• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

so tell us your story of being pulled over for speeding while oc,ing

YllwFvr

imported post

I think I've said this in a different thread already. But I've been pulled over six times while carrying. I DID tell the officers. With one exception it went:
O: lisence and registration
Me: sir I am a concealed weapons carrier and I have the weapon on my person at this time. (hand him my lisence and reg)
O: ok thank you
He goes back to his vehicle and runs me. Comes back gives me my papers gives me the run down on why I was pulled over. THEN
O: BTW can I see your carry permit? Ok thank you, have a good day.
And I get off with a warning. The other time a female officer only said "you carry around these kids?" Not at home ma'am." Ok".

SlackwareRobert

imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
And I get off with a warning. The other time a female officer only said "you carry around these kids?
"
Only because of stupid laws that don't allow them to protect themselves."

There are a couple of dumb places that require notifying, but as long as i'm
on the hiway, I go by my states laws, and exercise my 5th amendment rights.

If you are in a real good mood one night, when asked if you have any weapons,
just tell them you rufuse to answer under the grounds it might incriminate you.
But follow up with the "Am I being detained"

I find that telling a trooper the truth makes them go ballistic most of the time.
They can't handle such a strange attitude I guess.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Last week I got a ticket on Rt 322 in Juniata county about 16 miles south of State College. I was OC'ing a 1911 & 2 spare mags. I had to unbuckle the seat belt and reach past the 2 mags to get to my wallet. I kept my hands in sight and told the Corporal what I was doing before I did it.

After he came back and gave me the ticket he asked what I was carrying - I told him 1911 and asked if he needed to see my LTCF - he said no.

spencer280

imported post

i still say if i get pulled over i will tell the officer right away so he knows i am not hiding anything and proceed to give him my permit and license.

even throe you don't have to by law tell the office. just remember they can make your life hell. in my opinion its best to lay it all out on the table and let them know. whats it going to hurt your pride. it just shows respect to the officer and hey if you don't tell the office and he does see it you just my have his gun at your head. its not worth the risk of you accidentally getting shot because the officer thinks his life my be endanger. remember that office doesn't know you. and doesn't know what you may use that weapon for. your choice i know what im going to do. pride is worth nothing if your dead.

( sometimes common scene over rides what the law may state )

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

spencer280 wrote:
no but put your self in the officers shoes what harm is it to tell him you have a gun.
you still are exercising your right. all you are doing is protecting your self
<puts officer's shoes on>
If someone tells me they have a firearm, does that guarantee I am safe? No.

If someone has a firearm, but doesn't tell me, does that make them more dangerous? No.

Will someone with bad intentions tell me about their evil plans? Probably not.

Conclusion: The knowledge that a firearm is present neither increases or decreases my safety, thus there is no benefit in knowing, or harm in not knowing. If someone is not a threat, that is true whether or not I know a firearm is present.
<takes officer's shoes off>

And I'm not speaking only of my 2nd Amendment rights, but all rights afforded me under the law. Exercising them is what protects me, not waiving them.

spencer280

imported post

why wouldn't you tell the officer you have a gun. if you are not hiding anything you are fine. i seen a man not tell the officer he had a gun the officer seen it. the guy was taken out of his car handcuffed they searched his car. even thoe nothing was found it still in my eyes would be very embarrassing to go threw all that. the officer told the guy if only he would have told the officer right away none of that would have happened.

everyone reading this= it all comes down to one thing. its up to you how to handle the situation. you can tell or don't tell you have heard some good points on both sides and we could argue all night and still get no where.

i on one hand would tell . in my eyes im exercising my rights when i tell the officer . letting him know there are people like me out there that is not a threat. so by telling the officer i am exercising my right showing him that i indeed do carry.

Aran

Banned
imported post

spencer280 wrote:
the officer told the guy if only he would have told the officer right away none of that would have happened.
That's all well and good in that particular situation.

In another situation, the officer could have drawn down on him for telling him he was armed, and any time a gun leaves its holster, the chance of an adrenaline-fueled trigger twitch rises above 0%.

I've only ever had negative situations when it comes to police officers knowing I'm armed.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

spencer280 wrote:
concealed or open carry

i just wonder if anyone has had any trouble getting pulled over for speeding while open carrying a weapon. of course you tell the officer right away that you have a weapon and give him your permit and drivers license

Nope, I do NOT inform. I do not answer ANY questions.

