• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a modest proposal (apologies to charles lamb)

old dog

imported post

[align=left][/align]Think for a moment before you reject this.

HCP holders are solid citizens, thoroughly vetted by the authorities and known to be among the most law-abiding of all.

What if the state looked among these 200,000-plus Tennesseans and offered them a chance to join a formal reserve state militia? It would be subject to activation only by the governor or the head of the DPS.

Admittedly, this would rarely or never happen. What it would do is provide a legal, constitutionally unassailable device to thwart any DC effort to interfere with state's rights. And of course it would defuse antis' complaints that 2A protects only the milita rights of the states.

Talk about impotent fury!

suntzu

imported post

old dog wrote:[align=left]
Think for a moment before you reject this.

HCP holders are solid citizens, thoroughly vetted by the authorities and known to be among the most law-abiding of all.

What if the state looked among these 200,000-plus Tennesseans and offered them a chance to join a formal reserve state militia? It would be subject to activation only by the governor or the head of the DPS.

Admittedly, this would rarely or never happen. What it would do is provide a legal, constitutionally unassailable device to thwart any DC effort to interfere with state's rights. And of course it would defuse antis' complaints that 2A protects only the milita rights of the states.

Talk about impotent fury!
It is called the Constitution...I would like to see Tennessee draft a bill and pass it just like this one from New Hampshire, and also another which asserts the rights of the state of Tennessee and it's citizens under the 10th Amendment--just like 12 other states are now considering: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2009/HCR0006.html

the link to another similar bill is :http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/House%20Joint%20Memorials/4009-State%20sovereignty.pdf[/align][align=left]
[/align]I did not cut and paste due to the large size of the legislation.

The NH bill has not passed yet--and whether it does is yet unknown.