• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at my work?

hunter45

imported post

I work outside at a private country club. My job consists of greeting the members, getting their clubs, cleaning their clubs, and cleaning/putting away the golf carts. There's no signs posted about firearms, and I don't see anything in the membership handbook that I have. Do you think I should OC to work one day? I'm pretty sure my boss would not like it and he would probably tell me to put my gun in my car, but ya never know.

I was just thinking about this since I'm going to be working there when I go home for spring break in a couple weeks. Last time I worked there was in the summer before I started OC'ing. If they would let me OC at work that would be a great opportunity to educate quite a few folks since I'm interacting with people all day.

RogueWarrior

imported post

It might be a good idea to ask you manager about it just say a member of the club asked you if the club has a weapons policy

Seigi

imported post

Most people, when asked about whether weapons are allowed, would answer no unless they were certain they were allowed and supportive of the policy. They expect the issue to end if they say "no" but fear potential liability if they say "yes" and something happens. You'd be inviting him to say no if you just ask "Are weapons allowed? A customer wanted to know." Also, even if he says "yes" when he sees that you're the only one showing up with a weapon your boss will know you lied to him about the club member. No good comes from that; it'll be detrimental to your job and to his opinion of OC.

If you're going to abide by a "no guns" response anyway then rather than showing up with a gun one day blind I think it'd be more practical to make sure he's tolerant, if not comfortable, first. Feel out his position on guns, and if he's against them but salvageable see about converting him. You said you wanted to educate people at work; start with him.

Good luck.

chris in va

imported post

Do you think I should OC to work one day?

Nope. Even if the manager clears it first, prepare to be 'talked to' when a customer complains. We're all trying to retain our jobs right now, hate to see you lose yours.

jbone

imported post

You must have signed some employment paperwork, see if there's anything written.