• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns & Ammo blown away by Silver Eagle Group

hsmith

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Are you thier Public Relations guy something? All your posts are about them and only them:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_user.php?id=24255&posts=1

Not an attack on your person, just an observation on my part. If all you care to do is promote them, then by all means feel free to do it.

Yeah, he has to be associated. He has only posted about one topic and one topic only. I don't buy he is just "interested" in the range, at ALL.

I call shennanigans.

homeyclaus

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
I'm more "blown away" by Silver Eagle's donations to anti-gunners.

No thanks, I'll spend my money elsewhere.
Only a matter of time before that gets posted on the G&A site too. Heck, if I had the time to dig the links up, I may just do it myself.

No sense supporting people who aid and abet the enemy.

Neplusultra

imported post

homeyclaus wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:

No thanks, I'll spend my money elsewhere.
Only a matter of time before that gets posted on the G&A site too. Heck, if I had the time to dig the links up, I may just do it myself.

No sense supporting people who aid and abet the enemy.
There were links posted in one of the other threads about them.

HBA

imported post

Gee, I must have missed the passing of the Fairness Doctrine.

The threads on here are 80-20 anti-SEG. And you whine non-stop about my highlighting the venue.

Pretty fishy to me. Wish I had time to investigate your ties.

Gimme a break.

It's a free country, ladies.

No one can stop your whining about SEG.

And I'll exercise my right to support them.

Have a nice day.

IanB

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:

Wait, what's this about? I'm thinking about getting a membership there, but if they are the "Earl Curtisof Ashburn" I will surely pass.

Since I'm feeling lazy, anyone got those linkies?

IanB

imported post

Thanks for the info, you saved me from sending my hard earned money to a charade.

OK, SEGwill now to be referred to as "Blue Ridge North" whenever I speak of them.

Wow, even more questions now... What did the owner of SEG say to Alan Gura that was so bad?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.

From arf:

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:
So is anyone going to tell us about how SEG treated Heller's attorney?

I'm paraphrasing here so bear with me. Dane VonBruchienreichardt (forgive the butchered spelling) went to the open house at SEG to check out the range. He introduced himself to one of the owners. All he said was 'Hi, I'm Dane VonBruchienreichardt, attorney for Dick Heller of the DC gun case.' Before he could say another word, the owner came back with, "We don't get politically involved. We don't want that kind of attention." And other comments like that... He cut Dane off time and time again and would not let Dane speak to anyone there and rushed him out the door. All Dane wanted was to see if he could set up a place where he and Dick Heller could go shoot in relative peace and these guys acted like he was the Devil incarnate himself. They lost a couple of very good customers for nothing.

Several others there who witnessed the exchange mentioned how things like "get him out of here" was whispered between the owners and some of the staff.

The day after the open house, Dane called me and told me what happened. He had no idea why he had been treated like that and he didn't know what he had done to cause such a reaction. I was offended that he would be treated such and decided at that point that I would avoid SEG like the plague.

As I said at the beginning, I am paraphrasing some of the comments as this is from memory.

Mike

nova

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Wow, even more questions now... What did the owner of SEG say to Alan Gura that was so bad?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.
I didn't hear that one...

as for SEG, it's too far for me anyhow but the donation thing is just another reason.
EDIT: if that story about the treatment/opinion of Heller is true, that's just another reason to top it off.

HBA

imported post

Horrible people. They sound despicable.

What's that?

There are two sides to every story?

Uh. Not here.

Pretty fishy.

nova

imported post

HBA wrote:
Horrible people. They sound despicable.

What's that?

There are two sides to every story?

Uh. Not here.

Pretty fishy.
Well, I haven't heard the other side of the story because they haven't come out with one.

People are free to donate to whoever they want, just as I have the right to decide where or where not to shoot. Distance is the main factor, but all this crap I keep reading makes the decision more concrete for me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hsmith wrote:

Thanks for the link, HSmith. I was aware of the practice, but didn't realize it had a name.

I don't know whether HBA is an employee, advertiser, etc.

But I have to say his unrelenting support COMBINED with his responses to the voiced suspicion and a few more pointsis suspicious.

If I were earnest about letting my buds in on something good, I'd respond differently to the rejection. I thinkthat there is a subtle difference between being interested in helping your buds find out about a cool new place, and being interested in promoting the interests of a cool new place.

I went back and checked. He has only posted on the SEG threads. Nowhere else.

He has started to attack the entire forum membership, not the naysayers: "[Two sides to every story, but not here.]" And maybe another or two similar comments where he is not a member of the group correcting an individual member of the group, but an outsider criticizing the entire group.

This not correcting an individual member of the group is telling, I think. If he wanted to helphis buds, he'd discuss/correct the naysayers while at the same time promoting the group to his buds, I should think.

