• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL for 18+

Vandal

imported post

In Idaho, under Title 18-33 section 11, it states, "individuals between the ages of 18 and 21 years old who in the judgement of the sheriff warrant the issuance of the license to carry a concealed weapon." Is there a similar law in Washington state?

I am asking this out of sheer curiosity. I am 23 and have a CPL for ID and WA.

compmanio365

imported post

I was just looking in the RCWs, and I have never seen anything like that. Frankly, I think if you're old enough to go to war for your country, you're old enough to drink booze and carry a gun. I'd like to see something introduced to lower the age to own a handgun down to 18. Just my .02.

holeinhead

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I was just looking in the RCWs, and I have never seen anything like that. Frankly, I think if you're old enough to go to war for your country, you're old enough to drink booze and carry a gun. I'd like to see something introduced to lower the age to own a handgun down to 18. Just my .02.
+1

just_a_car

imported post

The RCW's say you can own a handgun at 18, but you can only carry it under special conditions:

RCW 9.41.060 Subsections (6), (7), (8), and (9) all apply to "any person" in regards to RCW 9.41.050 which defines certain restrictions on firearms carry.

See also the section titled "Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one": RCW 9.41.240, which references the above two sections.

I agree they should lower the legal carry age, since they can own it. It's kind of like the sound suppressor ("silencer") law where you can own one and not use it (which we will hopefully change with the bill this session).

just_a_car

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Also RCW 9.41.050:

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.
Yes, but if they are within the descriptions of any subsection of RCW 9.41.060, they are exempt from that law.

just_a_car

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Right. I was just pointing out another section of the RCW that points towards the lawful possession of a handgun by an 18 to 20 year old.
Actually, that's a restriction on the lawful possession, but I see where you're coming from. I was gearing my post towards showing how someone 18-20 could legally carry, not go into the details of every situation where they couldn't, as it's much simpler to know you're in the right by one of those exemptions than to make sure you're not breaking some random law you forgot to read.