• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Associated Press: West Allis (WI) judge says man could carry gun

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-unconcealedweapon,0,369357.story

West Allis judge says man could carry gun
Associated Press
4:00 PM CST, February 17, 2009

WEST ALLIS, Wis. - A West Allis municipal judge said a resident was within his rights to carry a gun while planting a tree on his property.

Judge Paul Murphy found Brad Krause not guilty Tuesday of disorderly conduct in a case that has drawn the interest of gun rights advocates.

"The reason people are upset about this is it's not about guns. It's about civil liberties. And we obviously have a property issue," Krause said after the hearing. "There was no warrant issued, no exigent circumstances, no permission to enter the property, yet the police stormed in with guns drawn and put my life at risk.

"My wife was very worried that she would be a widow in short order because I was planting a tree."

A message left for West Allis Police Chief Mike Jungbluth by The Associated Press was not immediately returned. West Allis City Attorney Scott Post declined to comment.

Police responded to Krause's home in August after a neighbor called to ask about the legality of him openly carrying a hand gun in a holster on his property. Police arrested Krause, ticketing him for disorderly conduct. Police also seized his gun.

"The big overarching issue is whether open carry is legal," Krause's attorney Steven Cain said. "The law in Wisconsin really only limits concealed carry. The law in Wisconsin, as we see it, is that open carry is absolutely legal, protected, and should be."

Krause declined to explain why he was carrying a gun to plant a tree.

"There's no requirement to justify why you're able to exercise constitutional rights," Krause said. "I and everyone else are able to go to church, they're able to vote, they're able to speak their mind. Even though the city might not like it, we have that right."

smithman

imported post

Tex4OC wrote:
Way to go Brad!!! Did he get his guns back?
He's working on it. The judge wouldn't himself authorize the return of the property.

Kinda sad that those who are proven not guilty are still guilty until proven innocent to get back their property EVEN when their property was ILLEGALLY seized.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

smithman wrote:
Tex4OC wrote:
Way to go Brad!!! Did he get his guns back?
He's working on it. The judge wouldn't himself authorize the return of the property.

Kinda sad that those who are proven not guilty are still guilty until proven innocent to get back their property EVEN when their property was ILLEGALLY seized.
There is a 1983 action ongoing I think in a county in Eastern PA for just this sort of government imposed difficulty in retreiving firearms.

CaptainFinn

imported post

Did you see the interview with the cranky old miserable neighbor ? Old guy who looked like he stopped bathing about the time Nixon left office. He snarls into the camera: "He can't come on this block and carry a weapon..." like that block is his own personal community, with its' own set of laws.

If it's legal, it's LEGAL. What don't these people understand ?! If a neighbor was 'disturbed' by a gay couple, an interracial couple, or even a danged foreigner standing in their own yard doing landcaping, the police wouldn't have stomped over there with guns out...

TFred

imported post

CaptainFinn wrote:
Did you see the interview with the cranky old miserable neighbor ? Old guy who looked like he stopped bathing about the time Nixon left office. He snarls into the camera: "He can't come on this block and carry a weapon..." like that block is his own personal community, with its' own set of laws.

If it's legal, it's LEGAL. What don't these people understand ?! If a neighbor was 'disturbed' by a gay couple, an interracial couple, or even a danged foreigner standing in their own yard doing landcaping, the police wouldn't have stomped over there with guns out...
Can you imagine the press that call would get?

"911, what is the nature of your emergency?"

"Umm... yeah... is it legal for two men to be livin' together?"

Ha.

TFred

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

He needs to find out who called him in and file "UN-NECESSARY HARRASSMENT" charges against them and then sue for the Legal Costs. Then, of course, sue the City Municipality for improper SEARCH and SEIZUREof personal property without a search warrant properly administered. then, take that money and sue the State for allowing the city to hire uneducated personnel for the Law Enforcement area-they don't have to know the Law, verbatum, but, must have a good working knowledge of the Laws, City, State, and Federal as it applies to their area. Then, take that money and use it to re-locate to the United States-because evidentally he is not, must be in an area that has already turned Communist.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Cowboy_Rick wrote:
He needs to find out who called him in and file "UN-NECESSARY HARRASSMENT" charges against them and then sue for the Legal Costs.
Filing suit against a 911 caller would prbably not be a good idea for many reasons; but does WI have a FOIA by which the 911 call tape can be obtained?

In Virginia FOIA has been used many times to show that the 911 caller often is just making an "inquiry," not calling in any "emergency"

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.wisfoic.org/index.html

Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 19.31Declaration of policy. In recognition of the fact that a representative government is dependent upon an informed electorate, it is declared to be the public policy of this state that all persons are entitled to the greatest possible information regarding the affairs of government and the official acts of those officers and employees who represent them. Further, providing persons with such information is declared to be an essential function of a representative government and an integral part of the routine duties of officers and employees whose responsibility it is to provide such information. To that end, ss 19.32 to 19.37 shall be construed in every instance with a presumption of complete public access, consistent with the conduct of governmental business. The denial of public access generally is contrary to the public interest, and only in an exceptional case may access be denied.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Man, am I ever glad that I live in TEXAS!!!! Thought that 911 was to be used for "EMERGENCIES" only! There should be a phone number for non-emergencies to aid in such questions.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Don't know who user=6829 is but I'll stay in TEXAS anyway! Try to always be polite, but I will get the point across.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
I dropped in on another thread, and mentioned this too: I have a mid-management hack from the Department of Homeland Security that lives across the street from me, in my politically correct subdivision. He's called the cops on me before, and would definitely call again if he felt I was exercising rights that he feels are exclusive to him.
Fly this in your front yard :lol: