• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello..this is incredible :)

seansean

imported post

I just stumbled across your site..I live in hollywood, and had no idea open carry was legal..I have a Utah CCW(not that it's valid here), but, I thought there was no way I'd be able to carry here in any way, now I know better. Thanks!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!!

(The other's would have said it, but we're justfriendly that way here in VA.)

:)

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

seansean wrote:
I just stumbled across your site..I live in hollywood, and had no idea open carry was legal..I have a Utah CCW(not that it's valid here), but, I thought there was no way I'd be able to carry here in any way, now I know better. Thanks!!

Welcome to OCDO.

The method and circumstances by which we can carry a firearm are highly restrictive, but not impossible. Be sure to read up on the code and feel free to ask questions...

Decoligny

imported post

Definitely don't jump in blind. Read the Pamphlet and the Flyer in the CA Forum. Then go and read the actual Penal Code. Then ask questions, and then re-read the code until you know and understand all the limitations.

Don't take anything you read on any forum at face value. We can and most of us have made mistakes. That is why we stress knowing the code for yourself.

We are not lawyers, well, some of us may be, but we do not represent ourselves here as such, and any discussions hereshould in no way be considered legal advice.

seansean

imported post

appreciate the friendliness everyone..yeah, I've been thinking about it..I am concerned. Not to be all racial about it, but I'm black..and, as some of you LEO'S know, a "black man with a gun" call is liable to get me on the business end of a shitload of LAPD...and I live like a 5 minute drive from hollywood division...so I'll be treading very carefully with this. I might even pop in there and have a talk with 'em before I OC.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

It's unfortunate that race plays any part in people's rationality when it comes to feeling threatened, but it's definitely something to be aware of since it does play on people's reactions. I think I remember a while back a guy who lives in Richmond or Oakland (who was also black) asking about open carrying. Can't find the post though. Be sure to be extra vigilant about having a voice recorder and a friend to accompany you since you are probably more likely to get unwanted attention.

You should catch a ride with somebody down to San Diego for the open carry meetup on the 28th. At least you'll get a taste of how it is to UOC and there will be plenty more targets for the cops to harass if they do bother anybody (which I doubt they will).

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

seansean wrote:
appreciate the friendliness everyone..yeah, I've been thinking about it..I am concerned. Not to be all racial about it, but I'm black..and, as some of you LEO'S know, a "black man with a gun" call is liable to get me on the business end of a @#$%load of LAPD...and I live like a 5 minute drive from hollywood division...so I'll be treading very carefully with this. I might even pop in there and have a talk with 'em before I OC.

Race has unfortunately played a part in both disarming the law abiding and in police encounters with a "BMWAG" and OCDO member from Virginia who posts here under the name Danbus. He was recently vindicated in court over a trespassing charge related to open carry on public property and has been the target of prior police contact despite the fact open carry is completely legal in Virginia. Dan certainly has a unique perspective on this issue.

As for contacting the police for legal advice; It is generally discouraged because many authorities either do not know the law regarding open carry in California or do know and do not approve of citizens carrying firearms, often dispensing admonitions that carrying an exposed weapon will result in an arrest.

There has been some advancement towards educating the authorities and there have been a number of memos detailing unloaded open carry as lawful. It is possible that the Hollywood Division of LAPD has already been breifed on the issue. I would not however, expect them to be entirely candid about this activity though.

chrsjhnsn

imported post

seansean wrote:
appreciate the friendliness everyone..yeah, I've been thinking about it..I am concerned. Not to be all racial about it, but I'm black..and, as some of you LEO'S know, a "black man with a gun" call is liable to get me on the business end of a @#$%load of LAPD...and I live like a 5 minute drive from hollywood division...so I'll be treading very carefully with this. I might even pop in there and have a talk with 'em before I OC.
I would say DO NOT open carry unless you have the 5000 bucks. calguns.net

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

They say that, but the only real threat with OC right now is 626.9. That is the only one that apparently isn't clear on. Otherwise the LAPD, LASD and all the surrounding have been keenly notified of 12031 and 12025 deals.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

seansean wrote:

Going to the police for advice may not be a wise choice. Some LEO don't like the idea of anyone other than themselves carrying firearms.

If you're going to carry, I'd suggest you stay away from the "gangsta" attire. You don't have to wear a shirt and tie, but you'll want to steer away fromany negative stereotype appearance that would draw unwanted attention.

Welcome to the forum and good luck to you sir.

seansean

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
seansean wrote:

Going to the police for advice may not be a wise choice. Some LEO don't like the idea of anyone other than themselves carrying firearms.

If you're going to carry, I'd suggest you stay away from the "gangsta" attire. You don't have to wear a shirt and tie, but you'll want to steer away fromany negative stereotype appearance that would draw unwanted attention.

Welcome to the forum and good luck to you sir.
Thanks.. I'm not the kind to drive/walk around gangsta-style anyway, so that's not a problem. I'll have to really think about this...but I appreciate all the input...

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I think if you're serious about open carry, and when you are comfortable with your knowledge of the facts, then go for it.

I highly recommend audio recording and witnesses. Even better, get a open carry buddy. Get together for coffee, or what you have, and bring along the significant others or non-carrying friends for witnesses.