Thread: Traveling with a loaded mag

Post imported post

Hello OC'ers of California!

I apologize if this has already been explained, but i am curious to know if i can carry loaded mags in my belt pouch, seft side while driving(would this constitute as concealed?) or cup holder while driving with the firearm unloaded on the passenger seat/passenger floor board(if i happen to slam on my brakes)completely visible?

thank you in advance,

~

M

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

You can carry loaded magazines on your belt legally, even when driving. If you are going to place the magazines in a cup holder or something just make sure they are visible.

Post imported post

Mykal wrote:
    Hello OC'ers of California!

I apologize if this has already been explained, but i am curious to know if i can carry loaded mags in my belt pouch, seft side while driving(would this constitute as concealed?) or cup holder while driving with the firearm unloaded on the passenger seat/passenger floor board(if i happen to slam on my brakes)completely visible?

thank you in advance,

~

M

Mags in mag holders on either side = perfectly legal.

Gun laying on passenger seat Unloaded = perfectly legal (with exception of within 1,000 feet from a K-12 school) You can even have the mags laying right next to the gun.

The following is all just my opinion and does not reflect any legal requirements:

I for one would not have it laying down on the floor for any reason. Too many LEO's could think that it slid out from under the seat and go from that assumption to "You had this concealed under the seat". Or it really could slide under the seat and be concealed, in which case you could get busted.

If you are going to open carry, thencarry in a holster. If not then lock the firearm up.

I am not a lawyer, and nothing stated hereconstitutes legal advice.

Post imported post

i did not want ot carry the firearm in the holster while driving just incase the LEO would try to get me on concealment( hidden under seatbelt strap or something).

The tip about the floor board: thanks i will make sure it doesnt land there under any circumstances.

even when passing (knowningly passing) a school zone it still has to be locked while transporting? boo. (lol)

current residence is within 1k' of the school. =(

thanks again!

Post imported post

Mykal wrote:
    i did not want ot carry the firearm in the holster while driving just incase the LEO would try to get me on concealment( hidden under seatbelt strap or something).

The tip about the floor board: thanks i will make sure it doesnt land there under any circumstances.

even when passing (knowningly passing) a school zone it still has to be locked while transporting? boo. (lol)

current residence is within 1k' of the school. =(

thanks again!
    With your home < 1,000 feet from K-12, you need to be careful even taking your gun to and from your car. Make sure that you have it locked in a case if you even step off the curb to put it in your trunk.

It is ok to use your trunk as a locking case, just don't park on the street and try to put your gun into the trunk or you will violate 626.9.