• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

so tell us your story of being pulled over for speeding while oc,ing

spencer280

imported post

concealed or open carry

i just wonder if anyone has had any trouble getting pulled over for speeding while open carrying a weapon. of course you tell the officer right away that you have a weapon and give him your permit and drivers license

Farmer Troy

imported post

I know of someone who keeps a gun in his glovebox, and he was pulled over once and told me this story. When he was asked for his papers, he told the officer not to get excited, because there is a gun in the glove box with the papers, and the officer asked to see his LTCF, which he showed, and all was fine. I don't remember what he said the charge was . . . speeding maybe or something else.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

spencer280 wrote:
of course you tell the officer right away that you have a weapon and give him your permit and drivers license
Of course, NOT.

There is no duty to inform an officer that there is a firearm present in the car, and I take measures to insure that my firearm and LTCF are in places where they will not be seen as I retrieve any paperwork necessary during a traffic stop.

spencer280

imported post

see theirs where i have to differ . no affiance but don't the law state that if you get pulled over you tell the office right away. see i have a family member that is an officer and what happens is then you get pulled over they already know you may have a weapon. when you get your L.T.C.F permit a record goes to the state police and gets put on your info so when the police pull you over and run your plates if comes up. the cop told me to alway let the officer know you have it on you and where it is on your person. more to protect your self.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

spencer280 wrote:
see theirs where i have to differ . no affiance but don't the law state that if you get pulled over you tell the office right away.
No. I challenge you to cite the law that requires officer notification.

spencer280 wrote:
see i have a family member that is an officer and what happens is then you get pulled over they already know you may have a weapon. when you get your L.T.C.F permit a record goes to the state police and gets put on your info so when the police pull you over and run your plates if comes up.
Wrong.

spencer280 wrote:
the cop told me to alway let the officer know you have it on you and where it is on your person. more to protect your self.
That's his opinion, not the law.

spencer280

imported post

i see what you mean but i still think its a smart move to tell the officer about the weapon. just for common scene. if you where the office going up to a car wouldn't you want to know. I'm cool i just think it's the best way to handle the situation.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Having your own opinion, and acting accordingly is one thing.

Stating as fact things that are clearly incorrect is something else....even if the source is "a family member that is an officer." As a matter of fact, one of the rules of this forum is that you back up any such claims with a citation of law.

From the rules thread (you may want to check that out):
[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][/font]
7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbant upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when avaiable, is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

spencer280

imported post

im not stating it as the law im not sure its just what i would do. even if the law state that i do not have to tell the officer i'm going to just because if it was turned around and i was the cop i would want to know. and i did i just talked to the sheriff of Armstrong county MR CRAWFORD and he said yes you are to tell the officer you have a weapon. he noted that if you do not tell him and he finds it, he will think you where hideing something. but that is what he said. it makes sence to me but this my not be the law and no one quote me.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

A. There is no statute in the Crimes Code that requires a motor vehicle operator to inform a police officer conducting a traffic stop that a firearm is present (be it carried, openly or concealed, or stuffed somewhere else in the vehicle).

B. There is no statute in the Crimes Code that requires a motor vehicle operator to present his/her LTCF to the police officer conducting a traffic stop.

C. If a person wants to do such, they may, but if a firearm has nothing to do with the traffic stop, then all that person is doing is complicating the issue.

D. LTCFs are not linked to driver's licenses or vehicle registrations. A police officer conducting a traffic stop has no way of knowing beforehand whether the driver has or has not an LTCF.

E. If mere words offend you, get a thicker skin. If you're comfortable with who and what you are, then it doesn't matter what others say. Not everyone shares your beliefs.

spencer280

imported post

ok the law allows you not to tell the officer anything about your weapon when being pulled over. i was just taking the word of a sherrif and state trooper. i guess in the long run its up to you tell or don't tell. but thanks for all the input. and the commit of Mr. Aron didn't get to me i just thought it was a little inappropriate word for this sight. and i think he's coming to that oc dinner not sure throw. hey in the long run we are all here for one reason supporting the 2nd amendment. you all have a good night