Also, while I have not read or re-read every one of his posts, he seems rather consistently supportive of SEG. And, remember, SEG is a brand new entity. Such strong loyalty to anew entity has to make one wonder. How does one know enough about a new entity to be or remain so loyal?

Also, starting a brand new thread linking to the SEG website, while at the same time declaring thatSEG blows away a respected gun store? Rather than just say, "Hey guys! Check out their cool website!"

While none of this isdefinitive, it certainly raises very big flags in my mind. I'mrather suspicious of him at this point. There may be perfectly innocent explanations. I may besettling oncertainsignificances where there are easily alternative reasons. But, I think I'll need to see more before I accept.

hsmith

imported post

Citizen wrote:
hsmith wrote:

Thanks for the link, HSmith. I was aware of the practice, but didn't realize it had a name.

I don't know whether HBA is an employee, advertiser, etc.

But I have to say his unrelenting support COMBINED with his responses to the voiced suspicion and a few more pointsis suspicious.

If I were earnest about letting my buds in on something good, I'd respond differently to the rejection. I thinkthat there is a subtle difference between being interested in helping your buds find out about a cool new place, and being interested in promoting the interests of a cool new place.

I went back and checked. He has only posted on the SEG threads. Nowhere else.

He has started to attack the entire forum membership, not the naysayers: "[Two sides to every story, but not here.]" And maybe another or two similar comments where he is not a member of the group correcting an individual member of the group, but an outsider criticizing the entire group.

This not correcting an individual member of the group is telling, I think. If he wanted to helphis buds, he'd discuss/correct the naysayers while at the same time promoting the group to his buds, I should think.

Also, while I have not read or re-read every one of his posts, he seems rather consistently supportive of SEG. And, remember, SEG is a brand new entity. Such strong loyalty to anew entity has to make one wonder. How does one know enough about a new entity to be or remain so loyal?

Also, starting a brand new thread linking to the SEG website, while at the same time declaring thatSEG blows away a respected gun store? Rather than just say, "Hey guys! Check out their cool website!"

While none of this isdefinitive, it certainly raises very big flags in my mind. I'mrather suspicious of him at this point. There may be perfectly innocent explanations. I may besettling oncertainsignificances where there are easily alternative reasons. But, I think I'll need to see more before I accept.
I would put money on him having a vested interest, because as you pointed out - all his threads are directly linked to SEG. Look at longwatch - we all know he works at G&A, but he participates in MORE than that and his opinions on things in no way reflect G&A!

I wouldn't have as big of an issue at all if he had full disclosure. I don't buy "I am just interested in the place"

Chuckles

imported post

nova wrote:
Well, I haven't heard the other side of the story because they haven't come out with one.

People are free to donate to whoever they want, just as I have the right to decide where or where not to shoot. Distance is the main factor, but all this crap I keep reading makes the decision more concrete for me.

To be fair, I don't think Scott or Dario plans to spend time monitoring the internet forums and responding to these accusations (whether or not they should is a completely separate topic). If you really want their story and an explanation, confront them. They are in Ashburn; and phone number and email address are listed on the SEG website. I have been reading these threads and it doesn't seem like anybody has bothered to dig just a little deeper.

I certainly won't factor in Bill Ford's donations to both Carl Levin and Barack Obama when it comes time to purchase my next vehicle; nor does it bother me Ford vehicles are union-made. Raise your hand if you hate what China has done to the US businesses but continue to shop at Wal-Mart? For the same reason, I don't care if the Marquez family donated to or voted Democrats so long as they are not admittedly against our 2A rights. At the same time, I don't buy anything from S&W since they are actually in the gun business. If I only patronize businesses whose executives agree with my political views all the time, I get the feeling I won't be spending much money at all. So we all have to decide for ourselves where/when to draw the proverbial "line in the sand".

Common sense tells me they are unlikely anti-gun so as to cut off their own lifelines, but if suspicion is enough for you to condemn somebody, that's your God-given right as well.

All I am saying is, if any of you feel strongly enough about this boycott thing, go ask them for an explanation and be a hero to the rest of us.

wrightme

imported post

How would post counts here have anything to do with the "fairness doctrine?" This website is someone's private property.

HBA wrote:
Gee, I must have missed the passing of the Fairness Doctrine.

The threads on here are 80-20 anti-SEG. And you whine non-stop about my highlighting the venue.

Pretty fishy to me. Wish I had time to investigate your ties.

Gimme a break.

It's a free country, ladies.

No one can stop your whining about SEG.

And I'll exercise my right to support them.

Have a nice day.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Chuckles wrote:
I don't care if the Marquez family donated to or voted Democrats so long as they are not admittedly against our 2A rights. At the same time, I don't buy anything from S&W since they are actually in the gun business. If I only patronize businesses whose executives agree with my political views all the time, I get the feeling I won't be spending much money at all. So we all have to decide for ourselves where/when to draw the proverbial "line in the sand".
+1