mention of some such concept when they referred to a "swarm of officers to harrass our people."

Police officer don't "support" you, quite the opposite. YOU support THEM in the form of paychecks, medical insurance, retirement benefits, etc. And the whole while, they have NO lawful duty to protect you. It's one of the few jobs I know of where you get paid whether you achieve success or not.

sheepdog

imported post

...come up with a better plan...and we'll all support yours...till then....this is what we have...good and bad....