I was pulled over last Feb. While OC'ing, on my way back from pittsburgh. I did NOT inform. Got my warning and was on my way. I was pulled over a couple times before that, years back, never informed then either.

My personal recommendation is to follow the advice in this video. There is a segment on traffic stops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

spencer280 wrote:
why wouldn't you tell the officer you have a gun. if you are not hiding anything you are fine.
This is simply very naive.

Please watch both of these vids:
http://paopencarry.org/forum/dont-talk-to-the-police-t-5.html

Add to that that people have had their firearms UNLAWFULLY confiscated by thug police. They would not have had them taken had they kept their mouth shut.

As for traffic stops. I don't answer ANY questions.

i seen a man not tell the officer he had a gun the officer seen it. the guy was taken out of his car handcuffed they searched his car.
That would be illegal, on the part of the officer (in Pa.) if it went down the way you describe. A firearm is not PC of a crime and not PC for a search without your consent.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
spencer280 wrote:
why wouldn't you tell the officer you have a gun. if you are not hiding anything you are fine.
This is simply very naive.

Please watch both of these vids:
http://paopencarry.org/forum/dont-talk-to-the-police-t-5.html

Add to that that people have had their firearms UNLAWFULLY confiscated by thug police. They would not have had them taken had they kept their mouth shut.

As for traffic stops. I don't answer ANY questions.

i seen a man not tell the officer he had a gun the officer seen it. the guy was taken out of his car handcuffed they searched his car.
That would be illegal, on the part of the officer (in Pa.) if it went down the way you describe. A firearm is not PC of a crime and not PC for a search without your consent.

But... but Rich, didn't you know if you're not doing anything wrong, the police won't bother you?! :lol:

spencer280

imported post

i have to say that in your eye you my think a cop has to have Probable Cause to search your car. well i have to say that a cop only has to think your hiding something and that gives him all the Probable Cause he needs. i am not sticking up for the police oh hell no. but if you have a cop come up to your window you give him your id and reg. the other cop see a weapon on your side. keep in mind you didn't tell the officer. what do you think that cops going to do. I'll tell you . you my have a gun to your head right it make scene to me i believe in open carry and i do it all the time , i leave my house I'm carrying all the time. ya you could not tell the police you are carrying and they may never find out. but that one time the cop does and you didn't tell him.
i have seen that video don't talk to police but what i have seen of it mainly deals with someone being arrested and the cop asked question and you do not talk i know that. but a routine traffic stop whats the big deal telling the cop you are carrying a weapon when you have a permit to do so. and what is the just course for that office to confiscate that weapon off of you. there is none.
and a police officer does not have to have probable course to pull his weapon if he feels his life is in danger that's all he needs.

whats bad is im all for the gun rights of pa and all over. i just think if more cops know we are carrying and it wouldn't be so new to them. remember a right not exercised is a right lost. well when you get pulled over exercise you right tell that officer you are carrying a weapon and you have a permit. be proud that you are legally able to do so in this great state of are's. getting pulled over by a cop and carrying a weapon doesn't have to be a big secret you are not breaking any laws have that weapon in your car. i know i am not afraid to tell an officer no way would i be afraid to

i will go tomorrow to a friend of mine hes wife is in are fire dept. he is a detective for the kittanning state police. and i will ask him his opinion on the hole deal

Aran

Banned
imported post

spencer280 wrote:
I'll tell you . you my have a gun to your head right it make scene to me

...a police officer does not have to have probable course to pull his weapon if he feels his life is in danger that's all he needs. ..

...well when you get pulled over exercise you right tell that officer you are carrying a weapon and you have a permit.

i will go tomorrow to a friend of mine hes wife is in are fire dept. he is a detective for the kittanning state police. and i will ask him his opinion on the hole deal
1. What the **** is wrong with you?

2. What the **** is wrong with you?

3. What about the right to remain silent? Also, what the **** is wrong with you?

4. STOP DOING THIS ARGH. :banghead: WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU?

You know what, nevermind me coming on the 28th. I'd likely spend the whole time pounding my head on the table.