• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you open and conceal carry in WY - MT People - NEW LAW

Catherine

imported post

If you open and 'conceal carry' in WY - MT People please note the new WY Law!

Wyoming Drops 14 States From Reciprocity

Quote:
TO: All Wyoming Sheriffs
All Wyoming Chiefs of Police

DATE: February 12, 2009

RE: Concealed Firearm Permit Reciprocity

I am writing to let all the agencies in Wyoming know of substantial changes resulting from review of other states’ concealed firearm criteria. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office recently completed examination of the other 49 states statutes for the purpose of honoring concealed firearms permits issued by another state, or reciprocity.

Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-401(a)(iii), Wyoming will recognize a permit from another state that “has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general . . ..” The Wyoming Attorney General has determined that with the exception of 8 states, presently all the others concealed firearm permit statutes are not sufficiently similar to Wyoming’s. Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous
statutes do not.

The Wyoming Attorney General holds that if a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies a Wyoming resident, is also needs to disqualify an out-of-state permit holder. Due to the difference in how each state handles controlled substance convictions, Wyoming is also limited in our ability to maintain reciprocity with states we may have previously.
Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts and Utah.

~~~~~

We travel to WY, usually once or twice a year, and my husband carries open and conceal. I thought that if many MT people traveled to WY that this may be important to them especially if they carry BOTH ways. I would not want MT people who thought that their CCW was still good in WY to get into a problem now! This is a shocker to me on this change.

I wonder what the LAW is on this now for your vehicle. Loaded or unloaded guns in your vehicle and/or 'storage'. I will have to double check all of this now.

My groom aka husband said to me that he does not want to travel to WY now since I told him about the new law. He said that WY just closed their door to many MT and other people who brought CASH into their state! He does like to carry BOTH ways.

Catherine

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=406508

Catherine

imported post

The WY AG has reversed the decision.

See TheHighRoad.us - LEGAL section.

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?s=16ea264d65723e8a2f7ef2b0345c6490&t=406508&page=3

Catherine

The Wyoming AG has reversed the decision.

http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWP.html

The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office is undertaking a thorough review of the concealed carry statutes of the 49 other states to determine which states have laws similar to Wyoming’s. Once that review is complete, this website will feature a list of the states from which Wyoming will honor concealed carry permits. Until then, the Division of Criminal Investigation will honor permits from those states with which Wyoming had reciprocity as of January 1, 2009.

Accordingly, Wyoming will continue to recognize concealed firearm permits from the following states. The listing also encompasses those states that have indicated they honor Wyoming permits.

Alaska Louisiana Oklahoma
Alabama Michigan Pennsylvania
Colorado Mississippi South Carolina
Florida Montana South Dakota
Georgia New Hampshire Tennessee
Idaho New Mexico Texas
Indiana Ohio Utah Kentucky

Rev: 02-19-2009

~~~~~

MT GUNNY

imported post

Must of had some Interesting Calls to the AG and other High Officials to get them to Rethink the Decision. This is Good They Could Possibly add to the List!

Thanks for the Good News Cathy!