• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inner City New Orleans Open Carry

the wheeelman

imported post

I have a buddy who lives and works in New Orleans in the city...right off canal in fact. He is unable to get his CCL, I told him he should just OC. He feels the LEO would be on him like stink on shit if he tried.

Can any of you shed some light on how LEO and the general public react to OC in "chocolate city"?

Also, how many of you or people you seeOC in NOLA?

ManInBlack

imported post

As a resident of Uptown New Orleans, I open carry very infrequently. Mostly in front of my house, in the yard, and on quick trips to the corner store, etc. When exiting my vehicle while open carrying in the city, I always do a quick head check for police, because I have no doubt that New Orleans finest (worst) would not hesitate to take me down, cuff me, lock me up with the animals in OPP, and ask questions later. It sucks, because it makes you feel like a criminal for exercising what should be a very clearly-defined right in this state. However, having lived in Washington, I can tell you it is the same way up there. Open carry is (mostly) cool throughout the state, but you have to have some real cajones to do it in downtown Seattle.

My advice: tell your friend to do everything he can to get a CCL, carry in his vehicle at all times, work to get the NOPD and OPCSO to recognize a basic right, and open carry using only his very best judgment.

EDIT: As far as people's reactions, I have found them to be either a) positive, b) surprised ("Damn, he got a pistol on his hip!"), or c) non-existent. I have not personally encountered negative reactions.

the wheeelman

imported post

seaplanepilot1 wrote:
Wheelman,

You mentioned that your friend in N.O. could not get his CCW permit.

What is the reason?

Regards,

seaplanepilot1
Well I guess since my friend remains nameless...he got a DUI back in 2007. Which it was a crappy situation where the video clearly shows he passed all nearly all of the field sobriety (he failed holding one leg up and having to count till the LEO said which he made it to 50-60 before losing balance), he didn't appear drunk...but the Bad GUY/LEO used the off balance to give him a breathalyzer which he accepted thinking he was able to pass. He blew .01 over I believe. Long story short, he got it expunged butLA doesn't recognize expungement when applying for a concealed handgun license.He took the class and all. Oh and this is what the LEO teaching the class said about OC...IT WASN'T LEGAL!

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Your friend will need to be very careful about the Gun Free School Zones, as there are several in the Canal area.

Somewhere in the General forum is my thread about NOPD ordering me to disarm in my own front yard. That worked out well primarily because I could quote the law and I do not look like a threatening guy generally.

Go to www.nola.com and search for "Adolph Grimes" to see what happened to one guy at the hands of NOPD.