• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wake Forest PD confirms OC is just fine

glockaholic

imported post

I recently moved into the Wake Forest area and will be OC'ing. I called the Wake Forest PD to see what they had to say about it and they confirmed that it is perfectly legal as long as the gun is not concealed (which by definition is not OC'ing anyway, but I didn't want to split hairs with them). Would've had to politely educate them on preemption if they had claimed otherwise. :)

Are there any other Wake Forest OC'ers on here?

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

I live in Orange County (two counties away from you, separated by Durham County), and I work in Alamance County.

I OC nearly every day of my life, almost everywhere I go. I OC at every gas station, every fast food restaurant, Wal-Mart, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, the mall, GNC, AT&T, Barnes & Noble, outlet shopping centers, apartment neighborhoods that friends live in, and probably lots of other places that I'm forgetting. With my loaded 9mm handgun clearly bulging off the side of my hip, I've had cops glance at me, stroll by me, drive by me, check me out up and down. Never once have I been approached or questioned by any of these cops about my gun. In fact, I occasionally shoot them a nod or a quick wave, as soon as they've spotted my weapon, and usually I get the same gesture returned from them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with OC'ing. I have a CCH Permit, and aside from at my job, rarely do I carry concealed. One of the things I love about OC'ing is the fact that I am advertising to others that owning and carrying a gun is OKAY. As a result of Hollywood movies, popular TV shows, and the news, there is this image that millions of Americans have engraved in their heads that guns are associated with only two types of people: Police and Bad guys. OC'ing by regular, everyday citizens helps to spread the message that it is OKAY for normal, law-abiding "good guys" to carry guns.

The Biss

imported post

If I had been elected mayor here in Wake Forest, I would have been very friendly to open carry. Right now though, as a private citizen... well, I'm STILL friendly to open carry.

Additionally, I am working with Commissioners Drake and Stinnett to get a two week bowhunting season within the town limits. Both of them are vegetable gardeners and realize what a destructive force deer have become.

spydersmom

imported post

The Biss wrote:
If I had been elected mayor here in Wake Forest, I would have been very friendly to open carry. Right now though, as a private citizen... well, I'm STILL friendly to open carry.

Additionally, I am working with Commissioners Drake and Stinnett to get a two week bowhunting season within the town limits. Both of them are vegetable gardeners and realize what a destructive force deer have become.
Hi Biss! Yeah, a lot of us were hoping (and making it known with our votes) you'd be our new Mayor too. Do you think as a whole our town administration/LE shares your friendly take on Open Carry?
tammy

The Biss

imported post

Difficult to tell, honestly. It's not a hot button topic currently. I did have a nice little heart-to-heart with the interim chief of police about the unconstitutionality of our very frequent license checkpoints. It was friendly and we agreed that we disagreed. I would be interested in getting his opinion on OC. I might give him a buzz sometime the week after next.

The Biss

imported post

Oh, and thanks for your support! I had an idea it was going to be a longshot. Consider this: a libertarian Constitutionalist with an unpopular message that the town needs to be completely out of debt, running against an 8 year popular incumbent who likes to spend money and make things pretty.

:banghead:

We'll see where the US is in four years.

The Biss

imported post

glockaholic wrote:
You had my vote, Biss. And a sign in my front yard to boot. ;) There's always next election.
Thanks Glock!

I have a question for the Wake Co. folks here. Where do you guys go to shoot? I have some friends who have acreage out in the country, but it's kind of a pain in the tuckus to call them and say, "Hey, can I come out and make a bunch of racket at your house today?"

I have my card for the Wake Co. range down in Apex, but once again, the drive is a little far. Does anyone know of a place to shoot "no questions asked" where you can go out there whenever to bust a few caps?

eb8301

imported post

I recently started to exercise my right to OC in Raleigh. My brother lives in W.F. off S.Main st and used to OC quite a bit before he obtained his CC permit. No problems thus far. Glad to hear W.F-PD is pro OC.