• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My experience at Waffle House! No open carry!

jhuskey1861

imported post

I have been dining at Waffle House all of my life. It is one of my favorite places to eat. But last night I had a confrontation with one of the employees at this particular restaurant. I didn't get his name. But I think he was the only one working the register at the time. He looked to be in his fifties and had longer black hair. He was about 5'8". It was Sunday, about 10:45PM. He was not my server, but he checked me out at the register. And while doing so, he asked me if I was a police officer? I said no. And he said that I wasn't supposed to be carrying a firearm on the premises if I wasn't a police officer. I told him that I have a permit issued by the state and I am legally allowed to carry anywhere that doesn't serve alcohol. I asked him if there was a sign posted stating what he told me? And he threw his hand up and said "somewhere around here". I eat out often at many other restaurants and I never encounter problems like this. The State of Tennessee issues handgun carry permits that specify the permit holder can carry open or concealed, so long as the place doesn't serve alcohol or the business doesn't have a sign posted prohibiting firearms. Please let me know where corporate stands on this issue, because it will determine whether or not I will remain a Waffle House customer. Thanks, Jason Huskey

Dear Mr. Huskey:

Thank you for contacting us about your experience in Brentwood, Tennessee. We appreciate our guests taking the time to inform us about their experiences.

We apologize for the situation you experienced at our restaurant. No fire arms, guns, knives or other potentially dangerous weapons of any kind are allowed on Waffle House property, except in the possession of a law enforcement officer (with proper identification and credentials and/or in uniform) or a security guard (in uniform). Anyone else is asked to leave their weapon locked in their car while dining in the restaurant. Even if you have a license to carry a concealed weapon, this does NOT give you the right to carry it on to private property, such as Waffle House restaurants. Since this location is owned by Southeast Waffles, LLC, we have forwarded your message to the franchise owner. Our goal is to make sure that our guests receive exceptional service and quality products.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We express our regret and hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Sincerely,

Dennis
Waffle House Customer Support

old dog

imported post

Small loss. I have found Waffle House food to be mediocre and overpriced.

HyDef

imported post

So, only cops are allowed to use knives to cut their waffles? I guess they have to bring their own knives?

crotalus01

imported post

All waffle house restaurants I have been to in TN are improperly posted with a sign on the outside wall in the parking lot - improperly posted, but still posted. You might get away with carrying there, but if they ask you to leave and you come back armed a week or a month later and they remember you it could lead to a criminal trespass charge.

jhuskey1861

imported post

They'll never charge me with anything because I have no intention of ever setting foot back in there again!

sheepdog

imported post

...mine has no posting in Tx...I took a gun off a young man there last year after he had a negligent discharge in his pocket...(may have had one in his pants, too...not my job)...and held it and him for the police to deal with...noone ever knew I was armed...one time when CC was beneficial...

jhuskey1861

imported post

The email they sent me came from wafflehouse.service@na.ko.com.

But a guy named Swain Reeves? I think, called me and left a voicemail. He said he was the district manager for Franklin and Brentwood, TN. His phone # is (615) 218-8063.

jhuskey1861

imported post

Oh, and Dennis, I guess, wasn't brave enough to put his last name on there. And there was no address, but I believe it came from their corporate office in Atlanta.

SDguy

imported post

I just e-mailed Wafflehouse asking for clarification. I also let them know that if they do in fact have a no firearm policy that I will no longer be eating in their restaurants. My personal safety is first and I can always find a firearm friendly restaurant.

We shall see what they say of if they respond. The more of us who contact them the better.

jhuskey1861

imported post

Thanks alot SDguy! You've got that right. There are plenty of other places to eat that don't mind a sidearm! And those are the places that'll be getting my money from now on!

SDguy

imported post

Below is a copy of what the Waffle House send back to me in an e-mail. My response is listed first so you need to scroll down to see what they send me back.

I appreciate your quick reply. Due to your no firearms policy I will no longer take any meals at any of your Waffle House restaurants. In addition, I will inform my firearm (firearm is a single word) carrying associates who also carry legallyof your policy so they too can decide not to eat at Waffle House restaurants.

NormChristopherson

-----Waffle House Service <wafflehouse.service@na.ko.com> wrote: -----

To: xxxxxx
From: Waffle House Service <wafflehouse.service@na.ko.com>
Date: 03/09/2009 09:07PM
Subject: RE: Firearms in your restaurant

[font="Default Monospace,Courier New,Courier,monospace"]Dear Mr. Christopherson:

At the Waffle House Guest Response Line, we received your inquiry today regarding our firearm policy. Thank you for taking the time to send us your question.

No fire arms, guns, knives or other potentially dangerous weapons of any kind are allowed on Waffle House property, except in the possession of a law enforcement officer (with proper identification and credentials and/or in uniform) or a security guard (in uniform). Anyone else is asked to leave their weapon locked in their car while dining in the restaurant.

Even if the customer has a license to carry a concealed weapon, this does NOT give them the right to carry it on to private property, such as Waffle House restaurants.

Thanks so much for writing, Mr. Christopherson. We appreciate your interest and look forward to seeing you in one of our neighborhood restaurants soon.

Sincerely,

Kelly
Waffle House Customer Support
[/font]​

Sonora Rebel

imported post

So... if you're inna Waffle House 'n there's a robbery (or worse) you're gonna be one of the sheep. No thanx. I think I OC'd in one of 'em here 'couple years ago on Ina Rd.early in the mornin'. (I don't keep track of where I carry... only where I can't.) Real simple solution... don't patronize 'em... conduct your own boycott among your armed friends as well.

SDguy

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
So... if you're inna Waffle House 'n there's a robbery (or worse) you're gonna be one of the sheep. No thanx. I think I OC'd in one of 'em here 'couple years ago on Ina Rd.early in the mornin'. (I don't keep track of where I carry... only where I can't.) Real simple solution... don't patronize 'em... conduct your own boycott among your armed friends as well.

Why not send them an e-mail message telling them so. In this economy restaurants are hurting for customers. Our no patronage messages mean more these days than anytime in the past.

The Waffle House e-mail address is listed several times in this thread.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It's too bad a national joint like Waffle House would ask that its patrons be disarmed. Granted I don't frequent Waffle House, but of the few that I've been to I've only ever run across one that had any sort of signage and I didn't notice it until I had been seated about 30 minutes. This Waffle House was in the area of the Charlotte NC airport and the brown "No Firearms" sign was placed up near the ceiling on the brown wall.

Perhaps John or Mike can place a link to this topic on the national parts of the forum so other gun-owners can know that Waffle House does not believe their safety is of their concern.

HellsHammer

imported post

I just completed the carry course to carry in TN. The TBI agent that conducted the course made the following comment: "If a place of business post signage restricting the carry of weapons on it's premise, you could be charged with carrying a weapon with the purpose of going armed if you violate it. They can also make a verbal statement to you that carries the same weight". He went on to say that he and other law enforcement officers do not recommend "Open Carry" due to situations you mention and also due to the fact that it makes you "Priority One" to any criminal that may decide to commit a robbery. If there is no signage and you conceal carry, there would be no reason for this employee to make such a verbal declaration and all would be happy. Your best bet would be to tuck it in and find a restaurant with better food.